Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Anime.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:58 pm 

All these topics about shows and books and film and nothing about anime? I'm shocked. I can't believe no one here is watching it except me.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Anime.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:13 pm 

Something about most of it just rubs me the wrong way. The closest I really come to watching anime is the Avatar series.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:51 pm 

I can defiantly understand with some series. Evens some series I like such as Sword Art, Overlord, and Attack on Titan are pretty contrived and predictable.

I have watched some lately though that are a bit outside the box and I've really enjoyed Future Diary, Knights of Sidonia, Stein's Gate and Tokyo Ghoul (first season).

It is hit or miss though. I commonly will watch 1-2 episodes of 3-4 series before I find one that hooks me in and i finish the entire thing and usually it isn't the big name stuff like Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

Berserk is my absolute favorite, to the point of influencing most of my own fantasy creations. Avatar, obviously western made anime, but no less anime for all that, might be one of the best done shows, objectively, of all time. After that, Princess Mononoke, Claymore, Escaflowne, Ninja Scroll, Sin, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion...it's been awhile since I was able to sit down and enjoy a serious run of anything. Currently, I start a lot of it and can't finish it due to lack of time.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:39 pm 

I'm actually rewatching Berserk right now. I finally got to see all the Golden Age movies on KissAnime.

I've been trying to find all the manga of it, but it is beyond a pain.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:17 pm 

I watch anime but most of the stuff I watch, I don't see as stuff you guys would be interested.

If you liked SAO, it may be worth looking into .hack//Sign, Accel World, and/or Log Horizon.

.hack//Sign was aired around the time SAO was written, from what I've heard. Less action than SAO, but also less harem genre influences. Accel World is written by the same author who wrote the SAO light novels, and is set in the same universe, farther along in the timeline. Log Horizon I don't know much about, but it has the same "trapped in an MMORPG" premise. My younger cousin, who enjoyed SAO and Accel World, enjoyed Log Horizon.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:30 pm 

Glabrezubane wrote:
I watch anime but most of the stuff I watch, I don't see as stuff you guys would be interested.

If you liked SAO, it may be worth looking into .hack//Sign, Accel World, and/or Log Horizon.

.hack//Sign was aired around the time SAO was written, from what I've heard. Less action than SAO, but also less harem genre influences. Accel World is written by the same author who wrote the SAO light novels, and is set in the same universe, farther along in the timeline. Log Horizon I don't know much about, but it has the same "trapped in an MMORPG" premise. My younger cousin, who enjoyed SAO and Accel World, enjoyed Log Horizon.

I'm already ahead of you.

I've watched .hack//SIGN, .hack//ROOTs, and .hack//UNITY and played all 7 of the video games. Accel World I tried but couldn't get into. I also watched Log Horizon already.

Also read about 11 of the .hack novels, love me some hack. Only read 3 of the SAO novels.

Another one in same genre is Overlord but the "PC" was actually a bad guy so bit more interesting.

You never know though for my interest. What you watch?

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:18 am 
VIP Member

I used to watch a fair amount of anime (like Azumanga Daioh, Black Lagoon, Desert Punk, Dragon Ball Z, Excel Saga, Fullmetal Alchemist, Great Teacher Onizuka, Haruhi Suzumiya, Gundam Wing, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Lucky Star, Record of Lodoss War, Slayers, Space Dandy, and Vampire Hunter D, among others)... though the only recent series I've seen are Monster Musume and Dragon Ball Super.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:28 am 

I watched about a quarter of what Phaedros listed to one extent or another. Reading manga lasted longer for me, particularly One Piece, until I stopped caring enough even for that.

These days I have trouble just sitting down and watching anything. I only renew my Netflix account for like one show and then cancel again.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:45 am 

So in the interest of keeping this brief, I'll limit myself (for this post anyway) to currently airing shows. I may make later posts on other shows I've watched.

Of the shows airing this season, I'm only watching one anime, and one anime-esque show (since we've including discussion of Avatar in this thread, I figure it isn't too off topic).

The actual anime I'm watching is Owarimonogatari, which is a continuation of the Monogatari series that began in 2009 with Bakemonogatari. Monogatari is by Studio SHAFT, for anyone that might mean something to (SHAFT is responsible for, among other things, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Puella Magi Madoka Magica). Monogatari is very dialogue heavy and riddled with fanservice. This macro (NSFW) is the most succinct summary of the series I could give you. The fact that I had to label that NSFW probably says something.

The anime-esque show I'm watching is RWBY, created by Monty Oum. You may know him as the guy who animated Dead Fantasy and Haloid. He passed away suddenly in February following season 2 of RWBY, but the team working with him on RWBY has made the decision to continue. The entire series is available to be viewed for free at roosterteeth.com.

A series of four trailers is available for those curious about RWBY.
Red
White
Black
Yellow

The voice actors are initially unpolished in the trailers and in season 1, but have improved.

(If you don't like the Jaune Arc in season 1, you aren't alone. I promise, though, it is by far the worst the series gets, and it has yet to get that bad again since.)

Report this post