Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: KCG's Awesome General Information
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

KCG wrote:
I am looking to start a new D&D game played over the Internet using MapTool (1.3.b.77) and mIRC. Tentatively we are looking at a play time of 1 pm to 5 pm EDT, with adjustments as they happen. We will be playing with D&D Next (aka 5th Edition).

Server is Espernet. Room names are #KCGsGame and #KCGOOC

If you're interested post a 1st level character in this thread using the KCG Awesome Elite Array (16 15 14 13 12 11). Post using this monster template I made up a while back. We are playing with the feat variant rules, so if you are playing a human use the one that gets a feat.

Post subject: Re: KCG's Awesome General Information
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:49 am 

For prospective players jumping in:

All of the above still applies, however at this point of gameplay newly introduced characters will begin with 900 xp (and so get leveled up to 3rd level), and can add 200 gp worth of non-magical equipment (I highly recommend better armor but if you want a ton of waterskins who am I to stop you?).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:55 am 

Setting Information: this game takes place in a homebrew world which nonetheless corresponds to the planar existence as noted in the 5e books. Non-human races have the racial pantheons detailed in the Forgotten Realms settings: among humans the two major pantheons are the Greek and Egyptian, with others such as the Norse restricted to more insular cultures. Additionally, various legends, local hero-deity cults, scary monsters, and mysterious happenings also exist, particularly in the frontier lands such as the one this game is presently centered on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:16 pm 

KCG's Awesome Calendar.

Months of the Year:

Janus
Februs
Marchus
Aprilus
Mayus
Junius
Julius (often confused with Junius)
Augustus
Septembrus
Octobrus
Novembrus
Decembrus

Each month has 28 days, divided into 4 7 day weeks. New moon is always on the 1st, full moon on the 15th. Days are as follows:
Moonday
Zuesday
Hermesday
Marsday
Herasday
Posideonsday
Sunday

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:48 pm 

A Brief History Of Human Civilizations

By Einhard the Sage

While it's difficult to glean much in the way of useful information from the often exaggerated records of ancient human kings, their sagas combined with dwarven and elven records and the oral traditions of halflings can give us a fairly sensible idea of the major events that have shaped human history.

For much of our existence, humans tended to live an isolated tribal existence, warring with one another at times but more often attempting to survive against goblin and orc hordes, to say nothing of the occasional band of hungry giants, or worse. Each nation had their own gods, and each tribe their own particular legends and heroes and customs. Sometimes a tribe would grow large and powerful and do more than simply survive, but it never seemed to last more than a few decades.

A great change occurred when a tribe of Hellenes, the northern coastal people, made an alliance with one of the mountain kingdoms of the dwarves, approximately 1000 years ago. These Hellenes aided the dwarves in subduing their ancient foes, and received great knowledge of metal and stone in return. With this new power at their hands, they swiftly conquered and united the tribes.

At nearly the same time, though I cannot say for sure whether before or after, a high elf king fell in love with a Mizraim chief's daughter, a romance unheard of in its time. Yet the chief was cunning enough to ask for a dowry that would change his people's destiny forever: knowledge of the arcane. Just as the Hellenes did, this Mizraim chief raised his tribe above all others, though it would be son, Takhamen, who would succeed in forging the first Mizraim empire.

In the north, this renaissance quickly led to the Gothic Wars, where over the next few decades the Hellenes successfully conquered the Goth peoples of the forests and plains, while also successfully pushing back the savage Nords to the farthest reaches of the frozen north, where they could pester only themselves and whatever horrors dwelled there. It's believed the Celts were completely assimilated, though I have it on good authority that to this day there exist a few islands where they dwell, untouched by Hellen culture. Over the next few centuries Goth culture was transformed by their Hellen rulers, so that even centuries after when Goth kings rose up to slay their masters we still worship the same gods.

Having never ventured to their lands, I cannot speak with the same authority about the peoples of the south, but it is known that the Mizraim conquered much of the Suds, though they likewise rose up in time, and the ancient kingdom of Sudania remains to this day. Whether other nations also live in those lands I cannot say with certainty.

Having been displaced to their old borders by their former subjects, it was around 600 years ago that the Hellenes and Mizraim saw one another as their next frontier. Of course by now their own united kingdoms had fractured: some making war with their own or the other nation, others engaging in trade, at least one merging into a new nation. Throughout this, some Mizraim ventured as far as Goth lands, though it is known that the Hellenes never fared so well against Sudania. A long period of minor wars (primarily among nobility) and interaction swept humanity: one significant result of this is the Common tongue, which even other races speak to this day.

This period of growth and prosperity was shattered two centuries ago in the Great Uprising. While at the time it was only known that an alliance of orcs and goblins had taken place, it is now common knowledge among scholars that this alliance was brokered in the shadows by darker forces. What they are is less certain: some say elves from the underworld, while I personally suspect scheming giants. While humans, united with other civilized races, were ultimately able to defeat these vile foes, the cost was catostrophic: as many as 3/5 of the population had been either slain or fled entirely. Most famous among those who left is Prince Offa of the Goth Kingdom of Duoce, who despite his honor was forced to flee by his elder brother the King, so that their royal line could continue. Eventually Offa founded the Duchy of Fourche on a largely unexplored and mysterious western continent. Both the Kingdom and Duchy continue to this day.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:27 am 

House Rules

Grappling: once a limb has begun to grapple, that limb must be dedicated to the grapple. If the limb does something else (for example wield a two-handed weapon), the grapple ends. This may be RAI anyway, but I'm making it explicit in my game.

Cleave: Cleave rules are in effect, but it's your job to remind me of that. Remember you have to kill an otherwise uninjured creature with a single attack for it to activate.

Training: on page 187 you'll note that the game allows you to gain proficiency with a new tool or learn a new language by paying for training. This is acceptable in my game. I will however institute the following additions and exceptions:

Tools: you can gain a maximum of 20 tool proficiencies this way. Since it would take nearly 15 years of training to get to this point I doubt this will restrict anyone's character concept.

Languages: you can gain a maximum of 5 languages through this method. Learning a language only costs 125 gp, or 1 gp for every two days of training. If you really want to learn more you can always take the Linguist feat (or learn the comprehend languages spell somehow).

Skills: though not listed as an option in the book, I would allow this as well. Training for a new skill costs 300 gp and takes 300 days. You can learn a maximum of 3 skills with this method.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:01 pm 

https://kcgsawesomeddnextgame.obsidianp ... /dashboard

We now have an Obsidian Portal page. Like Kain I am offering 25 xp per wiki page, to a maximum of 1000 xp per character (and 500 bonus starting xp if your character dies and you have to make a new one).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

You need to add us as players. My yahoo address is my player ID.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:42 pm 

You should have invites.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Dunno why but even after clicking the link it doesn't add me to the campaign.