Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:53 pm 

UNF.

Meanwhile, in the batcave...

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:31 pm 
VIP Member

This was... certainly something.

It had great actors, amazing visuals, and some very memorable scenes... but it also had poor pacing, choppy editing, questionable characterization, and a story that went all over the place. I feel like they had all the right ingredients to make something amazing, but it just didn't come together quite right.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

Reposted from my thoughts on Facebook:

If you really hated Man of Steel, you're probably not going to like Batman v Superman. It has flaws, and most of them are the same as MoS, which is that the character you are used to is not the one on the screen. A lot of the character(s) seems to get missed, or overlooked in favor of massive explosions and such. And while there is a place for that, it isn't what makes the characters compelling.

Take Avengers, for example. The Battle for New York isn't the movie's most powerful moment. The best parts are when normal men rise to the occasion. Phil Coulson vs Loki. Or even more poignant, the old man in the Berlin crowd. "There are always men like you."

It is pieces like this, that seriously stand out in a comic book movie, that let you know that it's not just little kids running around in shiny (or neo-modern dark) costumes.

Batman vs Superman lacks this emotional intelligence. It isn't a bad movie. It also isn't a particularly great one. I give it a C+. If you wanted to see Superman and Batman fight it out, it's great. If you wanted that fight to matter, it offers less than satisfying fare.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:00 am 

I caught a matinee showing, so I ended up paying $15 for a Large cherry coke, a box of junior mints and a movie that... wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen. I've paid to see worse films, this one was just exactly what I expected it to be, which is a little disappointing but sadly not every film can be Jupiter Ascending. I also got a half off a self serve frozen yogurt because I had a ticket stub, they had a couple dairy free options which was nice. Net viewing cost was $13 and two and a half hours of my time, so it could have been worse.

I get the distinct impression that the director really really wanted to have both Lex Luthor and the Joker involved somehow, but he couldn't swing it for some reason so he just mashed them together and made quirky lex luthor instead. I seriously have some difficulty believing that people in that universe can come away from any meeting with Luthor without flashing "holy **** this guy is an insane supervillain" alarms sounding off in their heads - the jolly rancher scene was horrifying because of this.

Yes I am going to give this unstable rich kid with boundary issues and an obsession with making anti-superman weaponry access to alien tech and the corpse of Zod. This is a good idea. My constituents were very wise to elect me.

Also - How did he get that open mason jar full of pee into that senate hearing?

Batman has far too many guns. He is also far to comfortable with murder and mayhem in this incarnation than I'm comfortable with Batman being. There's a chase scene where he punts a car full of thugs across the road with the batmobile and then he shoots that car with a bat-cable a moment later so he can drag it behind the batmobile where it careens and tumbles behind him so he can use it as some kind of kinetic hammer against other vehicles. The entire time I was thinking "jesus this batman is a maniac, if they weren't dead in that car then they sure are dead now." It sincerely felt like he was Jason Todd and not Batman.

I liked Alfred. I was disappointed that the cameos of the other metahumans consisted of the flash buying milk, cyborg getting slapped by a bad cgi cube and aquaman poking a camera with a stick. Wonder Woman was great in the... like collective 10 minutes of screen time she had. The only scene that made me sit up and be wowed was when she showed up at the final fight and that musical sting went off, that was fantastic.

I get the feeling that they're gonna aim for Darkseid being the big bad in the overarching plot. The Batman: Fury Road sequence with the parademons made me roll my eyes otherwise.

Also OMG WE KNOW HOW BRUCE WAYNE'S PARENTS DIED JESUS STOP RECAPPING EVERY TIME I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH YOU THINK THAT SCENE WITH THE GUN'S RETORT BREAKING THE STRING OF PEARLS IS TOTES AWESOME BECAUSE YOU WENT TO ART SCHOOL IT IS CONTRIVED!

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice [SPOILERS]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:40 am 
Site Admin

So, there's now a spoiler alert here, so don't get all pissy if you read this post and learn something you didn't anticipate.

Kain is right: it's not as bad as a lot of critics are saying. It's also not a good movie. It's probably not as good as Man of Steel and it's far and away worse than Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. Marvel's films curb stomps this second iteration of DC's fledgling universal-spanning franchise. It's clunky while being too long; superficially intelligent; and completely mischaracterizes its main characters.

The most fun character in this, Affleck's Batman, is so grossly represented that I almost walked out of the film. Batman DOES NOT KILL. The first time you see him kill someone, it's in a dream sequence, so I was like, "Fine. A pass." But when he's murdering people with gusto later in the film during the "real stuff," and doing so with abandon, I was furious. And he does more of it throughout the film. Hell, he's ready to KILL SUPERMAN! Yes, I can buy Batman finding a way to contain him, but outright murdering him? NO!

As for Superman, his animosity towards Batman makes little sense when he should be worried about how divisive his presence is on a global level. Why he's so focused on one man in Gotham to the degree that he is comes across as even more forced than Batman's hatred. And, yet again, Superman is pretty morose in this film.

Lex Luthor... The concept for this character (indeed, the concept for the entire plot) was fantastic! He's a tech guru who believes that Superman is a threat and manipulates both Batman and Superman (both far too easily) into a fight. Oh, and he knows everyone's secret identity, apparently for years, which begs the question, why not just use that against them rather than some elaborate, if fun, manipulation. And that's kind of a problem with the film in general. There's all this extra crap floating around that just convolutes any real character study that maintains its ties to the source material. As for Luthor, he's another psychotic. That's right, yet another faux Joker. It's like folks can't accept the possibility of a super villain who's just a greedy, bitter ******* who's jealousy becomes an obsession. Nope! Nope! He has to be crazy.

So, what's good about this film? Like I wrote a paragraph earlier, the concepts the film tries to explore are great. The manner in which we see heroism or feel safe are all explored. The fear of having someone with so much power on the one hand and the feeling of security on the other. And there's plenty of eye-candy. The film is gorgeous and the fight sequences are spectacular (when Batman's not murdering people).

I think Kain does an excellent job summing one of the major flaws this movie posseses. Its lack of emotional intelligence. Aside from Batman's weird PTSD-induced visions, what motivates these various characters is so under explored it's damning. Why they do what they do makes little sense. Batman goes from hating Superman so much that he's ready to kill him to suddenly being his friend? The Senator portrayed by Holly Hunt (I think) doesn't trust Lex Luthor, but we never really understand why she's really after Superman (and we NEVER learn). Lois Lane knowing that the kryptonite murder spear Batman made is necessary to defeat Doomsday is never explained. There's a lot of these plot, story, and character holes because Snyder is less interested in story telling and more interested in imagery. No, he's not as bad as Michael Bay, but at least Bay doesn't pretend to be anything more than someone focused on spectacle.

So, in the end, this is a seriously flawed film in which the heroes aren't particularly heroic or sensible. Aside from Wonder Woman (who is just sort of... there), the heroes are either murderously angry or unsatisfyingly morose. These aren't the World's Finest; these are the Watchmen aping as the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight. And it's a shame.

C

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:38 pm 
VIP Member

... what the hell, Snyder?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I thought that guy was Jimmy Olson, but what a total waste.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:59 pm 
VIP Member

Report this post