Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Game Interest
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:59 pm 

In light of Kain's decision with his game, and Wicked's off week nature, I'm considering running a game on the side in a Wicked Style. This would be a less intense game to scratch the itch, and get my own feet wet. It would be a Paizo AP, and relatively on the rails.

I'm leaning towards Shattered Star or Mummy's Mask at present, but am open to suggestions if neither prove palatable.

Would there be any interest in such a thing?

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Game Interest
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:00 am 

Very possibly, yes. I think the Mummy's Mask appeals to me more at the moment, but I'm game for either.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:12 am 

I'm game. I'd be more inclined toward Shattered Star, of the two, but neither would break my top five Paizo APs I'd be most eager to play (If you'd care for suggestions, they'd be Wrath of the Righteous, Reign of Winter, Iron Gods, Rise of the Runelords, and Giantslayer, in that order).

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:46 pm 

Three of those are in my top 5 as well Glab, but Star and Mask are, I think more in line with where I'd like to start as a GM. More linear, and realitively limited in scope. I don't want to bite off more than I coild chew, and several of those are ones I would want to substantially expand on.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:42 pm 

I'm tentatively interested. I will say I am a little wary of committing to a full AP, because I've become a wary of Pathfinder high level combat over IRC. I also want to think about whether or not to try to join a weekend in place of STAP or take weekends off for a while.

I have a slight preference for Star over Mask, but it is a preference largely founded upon ignorance of either AP, and then there is the aforementioned tentativeness. so feel free to select either as far as I am concerned.

The factors which make me prefer Star are:

-I'd favor a bit more heroic feel over the mercenary vibe that I hear Mask favors.
-I don't hate traps, but neither am I crazily in love with them, and I think they must be all over Mask.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Both APs feature dungeons in the old school RP sense of the word strongly. I would not suggest that there are more traps in one than the other. However, Star will provide you with relentless dungeons, and little in the way of (at least during a given adventure) anything else. Mask, strangely enough, features some nonstandard adventures, including one with a mechanical system for 'beating' a library, and some other fairly RP heavy.

Neither adventure path favors the mercenary approach throughout. Shattered Star is the more fleshed out, both in terms of surrounding area and actual adventure cohesiveness. However, it does rather rely on the fact that it is a sequel to no less than four other APs to accomplish this.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:46 pm 

I'm leaning more towards running Star, because I think it has a pretty cool premise. Without giving away a great deal, the basic idea behind it involved letting players get a hold of a powerful artifact, then letting them use it. As Kain notes, it is pretty heavily focused on dungeon crawls, but between dungeons there is a fair bit of possible interaction. Overall though, it's a bit more straight forward in terms of goal and approach. You're trying to find an artifact's pieces and put it back together.

Overall the idea though is a more casual, limited in scope game than both STAP and Wicked. Huge and lengthy combats are less likely, and I'm going to put a fair bit of attention towards the idea of streamlining combats when possible to speed things up as much as possible. My goal is less mechanical perfection and lots of hard won fights, and more a bit of lighter adventuring. Not quite beer and pretzel, because I'd still like the world to feel pretty organic, but also less concerned with mook mop up for instance.

All the same, take your time and think on it. There is no need for an immediate decision. Kain, you are of course welcome to see if it's your cup of tea. I'm likely to play with things enough to throw you a few surprises.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Not at this time, I think, but thank you for the offer. Was just clarifying for Coriat, as his particular preference for Star seemed to stem from false impressions.

Running any AP at 20 point buy on the medium advancement track without adjusting any of the combats, would result in PCs crushing the encounters without difficulty.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:09 am 

Moving forward with this.

AP will be Shattered Star
Players begin in Magnimar with a scheduled meeting with a veteran adventurer named Sheila Heidmarch. You can be answering a wanted ad, invited because of a meaningful event in your backstory, following up with her as an old friend of the family, etc, but you will begin the game meeting with her.
Players start at level 1.
Kain's House Rules are in effect unless otherwise noted here.
Starting ability scores are 1d8+8 and place in order four times, then a 16 and 8 where you choose. If your total bonuses are not greater than +4 you can reroll (that is +4 after penalties).
Everyone starts with 2 additional skill points per level.
We will use Wicked's rules on ability score improving items.
Current intention is to run the game on off weeks for Wicked. If it proves enjoyable a more aggressive schedule may be pursued.

Tentative Start Date will be the 22nd. If I do not have enough interest here by the 15th additional recruitment will take place elsewhere. You have until the 15th to express any interest. No pressure.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:35 am 

For my reference:

<WarDragon> : 1d8+8, 2 , Total: 10
<WarDragon> : 1d8+8, 4 , Total: 12
<WarDragon> : 1d8+8, 2 , Total: 10
<WarDragon> : 1d8+8, 7 , Total: 15

Report this post