Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Doogie Howser (Duke'e, how's it going) (With the Duke)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:42 am 

Gaerlan attends to the Duke's invitation in fine leather boots, black trousers, and a mossy green coat that lets the hint of his silvery armor peak out at the sleeves. He wears Blacktongue on his hip, but is otherwise lightly armed, and arrives in the city riding powerful black warhorse with two mounted riders at his back and a stunning and exotic dark haired beauty dressed in a dazzling red gownthat glitters with rubies who introduces herself as Traya DeMarco at his side.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Doogie Howser (Duke'e, how's it going) (With the Duke)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:03 pm 

The Duke receives Gaerlan and Traya in a small, private dining chamber away from the public area of the palace. He is allowed to retain his sword, but the guards must remain outside, well away from the Duke's presence.

"Welcome, Master Gleim," Duke Hadrian greets him, rising as his guests enter the room. "And Lady Demarco, was it? Charmed, I'm sure." He kisses Traya's hand, with a grace that a certain bugbear could only envy. "Bringing such an... exotic young woman to this affair, and one to whom you are clearly not wed? Quite a daring move on your part, sir; one that shows you have little fear of scandal. I admire that. Come, come, be seated."

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:56 pm 

The 'guards' of course remain with the horses, chatting amicably with the the Duke's own men as their lord proceeds into the tower with Traya. He smiles at the Duke's comments, "It would be more daring to try and keep such a beautiful woman locked away. But I'm glad it pleases you your Grace. I've find that living concerned with what others, especially those lacking boldness or responsibility, might think is far more tolerable than living contrary to what you yourself know to be true." He pulls out a chair for Traya and passes off his blade to an arms-men before taking his own seat. "From our brief meeting I summarize that you feel much the same. Dangerous though that is in these times."

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:54 pm 

The Duke is entirely unconscious of the irony in Gaerlan's statement about keeping Traya locked up. "Hmm, perhaps so. Let us say that I find it... more profitable to keep one's eye on the long term, and consider my actions in that light, than worrying about short term scandal. As well as basing decisions upon reason, in place of lesser men's fears."

"Lady DeMarco, would I miss my guess in saying that you are not a native of our fair isle? What brought you to Talingarde, and how do you find it?"

Traya smirks flirtatiously, replying, "You might say that I came for business, and stayed for pleasure, my lord duke."

A period of small talk follows, until Hadrian asks the question that he's been dying to; "You met in Farholde, then? I believe I extracted a promise when last we met, that you would tell me more of your... adventures, would be the right word?"

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:34 am 

Gaerlan casts his eyes downward, his tone becoming more solemn, "That had, I think, been my intention when I departed for Farholde your Grace. Adventure, wealth, the treasures of the Horn of Abbadon. It turned out to be a rather more serious endeavor. How much do you know of the history of that cursed place?" As needed he fills in the Baron sufficient to conclude with, "The Victor, I'm afraid, was rather less through in his destruction of the cult than he might have believed, and the departure of most of the colony's fighting men proved an excellent opportunity for the cult to be rekindled. When we arrived the Horn was crawling with foul tribes, undead horrors, bound daemons, and the returned from the grave High Priest of the Horn." He actually looks away as he continues, in brief, "and other, less savory elements at work in Farholde itself, at every level." He looks back to the Duke, "I trust I can say that your Grace without offending your sensibilities?"

"Things got worse for the people of Farholde. Slaughter and abduction in the outlying farms, assassinations in the colony itself, murder in the streets... the list goes on and on. A dozen sorties were made against the Horn by a dozen different groups: most never returned. Lady DeMarco's own group was one such - betrayed by one of their own, but rescued from slavery or death."

"It took month's your Grace before the last of the worshipers of the Horsemen fell, and the Horn was pulled down. In that time the convent was destroyed, the knight's of the colony were slain almost to a man, and even the Baron himself fell. In the end it was no relief force, not the return of the Lord of Farholde, not the Church, not the Crown that saw the Horn of Abbadon pulled down into ruin and that cult run to ground. It was the young, and the poor, and the disadvantaged that took up arms. It was foreigners," he gestures to Lady DeMarco, "who fought bravely. And when we were finished we left. Too many bitter memories in that place, too little opportunity, and too much at stake elsewhere."

He smiles as he turns back to meet the Duke's gaze, "I'm certain that such is not as complete an answer as you might wish your Grace, but I bid you trust me in this matter: the details are messy, and dark, and good for no one, and I should rather not speak ill if the dead in your presence."

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:51 pm 

"Hmmm." Hadrian takes a contemplative sip of his wine glass. "A most disturbing tale indeed, on a variety of levels, my young friend. Yes, I think greater detail is hardly necessary at this time, but I may send a scribe to call upon you for them at some future date. What 'opportunities' did you see here in Ghastenhall that brought you to our door, then?"

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:14 pm 

"The castle you were kind enough to grant, as a start, your Grace. As I mentioned before, we brought many noncombatants with us from Farholde, and a safe haven for them in close proximity to one of the greatest cities in the land was appealing. The great libraries as well, and the tolerance of Ghastenhall relative to other cities in Talingarde." Gaerlan smiles, "and in truth the proximity to the great battles to come in this war. My men are fighters the equal of any in Talingarde. I would not ask them to sit this war out, even if I shall ask them to wait out the winter."

"It seemed the best fit of any of the options."

Report this post