Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Developing the Horn
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:51 pm 

Just a thread for trap ideas, miscellaneous Horn improvements and features to add, and defensive ideas. The Horn improvement fund currently has spent 3200 gp and has 9303 gp remaining.

Defenses in place:

The best resource for viewing active defenses is the Maptool file.

-Gongs

Current features and resources of note:

The lower caverns hold:
A source of plentiful acid in 2
Potentially useful (?) cave fish in 3
An exquisite secret door in 5, the only interior way into the Sanctum
Noted as suitable beast lairs in 6, 7, 14
Magic mud pits (?)
Potentially useful (?) strange fish in 11.

The first floor holds:
A magic non-spoiling storeroom (with an intact minotaur corpse) in 1-3
A broken tavern and kitchen in 1-10 and 1-11 (the Horn's only kitchen, it seems)
A magic water source in 1-16
A broken alchemist's lab (with golem) in 1-18
A nearly functional smithy in 1-22
A broken cell for the 2-1 pit trap in 1-23
A broken torture chamber in 1-25
A sturdy iron doored prison in 1-26
A mysterious, magic throne with nonsense script in 1-27

The second floor holds:
A broken pit trap in 2-1
A secret door between 2-1 and 2-2
A cell in working order for the 3-1 pit trap in 2-5
A nice bedroom with a masterpiece bed in 2-8
A broken room inhabited by oozes in 2-12
A magic water source in 2-16
A mysterious, magic throne with nonsense script in 2-20

The third floor holds:
A broken secret door between 3-2 and 3-3
A room with more nonsense script in 3-9
A set of secure steel cells in 3-10
A broken brothel in 3-11

The sanctum holds:
The ritual site
A source of unholy water
Scrying and alarm resources, via the Eyes.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Developing the Horn
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:26 pm 

Defenses that Puella can contribute magically:

glyph of warding. Noteworthy spells Puella can put into glyph form include blindness, suggestion, bestow curse, and charm person. Her blast glyph deals 3d8 damage, and sonic blast glyphs might make decent alarms. However I'll be placing some self imposed limits on glyphs, and I'm not going to spam them endlessly. I'm enjoying the chance to use underused spells, but use, not abuse. Puella will not be painting the entire dungeon in her own blood.

Glyph of warding is pretty potent at this level - DC 28 perception/disable is high - but I expect eventually that will lose some luster. It might not be entirely unwarranted to think of setting up glyphs in conjunction with other traps, or where combat maneuvers might force foes into the area.

sepia snake sigil. This is a rather more limited defensive spell than the glyph, since it only protects texts. However, for texts, it is quite potent. So it might be worth putting some old tomes or yellowing pieces of paper with cryptic dungeon clues out as bait. Adventurers always seem to pick those up. Heck, we could probably just reuse some of the texts we found. If we picked them up and read them, others probably will too.

Features and resources Puella wants to add:

Puella will want to equip some rooms as Ultimate Campaign downtime rooms, particularly, she will seek to add a well-appointed library for readings both leisurely and magical, and construct a summoning chamber for when she eventually develops lesser planar binding.

Organization

Looking at the organization rules, it appears the organization will likely be based out of both the Horn and Farshore. Some actions are for in town, like 'frame someone' or 'spread disinformation' while others such as 'trap building' are aimed at the Horn. So we should probably also make sure that there are bunks, kitchens, etc. for minions in the Horn.

(as an aside, while the orphanage will serve for now, we might want to acquire some personal turf in Farholde to serve as an HQ there)

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:03 pm 

I've done a review of what is where and added it to the first post.

Gaer, about your idea of sectioning off large parts of the Horn as death trap, the third level seems to be the most amenable to that, because it does not seem like there is anything we need and that's irreplaceable on that level. And if we don't keep minions or prisoners up there - admittedly the steel cells are nice, but there's plenty of other prisons - we can probably just fill the level up with traps and leave it to the undead.

It's also Ezra's stomping grounds, and I think it would be best to keep living inhabitants a bit further away. Don't want to be constantly tempting him. I bet that we could pretty easily fill up that level with traps and such, and leave it to its own devices.

The second level looks like the most conventionally defensible, with a trap followed by a very long, exposed hallway open to fire from 2-16. Also a long, vegetation-choked staircase so we could try blasting foes from above before they even get inside that way. There's the hole in 2-12, but with oozes there guarding it, it doesn't seem like a huge issue.

Also, being on a different floor than the wraith provides some insulation against wraith snooping, since he can float through thin walls but not through thick floors. He'd have to use more monitorable accesses, like the hidden stairway.

The first level is not quite as strong, but still pretty good, and contains most of the 'working' rooms. Its entrance area is more winding and cramped, less amenable to bringing a lot of minions to bear, but not bad for ambushing foes like we did last time.

If we block off the door from the entry way into 1-19, that also means that any rooms where minions might be working or prisoners held would be pretty deep into the level and hard to access, and would have to pass through a large open area in 1-16 where we can bring numbers to bear.

The Sanctum is relatively inaccessible, except to flyers, woo. But also not particularly fortified.

So I'm thinking we leave level 3 to traps and wraiths, and between our minions and ourselves guard the first and second level. Put our main HQ, bedrooms, minion bunks, etc on the second level. We leave one of the daemons, plus some traps in the Sanctum as a guard, the other accompanies us around (so that we can be warned and get there immediately if there's a backdoor attack).

That leaves the lower caverns. Probably if we put a gong or something in there, the boggards can handle minor threats and call us for major ones. Add some jungle beasts and some traps, and it should be pretty decent.

It's also worth noting that you appear to have to use the outside stairs or use magic to get between levels, which is good for us, since if we're having issues on the first level, we can have Hexor or Vexor bounce us up to the second one, behind an intact front door defense.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:53 pm 

Some additional thoughts (bouncing off the wall here)

Simple traps with captured crossbows and any poison that Teeg can whip up.

Acid pits, traps, drops, ect for the lower levels.

Sealing an entrance or two (nominally) to funnel would be invaders along courses we desire, rather than potentially letting them raid any of the floors they happen to choose.

Entrance ways lightly defended to draw in enemies, with stiffer resistance once they are inside the horn.

I like the idea of bricking up (or stone shaping) the balcony at the sanctum, in order to prevent easy entrance there for fliers. We've already seen one flying enemy. If we could layer illusions on top to hide the entrance entirely and make the only way up the stair well, that's even better.

We're going to need more prison rooms.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:57 am 
Site Admin

I've been absent from this portion largely because it seems in good hands, and because I've had my hands full rebuilding or recovering the lost files from Savage Tide, and catching up the log there.

We definitely need more prison rooms. I will look over the rooms in depth and give some opinions though.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:02 pm 

You may reroll any failed knowledge checks (such as the fish) after putting one more rank in the relevant skill.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Note that any damage dealt to Ezra cannot be healed, unless he has some other powers, without feeding him. I do not know that we are in for a longterm alliance with the daemon harbinger or his minions, but it is something to consider, whether our intent is to allow him to expire or prevent him from doing so.

I agree with using easily replaceable or cheap minions in the outer ring of defense. This keeps us from being bothered with truly minor threats, while also allowing competent foes to get too deep in the palace for escape.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:14 pm 

Kain Darkwind wrote:
Note that any damage dealt to Ezra cannot be healed, unless he has some other powers, without feeding him. I do not know that we are in for a longterm alliance with the daemon harbinger or his minions, but it is something to consider, whether our intent is to allow him to expire or prevent him from doing so.

Is there a reason I'm not aware of that he can't recover hit points naturally, as an intelligent undead? Or that negative energy spells won't heal him?

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

WarDragon wrote:
Kain Darkwind wrote:

Is there a reason I'm not aware of that he can't recover hit points naturally, as an intelligent undead? Or that negative energy spells won't heal him?

Nope, just me not noticing that intelligent undead recover hit points daily. Of course negative energy spells can heal him, although I didn't realize he had access to them.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:49 pm 

You do not know whether he does or not. He is keeping his own capabilities close to the chest.

Gaerlan, Puella, and Zikomo all do, though.

Report this post