Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Book of Vile Darkness [Old Prestige classes]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

Lazarous wrote:
Selah wrote:
Merorem has many great combat options, but his most powerful stuff remains chicanery with time manipulation. I'd have to heavily review the stat block to be able to give a more in depth response.

I'd imagine (now that I know that nobody [at the moment] really knows for certain how Merorem would fight) he would fight like any other Archdevil, however different. Merorem's particular M.O. essentially builds in the idea of exploitation. Time Travel is just too powerful to account for under any system NOT explicitly built for them (such as the Chronomancer sourcebook of 2nd edition). It's just so powerful that the only valid threats to such an entity is another entity with Time Travel. I discussed this with my group, when we were talking about how to take down the Iron Siege, and came to the conclusion that Merorem is perhaps Dispater's greatest offensive tool. It is incredibly difficult to defend against an Archdevil traveling back in time and snapping your mother's necks before you were born.

To be clear, I knew how to run him in combat back when I was running the Iron Siege. Time and lack of ongoing familiarity with the rules means I can't be specific now without a serious review.

And, as I pointed out to a few at the time of the Iron Siege, Merorem's capabilities as a defensive tool were significantly more important to Dispater in most of what I ran. I steered clear of kill-your-grandmother type cheese.

Post subject: Re: Book of Vile Darkness [Old Prestige classes]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:59 am 

Someone killing your mother before you were born is precisely why it is so important to be your own grandfather.