Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: 5ed General Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:09 am 
Site Admin

Anyone planning on picking up the books (and the little intro piece) next month?

Post subject: Re: 5ed Next Month
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

No, I won't be. I'll be looking for a pdf of the books to peruse before making a call on this one. 4e burned me pretty badly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:54 pm 

I might get the starter set, and will definitely pick up the free PDF thing they eventually release. If the bets tests were any indication it should be alright, if not great. Definitely more my speed than either 3rd or 4th editions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:20 am 

Basic Rules free PDF http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... basicrules

Haven't had the time to go in depth, but it looks simpler than 3.x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:26 am 

Oh it's already out? Well alright then! Time to check this out.

Ugh, looks like they kept the human "+1 to everything" from the beta, but they also included alternate rules of +1 to two scores, a bonus feat, and a bonus skill proficiency. Though feats themselves are treated as an optional rule.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:34 am 

Not me, man. For me, D&D is and always has been the many flavors of 3E. I'm too old to change.

If I want to play different rules, that's why there are other games.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:53 am 

Interesting things I'm noticing.

Fighters benefit from the most ability score increases (can be replaced with feats).

Going by the random weight/height rules; the very tallest a human can get is 6'4", with a maximum weight of 270. Feels good to be at the near-pinnacle of human size. Guess they really want to emphasize the whole tiny medieval people thing.

There's a lot of Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance references in this book, whether book quotes or side notes about characters or even the ethnicities of the Forgotten Realms. They even use Tika Waylan and Artemis Entreri as examples of how two fighters (with a bit of rogue) can roll similar scores but be vastly different in personality and tactics.

Digging through the Backgrounds now. So far my opinion is that this game doesn't have a whole lot to offer anyone who actually likes playing in one of the previous editions, but it could be a good bit of fun for new players, as well as people cynical of previous editions. Which is not to say 3e diehards won't like it, but we all have our preferences. Kain, for example, would probably like it just fine, even if he'd rather play Pathfinder if given a choice.

It's closer to 3rd Edition in how class features work (not everything is a "power"), though the decreased ceiling for ability scores and level-based bonuses to rolls is more 4th Edition, and it actually goes a lot further than 4th Edition did. With few exceptions, you can't get any of your ability scores above 20, and proficiency bonuses max out at +6 in most cases. There are a few exceptions, like a dwarf's stonecunning lets them add twice their proficiency bonus when checking out rocks and whatever. This is something I definitely like, if for no other reason than the fact that it eliminates the need for "minion" mechanics or contrived circumstances to make low level monsters still worth using against higher level characters. Warduke or Heinrick can still mow down the swarm of ghouls without much effort, but in this edition the ghouls aren't just futilely scratching against an unbeatable armor class or artificially reduced to a single hit point. Instead the biggest differences in levels lie in hit points, damage dealing capacity, and a wider spread of options.

EDIT: Gender fluidity or whatever the most generalized term for that is is endorsed by this edition. Examples they give are a female character who presents themselves as a man, a male who feels trapped in their female body, a bearded dwarf female who gets mistaken for a male, and apparently Corellon is often seen as androgynous or even hermaphroditic. MythMage should be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:28 pm 

http://boingboing.net/2014/07/21/an-exc ... new-d.html

Some of the art in the Player's Handbook and a sneak preview of the warlock class, which seems to have lower level spell access than the wizard, but comes with bonus pact abilities and some weapon and armor proficiencies. mite b cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

Huh. The smudged art style isn't really doing it for me, but I do like nearly everything I've seen about the rules.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:18 am 
Site Admin

I picked up the Starter Kit last week. It's not really worth it if you're paying for it yourself (fortunately, I bought it with a B&N gift card and, since I rarely shop B&N these days, it was a tolerable buy), but it's a nice insight for those unfamiliar with the playtests. So far, it seems to be more like any of the 3ed iterations than 4ed, although very streamlined.

I'll end up buying the core rulebooks as they come out, although I doubt I'll ever have a chance to play. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next