Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Belial's Bound
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:02 pm 

Eventually, sinking deeper into his cups, Melrov does ask a single question of the witch.

"Why?"

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:34 pm 

"Because I want to help you." she answers the drunken man quietly. "My heart is not stone, Melrov."

She tops off his glass again, suspecting the man has lost count. She has not.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:09 pm 

"Not what I meant... well, not all of what I meant," he says, his words starting to slur.

"Why you wanna help? Why pick me in the firs' place? Why Balentyne? Why... all of it?"

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:59 pm 

"It may not seem it sometimes, I know," Puella looks at her hands, "but it is better this way. For you. For me. Even for them."

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:28 pm 

Melrov grunts, and stares into the remains of the liquor. "I was 'fraid you'd say something like that. "

He sits in silence for a moment, then takes a deep breath and a gulp of... water? "Permission to speak freely, ma'am?"

Puella nods.

"There is one thing you can do for me, to help," he says, sitting up and staring straight ahead, refusing to look at the witch. "Don't ever tell me that again. That's for our own good. You might actually believe that's why you're doing this, you've sucked that poor, dumb, kid Jacques into it, but I don't. We're monsters, every one of us... and there's not enough booze in the world to make me forget it," he says, pouring the remaining whiskey onto the floor, to an outcry from one of the other drinkers. He pauses to kick away the goblin who runs up to lick the spilled alcohol. "I know full well I've damned myself, and I'd do it again, given the same reason. I'll follow you, I'll keep my end of the bargain. But I'll do it with my eyes open."

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:37 pm 

Puella's face might as well be the Mask, for all the emotion it shows as she looks from the spilled drink to Melrov.

"Soldier, do you know what is the most terrible of all the torments of the Lord?"

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:48 pm 

That question gives Melrov pause for a moment. He thinks of all the horrors he has seen in the service of his new masters... the murders, the endless torture, the deceptions and false hope... and yet, he never suspects for a moment that he has seen the limits of their depravity. The devil they serve must be even worse.

"No, I don't, ma'am."

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:48 pm 

"I do. Some day, I will tell you, and then you will know that I spoke truth and truth alone."

She rises.

"You may give me a proper answer to my question by the next full moon, or you may wait for me to choose on your behalf. Good night, soldier."

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:45 pm 

Puella lets the days with no answer go by. On the night of the full moon, though, Melrov finds a small bundle beside his bed, wrapped in coarse string and bearing a note.

Read and take some leisure, soldier. I am giving you the evening off duty as well.

Opening the bundle reveals a bottle of a strong sweet white port, and a small roll of parchments bearing a fairy tale.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:07 pm 

Puella continues to keep an eye on Melrov, and a few similar small gifts follow over the weeks as the man continues to distinguish himself. New clothes, not flashy, but more comfortable than the old Talirean uniform growing ragged with hard use. More fairy tales, some suitable for reading to Elaine. Ample alcohol of several varieties. A new mattress of wool to replace the straw-stuffed mattresses most minions sleep on.

Notably lacking are horrific trap gifts designed to inflict misery.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next