Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: In the Horn (pbp)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:32 pm 

Another interminable wait, in the pitch black - when will the light return? It can't be long ....

... soon now! Be ready!

...It must have been a day and a night...

...now...

...any moment...

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:34 pm 

The door opens. The light is blinding, now, and it takes a long time for the prisoner's eyes to adjust.

"Twice the sun has risen. And twice it has set. comes the familiar voice, infused with an odd formalism and rhythm.

After a long silence, Arissa can finally make out Puella behind the lamp.

"Well?"

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:48 pm 

I was planning to post tonight anyway, I swear! If we were using xp, I'd be tempted to dock it for sarcasm. :P

When Puella arrives and opens the door, she is greeted by an unexpected sight. Arissa, though still naked, sits on the floor at ease, the remains of food and drink around her. Her eyes blink in the light, and focus on her, with a smile, as well as a mad gleam that was entirely absent the last time the witch saw her. Part of the broken chain rests loosely around her neck, and from it hangs a new holy symbol, carved of stone... a symbol of neither Loki, nor the Lords of Hell.

"Hello, dear. I hope you were comfortable last night, while you left an old woman alone in the dark," she coos sweetly. "You know, the funniest thing happened... I tried to pray to your patrons, I really did, but they wouldn't have me. The Infernal snub was almost palpable. I can't imagine why," Arissa says with a laugh that starts out light and pleasant, and then rises to verge on the hysterical, before dropping back to a girlish giggle. "But then, I suppose someone else must have been listening." She caresses the new symbol between her breasts... which upon a closer inspection, seems to have been grown, and not carved, from the living rock of the Horn.

"Yes, they were listening... and they made me a better offer than Loki ever did, oh, but you were right about him, dear! My new masters are mostly happy with the progress you've made here, but they've decided they'd like a bit more of an active voice, in what's happening to their temple. And lucky me, guess who gets to be their mouthpiece?" The sign of the Four Horsemen gleams slightly as she laughs again.

She rises from her sitting position, and steps forwards. She's both taller and more voluptuous than Puella, her beauty undimmed by years, and seems not the slightest bit bothered by the armed guards, or her nakedness in front of her captors. "I know it's not quite what you had in mind, child, but I hope an alliance on those terms would suit you? It would be ever so much better for us to work together than fight any more, after all, we'll be one big, happy, evil family!"

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:36 pm 

Puella is taken aback at first, but Arissa's speech gives her time to recover. By the time the other woman finishes, a hint of a smile is tugging at the corners of the witch's mouth.

"A slave priestess. I wonder where your masters could have gotten that idea."

She looks the naked woman up and down. Arissa may have found her self-possession, but Puella has come a long way from the prisoner who would not meet her fellows' eyes, and she is not about to be overawed by a display of charisma.

"Come then. I will present you and your proposal to the Knot. But first you must be made ready. Walk with me."

Other slave women hurry to attend to Puella's clap, and Arissa is led in turn to the baths, the kitchens for hot food, the laundry for fresh clothes, rather better than the ordinary. Attendants provide all the care necessary to prepare her for an audience with the rulers of the Horn. And there is one more visit, too, to the forge.

Puella selects a wrought-iron collar, four-pointed and decorated, a cut above the crude, cheap and utilitarian collars worn by the rank and file slaves. But sturdy nonetheless, though it comes with no chain to lock it to anything else. Under the blacksmith's hammer, it is riveted firmly in place around Arissa's neck.

"Let it be a reminder of your loyalties." the witch remarks. "This way. My lords are ready to receive you now."

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:36 pm 

And receive her they did, Dear Readers! It's all in the logs!

But as the Horn's dungeons swell to bursting with new inmates, we turn our attention to another corner of that dark fortress of despair...

Inquisitor Folmarv Tengille awakens to darkness, and a voice. The feel of chains on his wrists, drawn up overhead. Dry, cold stone can be felt at his back - and nothing else, for his shirt, like everything else he bore into the Horn, is gone. Naked, bound, and blind, he can nevertheless sense movement nearby. Turning his head to follow it causes his collarbone to explode with pain. An unhealed wound.

"I took half a dozen of your men to question, Inquisitor. But I think that all the secrets I could wish for lie right here in that skull of yours."

The woman's voice - it is a woman, clearly - is somewhere in front of him. It sounds close.

"Why don't we spare the others an interrogation? Just you and I can cut to the heart of things."

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:44 pm 

Folmarv does not awaken gradually, nor thrash about; he snaps alert in an instant, nor does he cry out or jerk in pain when his fractured collarbone grinds against itself.

"Cut to the heart... is that an attempt to be droll? I admit, it does seem I underestimated you, diabolist. A mistake I can pray that those who follow me do not repeat."

"You will get nothing of value from us, I promise you that. Only two of my group knew anything of my plans; only I knew all. And all of us are trained to resist interrogation. You will be wasting your time in the questioning, unless you simply take pleasure in agony."

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:49 pm 

"I take no more pleasure in such interrogations than you did, Inquisitor, I am sure." More footsteps. She is pacing.

"You are very confident in yourself. Are those words empty, or will you stand behind them?"

The inquisitor hears the unmistakable sound of a book's pages turning.

"Quite a number of you people's books and plays tell the tale of some clever lad making a bet with the devil, and carrying the day, whether by courage, skill or wit. Do you care to join in the tradition? Say - a wager for your young priest's life. If you cannot fulfil that boast of yours, then I will not just interrogate him - I will cut out his heart upon the altar to Vetra-Kali, and let Abaddon claim his very soul."

A long pause.

"And if you keep your secrets for a term - nine days, say - we set him loose, and let him go freely, unharmed by us or ours."

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:27 pm 

"I am willing to make time for tradition, Inquisitor, but not for dithering. You've had enough time to decide whether you'll accept or not."

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:21 am 

The silence that follows is at last brought to an end by a heavy sigh.

"Tell me, do they preach incivility and contrarianism from the pulpit of every church of Mitra in the land? It is one thing to defy a rival when there is actually something at stake. But the level of sheer pointless rudeness and discourtesy that your coreligionists have demonstrated, almost from the first day, even when there is nothing but politeness to be lost... I confess that that, more than anything else, has taken me aback."

More footsteps. She is approaching.

"When I was in your situation, Inquisitor" - yes, the voice is very close now - "I bore my trials like an adult. When asked a question, I answered, either to speak the truth or at least to tell your men that I was determined to keep a secret. Do you know what would not have been appropriate? Childish sullenness."

He hears the soft whispering sound of steel on leather, then feels cold metal against his face.

"I regret that you have forced me to begin on such a sour note. But ditherers have no need for noses, Inquisitor, and neither do the shamelessly ill-mannered."

It is not the sharpest knife in the Horn, and so the witch has to saw.

[Intimidate 32]

Musical Interlude by Kain

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:44 am 

After what seems like a long time - and in truth, she has drawn it out - Puella steps back to look upon her work.

Perhaps he has screamed. The Inquisitor may consider himself inured to cuts and scrapes, racks and whips, and other such toys such as Halthus might bring to bear. But he has never been in the hands of the High Priestess of Belial.

Or perhaps he has held his tongue even now. It is no matter to Puella. She surveys the man, hanging from his chains, blood pouring from the nasal cavity that now gapes open in the center of his face.

"Now. Since you are determined to act like a child, Inquisitor, it is time for a lesson. Children do not get to have things their way. Instead... you will simply answer my questions. Whether you will or no."

A deep, rolling incantation in a dark tongue echoes around his ears, heavy with magical power, the words themselves seeming to feel, take up, and magnify the witch's anger. The Inquisitor senses somehow that this has become no such contest as he had imagined, merely her physical torments set against his endurance. Now dark forces are gathering to tear at his very soul.

Finally, the incantation reaches a crescendo, and fades away. Reeling, feeling a fog in his mind and a powerful nausea in his gut, the Inquisitor cannot help but feel that it has taken a part of him with it.

"I suspect you are beginning to realize the futility of resitance. I suggest that you answer my questions honestly, and spare your soul yet more wracking by the power of Hell."

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next