Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: KCG's Awesome Log
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 am
Posts: 1247
DungeonMaster The greatest stories often begin in the most humble manner A homebody's uncle has a birthday A pair of twins have a bossy older sister The sancity of an old church being fouled Our story begins with the young Valian Hawksword, a hunter and outdoorsman in the Duchy of Fourche He has been hired for a most curious job the gnome alchemist Nebin Stonetop seeks a mystical item on the Isle of Repose Originally used as a burial place for the wealthy deceased, this island gained a sordid reputation as a hideout for outlaws and other vile creatures In time this island became abandoned entirely, with nobles choosing less dangerous lands for their honored dead It is this island that our hero has now just landed upon Walled with sheer cliffs on all sides but the southern tip, he must guide his employer to his treasure and keep him safe from harm The half-orc barbarian Krusk has also been hired on as a personal bodyguard to the gnome Now begins the dangerous trek
Valian Valian looks around at the island he has just landed on
Valian While he does so, he checks his weapons and armor yet again, making certain he is ready for anything
DungeonMaster Valian sees before him an expanse of impressively ancient trees and a worn path stretching into their midsts A light fog has descended upon the island, as it often does, though it is expected to clear by noontime Valian's equipment is well-kept and ready for his disposal
DungeonMaster Nebin and Krusk step from the damaged and now leaking rowboat the three of you arrived on "Rest assured, good Master Hawksword," Nebin announces in a voice louder than is necessary, "my magic can have this boat repaired without a problem! But first, we must retrieve my prize!"
Valian Valian nods grimly, being as thirftful with his words as Nebin is generous Will Krusk take the lead, or shall he? He holds back to observe
DungeonMaster Krusk stands alert, his hands unconsciously fiddling with the handaxes at his belt Almost as an afterthought, Nebin exclaims "Oh yes, the map! Now where is it!?" As he shuffles through his comically large knapsack, a look of irritation crosses Krusk's face
DungeonMaster Suddenly the bolt of a crossbow whizzes past Krusk's head And then another! In the bushes ahead an ambush appears to have been taking place
Valian Valian leaps into action!
Valian Unslinging his bow, Valian returns fire
Valian Poorly
DungeonMaster The arrow sails over their heads, landing somewhere amongst the trees A fitting place for wood
DungeonMaster Krusk advances while grabbing his greataxe, but steals a glance back at his charge, the nervous gnome
Valian Valian notes his preoccupation with the gnome, but does not look back himself, instead readying for the inevitable volley of arrows from the cannibal women
DungeonMaster The savage humans move forward, now clearly seen clothed in tattered pelts But from where did they retrieve crossbows? It matters not at the moment, for they fire again This time one bolt strikes Krusk in the leg He grimaces, but does not falter
DungeonMaster Nebin moves closer to Valian, though refuses to get closer to the women than Valian himself
Valian Valian advances, firing another shot at the cannibals He idly ponders the ramifications of making assumptions about the women's diet before any facts are present
DungeonMaster Valian's arrow strikes true, burying his arrow deep within her exposed abdomen She screams in pain and fury
Valian Valian shakes his head, frowning at the foolishness involved in failing to cover soft vital areas
DungeonMaster Krusk struts forward, axe gripped in one hand as he flings a javelin with the other at the wounded woman
DungeonMaster Distracted as she is from her possibly lethal wound, she is unable to effectively dodge the javelin, which strikes her in the chest She falls, spasming once, and then no more
DungeonMaster Dropping their crossbows, the other two women pull forth wicked blades from their belts, springing forward to meet the half-orc in the fray
DungeonMaster The first blade swings wide, but the second catches Krusk on the chest More of this and he may not last
DungeonMaster Nebin takes a few steps forward before, as if with magic, he conjures a blob of acid that flies at the women!
DungeonMaster The acid makes their mark, already leaving painful burns on their flesh
Valian Shouldering his bow, Valian draws his twin blades, attacking the nearest cannibal with both!
DungeonMaster So effective is Valian's first attack that he need not use a second against the now throat-slashed woman, his second blade instead finding purchase in the shoulder of the now last-standing cannibal
DungeonMaster Krusk makes short work of the final cannibal, splitting her skull in two with a single swing of his large axe
Valian Valian leaves Krusk to tend to his wounds while he goes over the dead bodies, seeing if they have anything of value or interest
DungeonMaster The struggle appears to be over, but Valian's keen hearing catches the sound of another, still in hiding
Valian He sprints towards the final foe
DungeonMaster The final cannibal, realizing she is hiding from no one, attempts to disengage from her hiding place, but stumbles as she makes her way away
Valian In a flash, Valian is upon her
DungeonMaster Now in a blind panic, she attempts to drag herself away, not even thinkin to rise from the floor
Valian "Why did you attack us?" Valian demands, readying his blades to pierce her heart should she deliver an unsatisfactory answer
Valian "Who knew we were coming?"
DungeonMaster She hisses a bit as she forms her words, as though she were out of practice "Wewe are always watching The master, he bids us to slay all who come here We get the flesh, and he" she suddenly stops, as though realizing she said too much
Valian "And he gets what?" Valian urges her to continue Should she falter, his blade will not
DungeonMaster Looking warily at his blades, she decides to proceed "and he gets the bones He keeps them all, close at hand We know not why, I swear! But he had us dig up the dead here, and then when that wasn't enough, he told us to get more But we would get to eat what he didn't need"
Valian "Do you want to live or die, make your choice quickly," Valian orders
Valian He prods her with the blade when she does not respond
DungeonMaster "No no! Iyou would let me go?" She ponders your words The tiniest change, almost inperceptable, washes over her face The fear vanishes, and she slowly rises, her posture already straighter "I want to live" Her words are more distinct now, her accent a familiar one, those of the colonists like yourself "You should be careful, hunter We are a tribe of 27 in all, throughout the island They will attack on sight"
Valian "If you would live, you have a choice I knock you unconscious or you take up arms against your tribe"
DungeonMaster Krusk and Nebin now stand not far behind you, but do not get closer, seeing you have things well in hand
DungeonMaster She thinks for a moment "What if I can stop them? I think, if I can stop them, you won't kill anymore?"
Valian Valian considers and nods
DungeonMaster A thought suddenly crosses her mind "Why are you here? Have you come to kill the master? The elder says he suspects assassins will come for him always"
Valian "We care nothing for you and your master We are here for an item of power"
DungeonMaster "Unless" Nebin interrupts
Valian Valian allows Nebin to continue
DungeonMaster "Um, well, information on this island is scarse, as you can imgine! I did not expect anyone else to know about what I seek, but this 'master' of hers might! And if he does, and if he has it, then we may have torelieve him of it Now I know that's not part of the deal, but I think we can come to an agreement on this!"
Valian Valian arches his eyebrow at the woman
Valian He doubts highly that a discussion between Nebin and this mysterious master will result in a transaction of mutual benefit, but he is open to the possibility
DungeonMaster "The master has great power I don't know if it is from this item, or his god, or something else"
Valian "Well, if you both are open to negotiations, I get paid either way"
DungeonMaster Nebin counters "Well his power cannot be that great if his enchantment over you was so easily broken!"
Valian "So we're going to talk"
DungeonMaster "Valian, Krust, my good men, if my hunch is correct, this 'master' will prove a significant danger to us all if he is left to his own devices He's collecting skeletons, brainwashing these people into savagesno I have something else in mind besides talking! I will throw in another 100 gold pieces to each of your salaries for taking care of this man for good! That's 150 in all Each!"
Valian "And the woman who doesn't want us to butcher her sisters? Who you claim are under the thrall of this entity?"
DungeonMaster The woman stares at the bodies of the slain cannibals with confusion "SistersI do havebutmy head hurts"
DungeonMaster "Oh yes yes, I can pay her too if you insist You'll help us, yes? What is your name anyways?" Nebin inquires
DungeonMaster "My name is Redtoo-no, it's Margaret But I remember being Redtooth What is going on?"
Valian "You're coming out of your enchantment Alright, how bad are you messed up, Krusk?"
DungeonMaster Krusk looks at his wounds "Hmph, I'll live"
Valian "Then let's do this"
DungeonMaster Nebin lights up "Oh yes, the map! Here we are" Nebin hands you a rough map of the area You see it is roughly a straight shot about ten miles north to the mosoleum, which has a big circle around it and the word "treasure" written in red ink Throughout the map are also attempts to draw trees
DungeonMaster Margaret edges closer to take a look, "May I?"
Valian Valian pays close attention, committing the map to memory
DungeonMaster Margaret looks at it, then points at the red circle "He's here The others live alon this western side There are things in the east we try to avoid"
Valian "What sort of things?"
DungeonMaster "Wolves hunt around there And one of them mentioned seeing goblins Also a story about a dragon, but I don't think that is real"
Valian Valian files the news away for later "Well, then, I suggest we lure your sisters away before we attack the Dark Master"
DungeonMaster "Actuallyit's mostly men Us four always stuck together though The others don't like to shareI've been eating people" She seems more mystified at this revelation than horrified
Valian "Ok They're still thralls, so we won't try to kill more of them than we have to Let's try to head up here without alerting them as best we can, and take out the master quickly"
DungeonMaster "Mmm," Krusk grunts in assent Margaret nods as well "If we go this way I think that's the best way to avoid most of them" Margaret points north
DungeonMaster "The woods are thicker through the middle so it's rougher going, so we usually go the longer way around"
Valian "That won't be a problem for me"
DungeonMaster Margaret shrugs and starts on the way Nebin seems content to stick right next to you Krusk of course doesn't go far from Nebin
DungeonMaster As the four make their way through the forest, the first interesting thing they come across is one of the 'cannibals', this one a male, sleeping soundly in the branches
Valian Valian brings his sword's crossguard down across the man's nose
DungeonMaster The man is knocked out cold, never away of what was coming
DungeonMaster *aware
Valian Valian strips him of his weapons and any other interesting items before continuing on
DungeonMaster Valian finds a rather wicked looking morningstar and three pieces of gold
DungeonMaster As the party proceeds, Valian spots something of even greater interest a trio of goblins in a clearing up ahead They don't seem to have noticed him or Margaret as of yet
Valian He brings his bow to bear, signalling to the others that they should likewise ready, and strings an arrow, letting it fly with a smooth fluid motion
DungeonMaster Margaret likewise shoots her crossbow at the goblins Both shots fall short Krusk's javelin, however, finds its mark, striking one in the shoulder
DungeonMaster Nebin's acid likewise only finds purchase on the same injured goblin, taking it out of the fight
DungeonMaster The goblins attack with bows of their own, but to no avail They are worse shots than the mighty Valian
Valian Another arrow flies out as Valian advances
Valian His cunning plan to lure them in with a display of horrific archery is working
DungeonMaster The god of trickery look down upon this plot with approval Surely Valian has honored Hermes this day
DungeonMaster Margaret has no honor for the gods, however, and instead finally manages to injure something today with her crossbow
DungeonMaster Nebin sprays another burst of acid from his hands like some kind of god himself, hitting one of the goblins in the face rather painfully
DungeonMaster Krusk advances, tossing another javelin at the pair Except now it is not a pair because one is dead and pinned to the ground with javelin
DungeonMaster The last goblin advances with rage, swinging a scimitar like he knows how to use it And use it he does, right into Krusk's leg
Valian Valian slings his bow and draws his blades, manuevering around the goblin to flank it with Krusk
DungeonMaster The goblin does not even have time to turn around before Valian's blade slices its head clean off
Valian Valian strips the corpses, particularly of any arrows they may have
DungeonMaster Among them, Valian and friends gather up three short bows, 27 unused arrows, three scimitars, and what appears to be vial of liquid that gets Nebin's attention
Valian Valian divides it up, splitting the scimtars between the warriors and the arrows between he and Marg Then they are off
DungeonMaster "Ah, that is a healing potion, I know it! How did a goblin get such a thing?" Nebin ponders much too loudly
DungeonMaster As the party moves on, several hours later, Valian spots two more of the cannibals, this time fully awake, standing guard at a fenced off area that corresponds to the location of the mosoleum Margaret looks at him questioningly
Valian "We wait And watch" Valian prepares to observe the guards, to see if they change shifts and when He will strike at the most opportune moment
DungeonMaster Hours later, as the evening approaches, a procession makes itself visible coming from the west Three more of the cannibals, each carrying a sack visibly dripping with blood, walks past the two guards and into the gated area Ten minutes later they return, sacks empty, and depart, the guards following behind It is now night
Valian Valian seeks council with Krusk, Nebin and Marg "Should we go after the guards to subdue them, or attack the complex?"
DungeonMaster Krusk grunts "I'd rather fight one guy than five Or are there anymore in there?" He looks at Margaret She shakes her head "No, we're not allowed to go there except when we have an offering Unless he's hiding something he lives there all alone"
Valian Valian waits to see if Nebin offers anything before agreeing with Krusk's plan
DungeonMaster "If my suspicions are correct, his thralls should be freed of the enchantment once he is slain Go for the head, as it were!" Nebin cheerfully adds
Valian "Then that's what we will do" Valian prepares to head in
DungeonMaster The others follow behind As they enter, the darkness obscures most of the details, though Nebin seems visibly disturbed at it all From what Valian can make out in the dim light, there are scores of dug up graves throughout the area, the ruins of several smaller shrines along the way Rear and center of the complex is a manor sized house of the dead, as still as those who ought to be resting eternally within
DungeonMaster What lies within the masoleum at the heart of the Isle of Repose? What is the dark secret behind the cannibal clan? Who is this dark master who rules the island? We find out next week!


Last edited by KingCrazyGenius on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KCG's Awesome D&D Next Game
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 am
Posts: 1247
DungeonMaster WHERE LAST WE MET OUR DASHING HERO, Valian was standing at the entrance of the grand mausoleum of the Isle of Repose. Along with his employer, the gnome Nebin, the gnome's bodyguard Krusk, and the formerly mind-controlled Margaret, Valian now prepares himself for what horrors lie within...
DungeonMaster Margaret, who is recovering more and more from the magic that bespelled her, pulls her shortsword to the ready. "So, how exactly are we going to do this? Just bust in like some amatuers?"
DungeonMaster Krusk snorts at the last word, but says nothing.
Valian "We take it a room at a time. If they look to overwhelm us, we fall back."
DungeonMaster "Splendid", Nebin replies. "Let's keep this nice and orderly."
Valian "I'll take point, Margaret, you cover me. Krusk, you keep Nebin safe."
Valian With that, Valian moves forward cautiously.
DungeonMaster The door before them is closed. Once upon a time it was clearly kept secure with heavy bars and chains, but those have long since been broken: nothing seems to prevent the doors from being opened.
Valian Checking cautiously for any traps or ambushes, Valian opens the door.
DungeonMaster A skeleton greets them at the entrance. In a manner of speaking. While its clothes may once have been dignified, they are far too decayed to impress anyone now.
Valian Hefting his mace, Valian advances. The creatures bones seem unlikely to prove susceptible to a hail of arrows.
DungeonMaster Though Valian seeks to initiate combat, it is Margaret who gets the first blow in, knocking one of it's brittle ribs in with a stone she threw.
Valian Valian moves in, smashing down with his morningstar.
Valian He then aims his blade at the creature's neck.
DungeonMaster Valian's morningstar flies wickedly through the air, but to no avail. The much more noble swordsword makes nice work of the skeleton's collar bone, as well as leaving a chip in its neck bones.
DungeonMaster The skeleton responds in kind, slashing across Valian's shoulder (6 damage).
Valian Valian winces as his blood spills out over the ground. Another shot like that and he'll depart from this world.
Valian The mighty Krusk advances on the undead guardian, hoping to dash it apart in a single blow from his massive axe.
DungeonMaster Sadly Krusk's enthusiasm for combat outweighs his precision this day, the axe whizzes right past where once the skeleton may have had arm flesh.
DungeonMaster Once again it is the godlike Nebin who saves the day. Or would if his acid did more than a sprinkling of harm.
Valian Valian spends a moment to reflect upon his employer's godlike power before he attempts to crush the bony warrior again.
DungeonMaster This time Valian shows why he is the main character: his morningstar smashing through the skeleton like an army storming a peaceful village. Armor scraps and bones clatter to the ground, as does a most regal longsword.
Valian It but strikes a single time on the ground before Valian snatches it.
Valian He holds it aloft, examining its workmanship while remaining alert to any other potential dangers.
DungeonMaster Down the dark hallway to the east, Valian perceives the distinct sound of plodding footsteps. Slow, irregular, but making their way towards his location.
Valian He signals to the team to fall back and prepares to ambush these creatures should they turn out hostile.
DungeonMaster The rest of them hide against the wall.
DungeonMaster A zombie stumbles into view, obvious of Valian and friends. It's almost as if his hypothetical chances of spotting the party resulted in a negative number.
DungeonMaster The zombie stares at the defeated skeleton, not quite comprehending.
Valian Valian moves in behind it, hoping to end it quickly.
DungeonMaster The attacks carve deeply into the zombie's flesh. If Valian were to take the time to guess, he would conclude that the zombie is about 50% defeated.
Valian Krusk attempts to make up the difference.
DungeonMaster Krusk makes a good try of it, but his large axe doesn't quite get the job done. Margaret then moves in herself, but misses horribly, nearly slashing Valian in the face!
Valian Valian looks at her suspiciously. Perhaps she is not as recovered from the mind control as she has led them to believe.
DungeonMaster But it was a trick! She actually stabbed the zombie right in its kidney. If it were a living thing that surely would have done the trick!
DungeonMaster Nebin's acid, normally so reliable, fails to even hit the zombie.
DungeonMaster Nebin's acid again is useless. Perhaps he is mortal after all. Margaret's blade, on the other hand, finally manages to finish the job. The zombie's eyes, already dim, go out entirely.
DungeonMaster The mausoleum now seems deathly quiet.
Valian Val checks over the fallen corpse for clues to its former identity.
DungeonMaster As Valian does so, he recalls stories of the walking dead from his youth: the bodies of men and women, desecrated by dark magic, given a semblance of life to fulfill the foul whims of those who raise them. Zombies retain most of their flesh and are slow and ponderous, but can prove very difficult to put down again. Skeletons are more agile in mind and body, but are comparatively frail. Valian recalls that the curses of the gods can sometimes bind a man's soul in his own undying husk, but such creatures as he has just fought are without that spark of humanity.
DungeonMaster As for this corpse, all he can tell is that he must have been fairly wealthy, as his body was well-preserved by whoever undertook it. The clothes are still fairly fine, aside from the weapon slashes, but show obvious decay from the years. An indent on his fingers suggests he once had a ring there.
Valian "Let's go," Valian whispers softly. Once the tomb has been cleared of danger, he will attempt to reinter the bodies, but not at the cost of his life.
DungeonMaster In the corner of his eye, Valian spots a look of alarm on Nebin's face. Up until now he seemed remarkably calm, even enthusiastic, about these ordeals.
Valian "Spill it, Boss."
DungeonMaster "Huh? Wha?" Nebin seems at a loss for words before regaining his composure. "Whatever do you mean, my good man?"
Valian "What's wrong? You know something I don't."
DungeonMaster Margaret looks askance at the gnome. "Valian's right. You seemed to know an awful lot about what's happened here." Krusk says nothing, though his eyes narrow.
DungeonMaster Nebin sighs heavily. "Alright, you caught me. This run-in didn't happen by accident. I never lied, though! We are here for a treasure! It just...so happens I knew who had it. This isn't a robbery, though! This is sanctioned by the Alchemist's Guild. He's a member, you see, and he's broken the faith, so to speak. But I didn't know he was practicing necromancy, I swear!"
Valian "Any other surprises we should know about?"
DungeonMaster "Well that's the thing, I expected to come across a rogue alchemist who had enslaved some island-dwelling outlaws for his experiments. I didn't know quite what he was up to."
DungeonMaster "I certainly didn't know he practiced magic himself, though I knew he had some rare tricks up his sleeve."
Valian "So you don't know what his game is here?"
DungeonMaster "I'm afraid not. I suspected some drugs or weapons, maybe some tomb raiding for some extra gold in his pocket. Nothing quite like this. He's dangerous, I knew that, and if word got out about him it would damage the Guild's reputation. It's win/win for all of us."
Valian "Unless we die, of course, or become his alchemically addicted mind-slaves. But if it wasn't dangerous, it wouldn't pay as well. After all, you're paying each of us 250 gold to do this."
DungeonMaster "Wait a moment, I didn't offer that mu...ah damn it all. Fine. 250 gold, we finish this job, and not a one of you breaths a word of this!"
Valian Valian grins. "Alright. Let's move out, but quiet."
DungeonMaster Margaret's eyes light up at the mention of gold. "Well I'd hate for the Alchemist Guild's reputation to be damaged..."
DungeonMaster Before Valian lies a door to the west, and two hallways drifting into darkness to the north and east.
Valian He checks the western door before trying to open it.
DungeonMaster Valian apprehends nothing wrong. As he opens the door, he finds a most unfortunate sight. Coffins pulled out of place, pried open and empty. The room is utterly ransacked. Four faded shields, decorative yet functional, remain in place along the walls.
Valian Neither in need of a shield nor a tomb robber, Valian looks at the others to see if they require a shield.
Valian He gives the room a brief search before moving on his way.
DungeonMaster Krusk shrugs. "I ain't gonna keep a dead man's shield, but I'll use it while we're here.
DungeonMaster "
Valian They head north after those who wish shields take them up.
DungeonMaster Nebin declines, "I wouldn't know what to do with it!" Margaret just looks at it funny.
DungeonMaster As the party heads into the northern corridor, they find a room much finer than the one before it. Three heavy stone tombs lie on display, unopened. Faded portraits stand above them.
DungeonMaster After a moment, Valian recognizes the portraits and realizes where he stands: the tombs of three of the former Dukes of the land.
Valian Wondering what nefarious plot involves the land's nobility, Valian moves back towards the eastern hall after inspecting the room.
DungeonMaster Valian finds nothing more of interest, save for the fact that this room is undisturbed.
Valian Hoping whatever sacred power prevents the darkness from gaining a hold here still stands, he moves on.
DungeonMaster As Valian and friends move further down, they spot sights similar to both the first and second rooms. Some are utterly desecrated, only broken remains suggesting the dead ever rested there. Others, containing heavy coffins, remain at peace.
DungeonMaster Valian notices an alarming pattern: it is the tombs of women that are primarily desecrated. Though some smaller bone boxes of favored male servants have also been pulled out, the male nobility and royalty remain largely undisturbed.
Valian This is gravely disturbing, Valian thinks to himself, overlooking his own pun. He moves on, giving each room a cursory inspection.
DungeonMaster Aside from some shields, not readily recognizable as bearing the crest of the royal family, there seems to be nothing further of use or interest in the rooms.
Valian Valian and company move on.
DungeonMaster As they reach the end of the hallway, they see another 2 way split: the east ends with another trio of heavy tombs, while the north and south go off in the distance.
Valian Valian listens carefully, if he hears no activity from either hall, he heads south.
DungeonMaster Valian hears...heavy breathing from the north. Snoring, really.
Valian They head north.
DungeonMaster As the party creeps to the north, they find a most disturbing sight. Bins of bones line the walls, yet in the center of the room lies a bed with a man sleeping in it. Lying next to him under the blankets a skull neck peek out.
DungeonMaster Skull and neck.
Valian Valian sneaks up, trying to grab the skull without waking the man.
DungeonMaster As Valian takes hold of the skull, he notices it is firmly attached to the neck, and the neck to what he can now tell is a complete skeleton underneath the blanket. It seems to be held together with an adhesive.
DungeonMaster The man does not seem to stir, though Valian is now close enough to see why he snores: he is rather overweight.
Valian Valian sets about stripping the man of any items of power or magic he might have nearby without waking him.
Valian He gestures to Krusk, should the man awaken and attempt hostilities, Krusk's axe will deter him posthaste.
DungeonMaster Krusk nods. Aside from the very large amount of bones, the room also contains a few outfits, generously proportioned for the man, as well as many fine women's gowns. The only items of real interest in the room appear to be on the man himself: an amulet hangs around his neck, and there is a ring on his exposed hand.
DungeonMaster As Nebin walks in his eyes widen in alarm. He gestures wildly, but seems afraid to speak aloud.
Valian The amulet and ring are Valian's next target, with Krusk backing him should the man awake.
Valian It seems rather clear, the items give the fat man power over the undead, including the alchemical skeleton next to him.
Valian Who knows, perhaps he even inhabits the undead body while his living form slumbers?
DungeonMaster Nebin seems rather flabergasted at all the searching. He starts making throat slashing motions repeatedly.
Valian Unfortunately for him, Valian is no backalley murderer. Killing an unarmed, even dangerous man is not his style. He trusts Krusk to cover his back.
DungeonMaster As Valian attempts to pull the ring from the man's finger, the man's eyes suddely shoot awake. "Wha, YO-" he begins but quickly quiets himself upon spotting Krusk's axe.
DungeonMaster "AAAAUGH!" yells Nebin.
Valian Valian waits for his boss to clarify his statement.
DungeonMaster The man in the bed gulps, then puts on a stern face. "Hey, you know the rules. You can never come in here. Now leave. Now." He speaks forcefully and confidently. Margaret immediately leaves.
Valian Valian pokes him with his sword. "Let her go."
Valian "And start talking, if you don't want your skin to be made into my next cloak."
DungeonMaster "What did I just..." a look of realization crosses his face. "Oh. You're new here, aren't you?"
Valian "I'll ask the questions. You start explaining." In case the man seems confused, Valian prods him with his sword again.
DungeonMaster "Well go on, ask a question then!" he replies defiantly.
Valian Valian glances around for Marg. If she has not returned...
DungeonMaster Margaret is long gone.
Valian "I said let Margaret go. Or suffer. Then you can explain why you have used a mausoleum to cover your fettish for women's clothing."
DungeonMaster "None of those are questions, you ruffian. But no, I can't just 'let' her go. It'll be another...let's see...three days before the compulsions wear off. Anything I say she and the others will obey. As for why I am here, I am undertaking world-changing research, the importance of which you can scarsely begin to comprehend."
Valian "What does this ring do?" Valian holds it up. "And this amulet?"
Valian "Why shouldn't I kill you?"
Valian "Are these enough questions for you? Why are you animating the women and not the men?"
DungeonMaster "You shouldn't kill me because my work is too important. And I didn't animate anyone...yet. There were a few guardians in place here that I took control of, that's all."
DungeonMaster Behind you, Nebin is having a conniption fit.
Valian "Boss, if you want to interject at any point in time, feel free."
DungeonMaster Nebin gives you a wild look of outrage. "Oh NOW you want my input!? I hired you to kill this bloated mess and you decide to have a chat with him instead!" Taking advantage of the momentary distraction, the fat man sits up in his bed and looks over. "Is that Nebin? Bah, small-minded fool."
Valian "Someone better start explaining things, or I'm going to poke holes in more than your stories."
DungeonMaster The fat man rolls his eyes and almost starts chuckling, but then Nebin screams "Krusk, do it!" Without a thought, Krusk brings down his greataxe down on the man. The blow doesn't knock him dead, but it clearly scored a vicious blow under the blanket.
DungeonMaster The fat man disengages, and rolls from the bed, seeming to make his escape in his bed clothes.
Valian Sparing a glare for Nebin, who has turned this into a circus, Valian moves after the tub of lard, seeking to hobble him. He's not quite certain if he's on the side of angels anymore.
DungeonMaster Valian's conscious holds him back from laying a weapon on the fat man.
Valian Krusk charges in, swinging his axe.
DungeonMaster Krusk knows how to follow orders of wealthy men, and scores another blow, this time in the man's back.
DungeonMaster Nebin takes a step and launches a spray of mystical color at the fat man, blinding him. The fat man stumbles forward despite this, provoking opportunity attacks
DungeonMaster As he stumbles away, Krusk gets another shot in. Amazingly he still stands. Despite his blindness, he manages to cast a spell. A shimmering surrounds him.
Valian Valian and Krusk move in, attacking.
DungeonMaster The morningstar trips the fat man up, knocking him to the ground. He lies motionless.
DungeonMaster Nebin approaches his prone form, pulling a dagger from his belt. Valian has but moments to appeal to Nebin's better self.
Valian "Nebin!"
Valian "What is this man talking about? Why are you acting like a common murderer? We can take him into the guild for a trial!"
DungeonMaster "You want to see what he's talking about? I will show you what he's talking about! Krusk, watch him." Nebin walks to the south, expecting Valian to follow."
Valian Valian follows.
DungeonMaster As they walk into the southern hallway, Valian notices a lot of bloodstains along the ground. As they enter the main chamber, he spies an elaborate alchemy lab. Tables with various reagents strewn across. Bottles with various substances, labeled "Test 1, test 2" and so on. One bottle, 'test 16' has a clearly moving mass within it. Along the wall are four cages. Three contain dead men, recently so, but the fourth appears to be breathing. All are heavily chained.
Valian "Monstrous. What is this foul sorcery, Nebin?"
DungeonMaster "It is worse than I ever anticipated...from the looks of it..." Nebin trails off as he quickly examines the room. "...I think he's trying to grow living tissues. Life."
Valian "...why is that so bad?"
Valian "I can do that with a night and a woman."
DungeonMaster Now rather calm again, Nebin turns to Valian. "Does that look like a baby to you?" Nebin says, pointing to Test 16, which is mostly an amorphous brown thing. "You see, it's a very delicate situation. He cannot be allowed to live, let along continue his research. Myself and others of the Guild are in accord on this matter. Yet if others found out...we could see more work like this breaking out. More of what he did to the outlaws here. More of...this" he gestures to the cages.
DungeonMaster "He's actually quite popular, you see. A trial might not go well for us."
Valian "Fine, Nebin. But do your own dirty work. I'm a ranger, not an executioner."
DungeonMaster Without a moment's hesitation Nebin yells "Krusk, finish it!" The blow is forceful enough that Valian can hear the axe striking the stone beneath the body.
Valian Valian sheds no tears. If the man was a foul alchemist, he deserved death. Still, this bears looking into.
DungeonMaster Nebin then strolls back to the body, where Krusk has already taken the ring and amulet and handed them to the gnome.
Valian "Anything left here?" Valian asks.
DungeonMaster As Nebin and Krusk turn to walk towards you, Valian notes a murderous gleam in the half-orc's eyes.
Valian "Priceless doesn't sound as good split three ways, huh?" Valian bolts.
DungeonMaster Krusk wordlessly gives chase, though it's clear he's no faster than you are and barring unusualness won't be able to catch you.
Valian Valian spins around and fires an arrow at Krusk's throat.
DungeonMaster It aims true, and Krusk goes down, dumbfounded.
DungeonMaster Nebin screams again.
Valian "Bad move, Nebin. I hate a doublecrosser." Valian's bow trains on the vermin.
DungeonMaster Within 18 seconds the fight is over. Though Nebin tries to burn Valian with acid, the ranger readily side-steps each attack, pelting the trecherous gnome with arrows. Now both he and Krusk lie unconscious.
Valian Valian strips them of their gear and clothing. Krusk he leaves in a pile near the zombie and skeleton. Perhaps the half-orc will recover and they will meet again.
Valian Nebin however, gets chucked into Test 16's vat. Will he be turned into a horrible mutant bent on revenge, or simply die an ignoble death drowning in acid? Valian does not care. The vermin betrayed him and now the Alchemist's guild is going to pay his debts.
Valian He hacks off the fat man's head and heads on out, towards the future.


Last edited by KingCrazyGenius on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KCG's Awesome D&D Next Game
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 am
Posts: 1247
Code:
Find: \[..:..\]      Replace:
Find: #01 <@DungeonMaster>   Replace: [b]DM[/b]
Find:       Replace: [b]Valian[/b]
Find: $         Replace: \n &
Find: &         Replace: \n



01[13:10] <@DungeonMaster> WHERE LAST WE SAW our most valiant Valian, he had just vanquished the scheming gnome alchemist Nebin and his brawny accomplice Krusk. Having found his newfound companion anew, just outside the mausoleum of horrors, Valian, laden with booty, now must make his next move.
[13:11] Seeing Margaret in a daze, Valian addresses her. "Margaret! I hope you're ok. Krusk and Nebin turned on me." He holds up the fat man's head and hands, grisly trophies that prove his victory over the dark master. "Will you leave this place with me? You're free now."
[13:11] Margaret shakes her head slightly, then responds. "Oh, hey. Wow. Yes. Damn. Really? Sure."
[13:12] "Alright, then the first step is to get off this island. The Alchemist's Guild is going to pay for Nebin's crimes, one way or another."
01[13:14] <@DungeonMaster> "Alright. I mean we still gotta get paid for this, right? He's dead but he still owes us that gold."
[13:14] "Indeed. And I have a few questions, both about him and your Dark Master."
01[13:17] <@DungeonMaster> "Sounds like a plan." Margaret is ready to follow your lead, both in physical space/time and in mental planning.
[13:18] Valian leads the way back towards the boat he arrived on, keeping his senses alert for any danger.
01[13:22] <@DungeonMaster> As the pair trace their way back to the boat, they spot the grisly sight of a swarm of dire rats feasting on the goblins dispatched hours ago, but strangly no other forms of danger. When they arrive at the landing, they find the boat in the same condition it was left in; a leak in the bottom that would make rowing back quite the hassle.
[13:23] "We should be able to find some materials to patch it up on the isle," Valian assures Marg. "Unless you know a better way off the island? Did the Dark Master have any boat that would work for this?"
01[13:25] <@DungeonMaster> "You know? I have no idea how he even got here. We had just about finished making some shelters, and then he shows up, saying he would be a powerful ally. And he seemed really trustworthy for some reason. And then he told us to start digging up bodies...and well from there it's a bit of a blur. Lot of killing."
01[13:26] <@DungeonMaster> "But the rest of the island is cliffs, so if he did come here by boat, he either destroyed it or it is still hidden somewhere around here. It's a big beach, but it's the only one on the island."
[13:27] "Searching out material for patching it is then," Valian says with a grin. "We'll keep an eye out for his boat while we're down here at the beach."
01[13:35] <@DungeonMaster> After an hour of searching the woods closest to the beach, Valian is able to find enough sap and tree debris to get to work on a temporary patch job. It also occurs to Valian's otherwise normal intellect that he could make use of some of the materials taken from his fallen erstwhile companions, such as their waterskins.
[13:36] He makes use of all of the materials at his disposal, companion waterskins, sap and anything else, to patch the boat.
01[13:38] <@DungeonMaster> After twenty minutes of careful work, Valian and Margaret manage to rig up a patch to the ship that should last them to the mainland. A waterskin is lost to the effort, but for a good cause.
[13:39] They sail off into the sunset. Or rather, they wait through the night, for sunrise, and row off into the sunrise. A boat alone at night is asking for an unpreventable demise.
01[13:42] <@DungeonMaster> Helios' ever-burning corpse spins into view after several hours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSXyLGv ... SXyLGvaQaE
01[13:46] <@DungeonMaster> "Morning," Margaret says rather chipperly. "Hey, so can I have the orc's clothes? Mine are kind of destroyed."
[13:47] "If you'd like. They'll be a little big on you, but help yourself."
01[13:49] <@DungeonMaster> She quickly slips them over her tattered clothes, then uses some spare rope to tie them on and keep them from slipping right back off. "This should work. Alright let's go before anyone else shows up."
[13:49] They go.
01[13:51] <@DungeonMaster> As they row off back to the mainland, Valian spots an armored figure emerge from the forest. It watches them for a bit, then slinks back into the woods.
[13:52] Valian studies it as best he can before it leaves. It may be that fate or adventure leads him back to this isle.
01[13:54] <@DungeonMaster> Valian quickly realizes the figure is a hobgoblin, and a fairly large one for their race.
[13:56] Goblins. His most hated foes.
[13:56] Yes, he may be back to this island after he finishes his business with the guild.
01[13:56] <@DungeonMaster> Rowing back to mainland is uneventful. Being an experienced wilderness explorer, Valian is incapable of getting lost, and has no difficulty whatsoever getting back to a place where he had been before.
[13:57] Once on the mainland, Valian takes a moment to reorient himself. Where is the town or city that Nebin's guild lies within?
01[14:00] <@DungeonMaster> Valian recalls that Nebin said he ran a shop in Sunport, a prominent port town about an hour's walk from the more inland Perseus City, the capital where both the Duke and the regional headquarters of many of the guilds, including the Alchemist's Guild, reside.
[14:01] They head for Sunport first. It may be that Nebin had friends that wish to settle his accounts.
01[14:03] <@DungeonMaster> The voyage to Sunport is perhaps even less eventful than the one they had just undertaken. Now a little past noon, Sunport seems to be gearing up for the afternoon workload, having just finished lunch.
[14:04] Valian puts his ear to the ground, so to speak, and sees what he can turn up about Nebin.
01[14:08] <@DungeonMaster> After a frustrating hour, not only is Valian no closer to getting ANY information about Nebin, but many of the townspeople have grown suspicious of his inqueries.
01[14:09] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret shrugs. "How about you just get yourself a drink, wild man? I might be able to get something useful out of these folks."
[14:09] Valian sighs, but realizes that his luck has run out. Perhaps finesse will succeed where brute force has failed.
[14:09] He goes and gets a drink at the nearest bar.
01[14:12] <@DungeonMaster> Valian enters the Two Mugs Short Of A Barrel. Rather quiet right now, there are two patrons seated at a table and an comely lass cleaning mugs behind the bar.
[14:12] He orders a mug of mead and studies his fellow patrons.
01[14:20] <@DungeonMaster> She groans audibly when it becomes clear you have nothing but gold pieces. After the arduous process of making change, and double checking, she pours you a mug of Dwarven Delight and hands you back 9 silver pieces and six copper.
[14:22] He pushes two copper back at her for a tip, and tries to cover up his faux pas. Last time he was in a large town, he paid in hides, not coin.
01[14:22] <@DungeonMaster> The other two patrons, meanwhile, are enraptured in a deep conversation about card games. One, a non-descript human, is explaining to the other, a hill dwarf, the concept of bluffing.
[14:23] Valian listens with half an ear, and tries to enjoy his drink with relatively low awkwardness.
01[14:23] <@DungeonMaster> The bartendress accepts the coppers without a word and goes back to cleaning mugs.
01[14:25] <@DungeonMaster> "But I still dinnae see why ye wul say ye haf three kings when ye mos certainlae got a bunch-a-twos!" "Because if the other man THINKS you have kings he won't bet against you, and then you win the pot!" "But ye have NO KINGS!"
01[14:25] <@DungeonMaster> "Your accent is slipping." "Aw shove it."
01[14:26] <@DungeonMaster> It quickly becomes clear that they are rehearsing a conversation, rather than actually having one.
01[14:28] <@DungeonMaster> After a few minutes the dwarf glances over at you, taps the human on the arm, and they abuptly stand up and leave.
[14:29] Likely confidence men, Valian thinks. Not his quarry, but why not track them like they were prey?
01[14:30] <@DungeonMaster> Sometime later, perhaps twenty minutes, Margaret strolls in and sits down next to you.
[14:31] He turns a nervous smile towards her.
01[14:32] <@DungeonMaster> "Ah ah ah, if you want to talk to a lady you have to wine and dine her, and I am famished."
[14:33] He mentally checks to recall whether or not this establishment had food.
[14:33] If they did, he orders some, otherwise they head elsewhere.
01[14:35] <@DungeonMaster> As if on cue, the comely lass hands over a menu. "The Squalid Special - 3 cp, Poor Man's Vittles - 6 cp, Modest Maiden's Feast - 3 sp, Comfort Foods For Clergy - 5 sp, Wealthy Wine And Dine - 8 sp, Aristocrat's Artisinal - 2 gp"
[14:36] Valian raises his eyebrow at Marg. "Your preference?"
01[14:37] <@DungeonMaster> "I'd *prefer* to be wine and dined, but virtuous lady I am I'll settle for the Modest Maiden's Feast."
01[14:38] <@DungeonMaster> She then winks.
[14:38] Val pushes two gold to the comely lass. "Keep the change. Two wine and dines."
01[14:39] <@DungeonMaster> "Coming RIGHT up! Malcolm, we need the good stuff, now!" she charges into the back with far more energy than she had previously.
01[14:40] <@DungeonMaster> She starts you with a pitcher of wine and bowl of nuts and berries for the appetiser.
[14:41] "So what did you find out?" Val asks while they await the food. He pours Marg a glass.
01[14:41] <@DungeonMaster> "Oh not much, just where Nebin's shop is and that he's been out of town for a few days. Some
01[14:42] <@DungeonMaster> "Ahem, some were saying there was talk of a banquet when he returned. He was very excited about something."
[14:45] "Like coming back with items of power without being out the cost of a brave woodsman."
01[14:47] <@DungeonMaster> "Maybe. Also the orc has worked for him for about a year now. Lives above the shop with the gnome, even."
[14:50] "Any kin, friends that will miss him?"
01[14:51] <@DungeonMaster> The comely lass brings the main course, roasted beef (fairly uncommon in these parts) with potatoes, carrots, and also a large chocolate cake on a rather lovely pedestal.
[14:53] Valian serves Marg a nice share of the food and allows her to continue.
01[14:53] <@DungeonMaster> "Kin? He has a son who is apprenticing elsewhere. No mention of a wife, though. As for friends, he's got connections to the guild of course, but he's the only one here. He does sell things, if people have the money, but most of his business is shipments to and from the capital.
01[14:53] <@DungeonMaster> "
01[14:54] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret wolfs down her food in a rather unladylike manner.
[14:55] "Let's check his place out when you're done."
01[14:56] <@DungeonMaster> After ravaging her food, wine, and cake, Margaret is all ready to go, wiping her face off with the embroidered handkerchiefs offered by the comely lass.
[14:57] They head out, Marg navigating.
01[15:01] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret leads Valian to a fair-sized free-standing building in the market district, the closest to one to the dock district proper. It is two stories tall. The windows are all barricaded. The door likewise, with heavy chains. The lock on the door appears to be a combination lock, rather than one requiring a key. A sign is pasted squarely on the door stating "OUT TO LUNCH, A VERY LONG LUNCH."
[15:02] "Well, this looks locked up tight. How do you propose we get in?"
01[15:04] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret winks. "I have a knack for this sort of thing. Here's the plan: two hours after sundown, I want you to come back here and walk through the front door of this place. We'll go from there. It is very important that you do this as casually as possible, understand?"
[15:05] "Casual is my middle name."
01[15:06] <@DungeonMaster> "Alright, see you then, Val Casual." Margaret leaves for the Dock District without another word.
[15:06] Valian checks out the sights of the port town while he waits for sundown.
01[15:10] <@DungeonMaster> Valian sees a lot of hardworking people who don't have time or money to stand around and gawk. As he wanders, he find that in addition to the Market and Dock Districts, there is the Residential District, the Nice Residential District (it is actually called that), the Civil District (which houses the Town Hall, Mayor's Manor, Court House, Jail Cells, and The Pit), and farther out various family farms.
[15:11] He has little patience for towns or other areas of urban power, but this doesn't seem to be as bad. City living has not turned these people soft.
01[15:12] <@DungeonMaster> By far the largest street, both in length and width, is the Capital Road, which leads from south of the town, through the Dock District, Market District, and Civil District, all the way through the woods to the capital, Perseus City.
[15:13] Perseus City is his next destination...it is there that the guild will be answering him for Nebin's actions.
[15:14] However, before one runs into a bear den, it is best to have a plan. And a long long spear.
01[15:15] <@DungeonMaster> As night falls, a town watchman approaches Valian. "You look like you don't belong around here, so I'll let you off with a warning, but there's a curfew in this town for those not on official business. Get to your inn or wherever you are staying before someone less friendly than me spots you." He is stern yet polite.
[15:16] "Oh, I'm sorry, Constable. Ah...what is considered 'official' business? I'm officially on guild business."
01[15:17] <@DungeonMaster> He is taken aback. "Is that right? Just show me your papers and let you be on your way, then."
[15:17] Valian hands over his letter of introduction.
01[15:20] <@DungeonMaster> He looks over the letter. "I take it you have business with the alchemist...yet why would you have HIS letter?"
01[15:22] <@DungeonMaster> Valian realizes the watchman is expecting a bribe.
[15:23] Valian drops a piece of silver on the ground and picks it up. "You dropped this, Constable. The alchemist gave me the letter along with certain important items for the guild. I can't really say much more about it."
01[15:25] <@DungeonMaster> He plucks the coin from your fingers. "I didn't see you, but if I see you again it's gonna be trouble." He then turns around and walks around the corner.
[15:26] Valian avoids asking him how he could see him again if he didn't see him before.
01[15:27] <@DungeonMaster> As night falls on the town, it becomes very quiet and dark very quickly.
[15:28] Valian looks on to see if the town uses any artifical lighting that he has found plagues most cities.
01[15:28] <@DungeonMaster> The only thing Valian is able to spot, aside from the occasional glow from inside a shelter, is the telltale glow of a torch held by a watchman. Which ironically makes them easier to avoid.
[15:29] As if relentless monotony were not enough, so often the cities rob the commonfolk of what little sleep and rest they might be afforded. Again, this appears to be a city worth the visit. Valian heads for Nebin's house.
01[15:33] <@DungeonMaster> Valian has no trouble making his way to Nebin's abode. Even if the guard's nightvision wasn't hampered by having a flame right next to their eyes they still wouldn't have seen Valian, master of the shadows. As Valian approaches Nebin's abode, he sees an unlikely sight: the door's locks are all removed, however two guards stand on either side, very casually.
[15:34] Valian walks in, paying them no heed.
01[15:35] <@DungeonMaster> As Valian enters, he sees Margaret waiting inside, sitting on a countertop. "Oh good, I was worried a bit that you'd chicken out when you saw the guards."
[15:36] "You said casual. I did casual."
[15:37] "Who are they?"
01[15:37] <@DungeonMaster> "Guys who owed me a favor and happen to own town watch uniforms." With that she hops off the counter and takes a peek outside. "Thank you for your help gentlemen, get home safe!" With that she closes the door and locks it from the inside.
[15:39] "Well, let's search the place top to bottom. Anything that can help us understand Nebin and his relation to the guild."
01[15:40] <@DungeonMaster> "Way ahead of you. He had like twenty silver pieces and some clothes lying around. Krusk's room had some more javelins. The good stuff is all in the vault." With that she hops over the counter again.
[15:41] "Ah. The vault. Which is...?" Valian feels he's clearly out of his depth here.
01[15:42] <@DungeonMaster> "Down here." She pulls a few hidden levers beneath the counter and a click is heard, revealing a staircase down. "Shall we?"
[15:43] "We shall," he replies, heading down. He keeps his eyes peeled for any traps, and the rest of his senses extended out. Who knows what Nebin had in his basement?
01[15:47] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret walks ahead of you to a locked door, with yet another combination lock. She triumphs over it after a few moments and opens it up.
[15:48] Val moves ahead of her, keeping an ear and eye out for danger.
01[15:49] <@DungeonMaster> Valian hears sounds of danger in the northern room.
[15:50] Instantly alert, he moves slowly towards the north, his bow trained on whatever might present itself.
01[15:51] <@DungeonMaster> Peering through the open doorway, Valian spots a pair of two-headed hounds, greatly hideous.
01[15:52] <@DungeonMaster> They appear to be gnawing on bones while growling at themselves and one another. Distracted.
01[15:54] <@DungeonMaster> While they appear similar to things known as death dogs, there is something off about them. The left head strikes Valian as notably distinct from the right, as though not a natural growth.
01[15:55] <@DungeonMaster> The smell reminds Valian of the smell of the experimental chamber in the mausoleum.
[15:56] "Alchemical death dogs," Valian thinks as he launches an arrow into the rightmost one.
[15:57] A second arrow follows the first, towards the left.
01[15:58] <@DungeonMaster> The arrows fly true, piercing the weird space between the two heads on each of them. The heads howl in pain as they drop the bones and glare in Valian's direction.
[16:02] Two more arrows follow.
01[16:03] <@DungeonMaster> The first hound manages to evade the first arrow, but the second is not so lucky.
[16:03] Valian takes up a position against the wall.
01[16:04] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret lands a particularly gruesome shot with her crossbow against the first hound, sticking it right in the eye of the unnatural head.
01[16:07] <@DungeonMaster> The first hound bounds up, dealing 8 damage with an acidic bite, though the second head appears to already be fading.
01[16:07] <@DungeonMaster> The second hound attepts to also kill Valian, but its mouths only snap at air.
[16:09] Valian jams his bow in the jaws of the death hound, distracting it momentarily while he draws his sword and morningstar, before unleashing suffering upon the beasts before him.
01[16:12] <@DungeonMaster> Valian brutalizes the hounds. The first looks ready to collapse, but the second is still raring to go. At least until Margaret stabs it in the back with her shortsword. The second hound spasms, but does not go down.
01[16:14] <@DungeonMaster> The dogs go wild. The first lands a sizzling bite on Valian, dealing 8 damage. The other likewise snaps at Margaret, getting her good on the leg.
[16:15] Valian is burning from the acid, but he grits his teeth. Perhaps he will die here. Perhaps not. He puts his faith in his weapons and hopes it is enough.
01[16:17] <@DungeonMaster> Valian's faith is rewarded, and the sheer fury of his attacks put both dogs down, seemingly at once. Their acidic drool sizzles on the stone floor, but they do not move.
[16:19] Valian is breathing hard but he looks first to Marg. "Are you...ok, he huffs."
[16:19] "Are you...ok?" he huffs.
01[16:19] <@DungeonMaster> She looks at her leg. "It hurts, but I think I'll be okay."
[16:20] "Alright. But we might need to valiantly run away from any other monsters."
01[16:21] <@DungeonMaster> She walks into the room where the hounds were before. "Whoa, check all this out!"
[16:21] Valian sets about checking all this out.
01[16:23] <@DungeonMaster> As Valian enters, in addition to a number of gnawed bones on the floor, he also sees a large variety of vials lining the walls. In all, he sees 20 labeled "Alchemist's Fire", 12 labeled "acid", 6 labeled "antitoxin", 8 labeled "healing serum", and twenty labeled "Lady Scents".
[16:24] He applies a small amount of 'healing serum' to his wounds, to see if it begins killing him.
01[16:25] <@DungeonMaster> Valian feels better, but knows he must use the full bottle to achieve real effects.
01[16:25] <@DungeonMaster> So decreed by Zeus.
[16:26] Not one to argue with Zeus's decrees and content that the test has not allowed him to be duped by a simple label, he utilizes the entire serum.
[16:27] And then a second.
01[16:28] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret helps herself to every bottle of "Lady Scents", putting them into a satchel.
[16:28] As the burns heal, Valian gestures towards one for Marg. "Do you want to apply some?"
01[16:29] <@DungeonMaster> "Sure." She rubs it on her leg, and the wound vanishes entirely.
[16:31] Valian checks around for anything else of use in the area before securing the horde.
01[16:32] <@DungeonMaster> He sees nothing else. It would seem the room has much higher capacity than this, but most of the shelf space is empty.
01[16:33] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret walks back to the crossway. "Should I open this next door?"
[16:33] "Yeah, let's keep going."
01[16:35] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret solves the lock without too much difficulty. As the door swings open, a pair of mystically floating armor greet the pair. Except they say nothing and seem angry for magical armor.
01[16:38] <@DungeonMaster> The armor advances, standing guard at the doorway. Nothing is getting in easily. "NO ENTRY TO TRESPASSERS" they say in unison.
[16:39] "Don't trespass," suggests Val.
01[16:39] <@DungeonMaster> "I think I can slip by them, then you can attack them while they are distracted by me."
[16:39] "You've got guts. Just make sure they aren't spilled all over the floor."
01[16:40] <@DungeonMaster> "Trust me." She winks. Cleverly she moves towards the armor while intentionally disengaged from combat, then as a bonus she dashes past them.
01[16:41] <@DungeonMaster> "TRESPASSER MUST BE ELIMINATED" the armors scream with iron voices.
[16:41] Having recovered his bow, Val launches an arrow at the first suit.
01[16:42] <@DungeonMaster> The armor bounces off the armor to no effect.
[16:43] "This may have been a terrible plan," Valian remarks.
01[16:44] <@DungeonMaster> The armors charge at Margaret, but are unable to attack her, because they used their action to approach her.
01[16:45] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret disengages again and dashes to the other side of the room, a grin on her face.
01[16:45] <@DungeonMaster> "Just use the acid if you have to. I'm not sure we could sell it anyways."
[16:47] Valian focuses on the lead armor, tries not to recall Libby from Super and fires another arrow. If this misses, he may indeed have to utilize the acid.
01[16:48] <@DungeonMaster> The arrow almost seems like it cound have accomplished something, had it's 'number' been just 'one' higher.
[16:49] Well **** that noise, Valian thinks. That was a damn good shot. Time to try the acid.
01[16:49] <@DungeonMaster> The armors again approach Margaret, only for her to effortlessly evade them across the room.
[16:50] Val chucks a flask of acid at the nearest one.
01[16:53] <@DungeonMaster> The acid sizzles on the armor. Straps of the plate mail come loose, while the plate itself weakens. The animated armor now seems a lot more...chain shirt-y, which should make it much easier to hurt.
01[16:54] <@DungeonMaster> However it does seem to allow the armor to move more quickly.
01[16:54] <@DungeonMaster> Still, it is a simple matter for Margaret to evade them.
[16:56] Val switches back to his bow, testing the vulnerabilities.
01[16:57] <@DungeonMaster> Without its heavily armored shell, the animated chain shirt with legs and helmet is far easier to hurt. What is being hurt remains a mystery, however.
01[16:57] <@DungeonMaster> The armors follow Margaret out the door, though only one makes it out.
01[16:58] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret stabs the armor in its...empty space. It somehow injures it.
[16:58] Drawing his sword and star, Val tries to finish it off.
01[16:59] <@DungeonMaster> Valian's fury spent on dogs, he is unable to savage the armor.
01[17:00] <@DungeonMaster> The armor swings its armory fists at Valian and Margaret, dealing 5 damage to each of them. The other armor is unable to squeeze past it.
01[17:01] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret finishes the mystical chainshirt off. It falls to the ground, a perfectly useful helmet, hand armor, leg armor, and chain shirt.
[17:02] Valian chucks a second vial of acid at the intact armor.
01[17:03] <@DungeonMaster> As before, the armor sizzles off, but this time damaging more underneath. Studded leather appears instead.
01[17:03] <@DungeonMaster> The nakers armor punches Valian in the face, dealing 5 damage.
01[17:04] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret stabs away.
[17:07] Valian does his best to destroy the vicious creature.
01[17:07] <@DungeonMaster> Valian does a good job, but not quite good enough.
01[17:08] <@DungeonMaster> This time Margaret gets punched in the face.
01[17:08] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret stabs the armor again in its voidy place, but it does not yet go down.
[17:09] Val swings his sword in a feint while bringing his morning star around in a devastating blow.
01[17:09] <@DungeonMaster> The wicked morningstar trounces the animated armor, making the helmet mostly useless. The rest is fine, though.
01[17:10] <@DungeonMaster> Margaret pops the studded leather on without waiting on you.
[17:12] "Does it fit?" Val asks.
[17:13] He pulls the chain shirt over his own torso.
01[17:13] <@DungeonMaster> "Like an enchanted glove. Okay not like that, but it'll work."
[17:14] Val slips on the other pieces of armor, seeing if they provide any improved protection.
[17:15] Having killed the ending line, he strikes an impressive pose for Marg.
01[17:15] <@DungeonMaster> Valian finds that without the fullness of the plate chest that the arms and legs armor are only decorative. So decreeds Zeus.
01[17:17] <@DungeonMaster> AND SO THIS MIGHTY COMBAT DRAWS TO A CLOSE. Our heroes, newly outfitted with marginally superior armor and a ton of expensive reagents, are ready for whatever comes next. What awaits them in teh final chambers of Nebin's Vault? Another encounter? Just gold? Find out next week!


DM WHERE LAST WE SAW our most valiant Valian, he had just vanquished the scheming gnome alchemist Nebin and his brawny accomplice Krusk. Having found his newfound companion anew, just outside the mausoleum of horrors, Valian, laden with booty, now must make his next move.

Valian Seeing Margaret in a daze, Valian addresses her. "Margaret! I hope you're ok. Krusk and Nebin turned on me." He holds up the fat man's head and hands, grisly trophies that prove his victory over the dark master. "Will you leave this place with me? You're free now."

Valian Margaret shakes her head slightly, then responds. "Oh, hey. Wow. Yes. Damn. Really? Sure."

Valian "Alright, then the first step is to get off this island. The Alchemist's Guild is going to pay for Nebin's crimes, one way or another."

DM "Alright. I mean we still gotta get paid for this, right? He's dead but he still owes us that gold."

Valian "Indeed. And I have a few questions, both about him and your Dark Master."

DM "Sounds like a plan." Margaret is ready to follow your lead, both in physical space/time and in mental planning.

Valian Valian leads the way back towards the boat he arrived on, keeping his senses alert for any danger.

DM As the pair trace their way back to the boat, they spot the grisly sight of a swarm of dire rats feasting on the goblins dispatched hours ago, but strangly no other forms of danger. When they arrive at the landing, they find the boat in the same condition it was left in; a leak in the bottom that would make rowing back quite the hassle.

Valian "We should be able to find some materials to patch it up on the isle," Valian assures Marg. "Unless you know a better way off the island? Did the Dark Master have any boat that would work for this?"

DM "You know? I have no idea how he even got here. We had just about finished making some shelters, and then he shows up, saying he would be a powerful ally. And he seemed really trustworthy for some reason. And then he told us to start digging up bodies...and well from there it's a bit of a blur. Lot of killing."

DM "But the rest of the island is cliffs, so if he did come here by boat, he either destroyed it or it is still hidden somewhere around here. It's a big beach, but it's the only one on the island."

Valian "Searching out material for patching it is then," Valian says with a grin. "We'll keep an eye out for his boat while we're down here at the beach."

DM After an hour of searching the woods closest to the beach, Valian is able to find enough sap and tree debris to get to work on a temporary patch job. It also occurs to Valian's otherwise normal intellect that he could make use of some of the materials taken from his fallen erstwhile companions, such as their waterskins.

Valian He makes use of all of the materials at his disposal, companion waterskins, sap and anything else, to patch the boat.

DM After twenty minutes of careful work, Valian and Margaret manage to rig up a patch to the ship that should last them to the mainland. A waterskin is lost to the effort, but for a good cause.

Valian They sail off into the sunset. Or rather, they wait through the night, for sunrise, and row off into the sunrise. A boat alone at night is asking for an unpreventable demise.

DM Helios' ever-burning corpse spins into view after several hours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSXyLGv ... SXyLGvaQaE

DM "Morning," Margaret says rather chipperly. "Hey, so can I have the orc's clothes? Mine are kind of destroyed."

Valian "If you'd like. They'll be a little big on you, but help yourself."

DM She quickly slips them over her tattered clothes, then uses some spare rope to tie them on and keep them from slipping right back off. "This should work. Alright let's go before anyone else shows up."

Valian They go.

DM As they row off back to the mainland, Valian spots an armored figure emerge from the forest. It watches them for a bit, then slinks back into the woods.

Valian Valian studies it as best he can before it leaves. It may be that fate or adventure leads him back to this isle.

DM Valian quickly realizes the figure is a hobgoblin, and a fairly large one for their race.

Valian Goblins. His most hated foes.

Valian Yes, he may be back to this island after he finishes his business with the guild.

DM Rowing back to mainland is uneventful. Being an experienced wilderness explorer, Valian is incapable of getting lost, and has no difficulty whatsoever getting back to a place where he had been before.

Valian Once on the mainland, Valian takes a moment to reorient himself. Where is the town or city that Nebin's guild lies within?

DM Valian recalls that Nebin said he ran a shop in Sunport, a prominent port town about an hour's walk from the more inland Perseus City, the capital where both the Duke and the regional headquarters of many of the guilds, including the Alchemist's Guild, reside.

Valian They head for Sunport first. It may be that Nebin had friends that wish to settle his accounts.

DM The voyage to Sunport is perhaps even less eventful than the one they had just undertaken. Now a little past noon, Sunport seems to be gearing up for the afternoon workload, having just finished lunch.

Valian Valian puts his ear to the ground, so to speak, and sees what he can turn up about Nebin.

DM After a frustrating hour, not only is Valian no closer to getting ANY information about Nebin, but many of the townspeople have grown suspicious of his inqueries.

DM Margaret shrugs. "How about you just get yourself a drink, wild man? I might be able to get something useful out of these folks."

Valian Valian sighs, but realizes that his luck has run out. Perhaps finesse will succeed where brute force has failed.

Valian He goes and gets a drink at the nearest bar.

DM Valian enters the Two Mugs Short Of A Barrel. Rather quiet right now, there are two patrons seated at a table and an comely lass cleaning mugs behind the bar.

Valian He orders a mug of mead and studies his fellow patrons.

DM She groans audibly when it becomes clear you have nothing but gold pieces. After the arduous process of making change, and double checking, she pours you a mug of Dwarven Delight and hands you back 9 silver pieces and six copper.

Valian He pushes two copper back at her for a tip, and tries to cover up his faux pas. Last time he was in a large town, he paid in hides, not coin.

DM The other two patrons, meanwhile, are enraptured in a deep conversation about card games. One, a non-descript human, is explaining to the other, a hill dwarf, the concept of bluffing.

Valian Valian listens with half an ear, and tries to enjoy his drink with relatively low awkwardness.

DM The bartendress accepts the coppers without a word and goes back to cleaning mugs.

DM "But I still dinnae see why ye wul say ye haf three kings when ye mos certainlae got a bunch-a-twos!" "Because if the other man THINKS you have kings he won't bet against you, and then you win the pot!" "But ye have NO KINGS!"

DM "Your accent is slipping." "Aw shove it."

DM It quickly becomes clear that they are rehearsing a conversation, rather than actually having one.

DM After a few minutes the dwarf glances over at you, taps the human on the arm, and they abuptly stand up and leave.

Valian Likely confidence men, Valian thinks. Not his quarry, but why not track them like they were prey?

DM Sometime later, perhaps twenty minutes, Margaret strolls in and sits down next to you.

Valian He turns a nervous smile towards her.

DM "Ah ah ah, if you want to talk to a lady you have to wine and dine her, and I am famished."

Valian He mentally checks to recall whether or not this establishment had food.

Valian If they did, he orders some, otherwise they head elsewhere.

DM As if on cue, the comely lass hands over a menu. "The Squalid Special - 3 cp, Poor Man's Vittles - 6 cp, Modest Maiden's Feast - 3 sp, Comfort Foods For Clergy - 5 sp, Wealthy Wine And Dine - 8 sp, Aristocrat's Artisinal - 2 gp"

Valian Valian raises his eyebrow at Marg. "Your preference?"

DM "I'd *prefer* to be wine and dined, but virtuous lady I am I'll settle for the Modest Maiden's Feast."

DM She then winks.

Valian Val pushes two gold to the comely lass. "Keep the change. Two wine and dines."

DM "Coming RIGHT up! Malcolm, we need the good stuff, now!" she charges into the back with far more energy than she had previously.

DM She starts you with a pitcher of wine and bowl of nuts and berries for the appetiser.

Valian "So what did you find out?" Val asks while they await the food. He pours Marg a glass.

DM "Oh not much, just where Nebin's shop is and that he's been out of town for a few days. Some

DM "Ahem, some were saying there was talk of a banquet when he returned. He was very excited about something."

Valian "Like coming back with items of power without being out the cost of a brave woodsman."

DM "Maybe. Also the orc has worked for him for about a year now. Lives above the shop with the gnome, even."

Valian "Any kin, friends that will miss him?"

DM The comely lass brings the main course, roasted beef (fairly uncommon in these parts) with potatoes, carrots, and also a large chocolate cake on a rather lovely pedestal.

Valian Valian serves Marg a nice share of the food and allows her to continue.

DM "Kin? He has a son who is apprenticing elsewhere. No mention of a wife, though. As for friends, he's got connections to the guild of course, but he's the only one here. He does sell things, if people have the money, but most of his business is shipments to and from the capital.

DM "

DM Margaret wolfs down her food in a rather unladylike manner.

Valian "Let's check his place out when you're done."

DM After ravaging her food, wine, and cake, Margaret is all ready to go, wiping her face off with the embroidered handkerchiefs offered by the comely lass.

Valian They head out, Marg navigating.

DM Margaret leads Valian to a fair-sized free-standing building in the market district, the closest to one to the dock district proper. It is two stories tall. The windows are all barricaded. The door likewise, with heavy chains. The lock on the door appears to be a combination lock, rather than one requiring a key. A sign is pasted squarely on the door stating "OUT TO LUNCH, A VERY LONG LUNCH."

Valian "Well, this looks locked up tight. How do you propose we get in?"

DM Margaret winks. "I have a knack for this sort of thing. Here's the plan: two hours after sundown, I want you to come back here and walk through the front door of this place. We'll go from there. It is very important that you do this as casually as possible, understand?"

Valian "Casual is my middle name."

DM "Alright, see you then, Val Casual." Margaret leaves for the Dock District without another word.

Valian Valian checks out the sights of the port town while he waits for sundown.

DM Valian sees a lot of hardworking people who don't have time or money to stand around and gawk. As he wanders, he find that in addition to the Market and Dock Districts, there is the Residential District, the Nice Residential District (it is actually called that), the Civil District (which houses the Town Hall, Mayor's Manor, Court House, Jail Cells, and The Pit), and farther out various family farms.

Valian He has little patience for towns or other areas of urban power, but this doesn't seem to be as bad. City living has not turned these people soft.

DM By far the largest street, both in length and width, is the Capital Road, which leads from south of the town, through the Dock District, Market District, and Civil District, all the way through the woods to the capital, Perseus City.

Valian Perseus City is his next destination...it is there that the guild will be answering him for Nebin's actions.

Valian However, before one runs into a bear den, it is best to have a plan. And a long long spear.

DM As night falls, a town watchman approaches Valian. "You look like you don't belong around here, so I'll let you off with a warning, but there's a curfew in this town for those not on official business. Get to your inn or wherever you are staying before someone less friendly than me spots you." He is stern yet polite.

Valian "Oh, I'm sorry, Constable. Ah...what is considered 'official' business? I'm officially on guild business."

DM He is taken aback. "Is that right? Just show me your papers and let you be on your way, then."

Valian Valian hands over his letter of introduction.

DM He looks over the letter. "I take it you have business with the alchemist...yet why would you have HIS letter?"

DM Valian realizes the watchman is expecting a bribe.

Valian Valian drops a piece of silver on the ground and picks it up. "You dropped this, Constable. The alchemist gave me the letter along with certain important items for the guild. I can't really say much more about it."

DM He plucks the coin from your fingers. "I didn't see you, but if I see you again it's gonna be trouble." He then turns around and walks around the corner.

Valian Valian avoids asking him how he could see him again if he didn't see him before.

DM As night falls on the town, it becomes very quiet and dark very quickly.

Valian Valian looks on to see if the town uses any artifical lighting that he has found plagues most cities.

DM The only thing Valian is able to spot, aside from the occasional glow from inside a shelter, is the telltale glow of a torch held by a watchman. Which ironically makes them easier to avoid.

Valian As if relentless monotony were not enough, so often the cities rob the commonfolk of what little sleep and rest they might be afforded. Again, this appears to be a city worth the visit. Valian heads for Nebin's house.

DM Valian has no trouble making his way to Nebin's abode. Even if the guard's nightvision wasn't hampered by having a flame right next to their eyes they still wouldn't have seen Valian, master of the shadows. As Valian approaches Nebin's abode, he sees an unlikely sight: the door's locks are all removed, however two guards stand on either side, very casually.

Valian Valian walks in, paying them no heed.

DM As Valian enters, he sees Margaret waiting inside, sitting on a countertop. "Oh good, I was worried a bit that you'd chicken out when you saw the guards."

Valian "You said casual. I did casual."

Valian "Who are they?"

DM "Guys who owed me a favor and happen to own town watch uniforms." With that she hops off the counter and takes a peek outside. "Thank you for your help gentlemen, get home safe!" With that she closes the door and locks it from the inside.

Valian "Well, let's search the place top to bottom. Anything that can help us understand Nebin and his relation to the guild."

DM "Way ahead of you. He had like twenty silver pieces and some clothes lying around. Krusk's room had some more javelins. The good stuff is all in the vault." With that she hops over the counter again.

Valian "Ah. The vault. Which is...?" Valian feels he's clearly out of his depth here.

DM "Down here." She pulls a few hidden levers beneath the counter and a click is heard, revealing a staircase down. "Shall we?"

Valian "We shall," he replies, heading down. He keeps his eyes peeled for any traps, and the rest of his senses extended out. Who knows what Nebin had in his basement?

DM Margaret walks ahead of you to a locked door, with yet another combination lock. She triumphs over it after a few moments and opens it up.

Valian Val moves ahead of her, keeping an ear and eye out for danger.

DM Valian hears sounds of danger in the northern room.

Valian Instantly alert, he moves slowly towards the north, his bow trained on whatever might present itself.

DM Peering through the open doorway, Valian spots a pair of two-headed hounds, greatly hideous.

DM They appear to be gnawing on bones while growling at themselves and one another. Distracted.

DM While they appear similar to things known as death dogs, there is something off about them. The left head strikes Valian as notably distinct from the right, as though not a natural growth.

DM The smell reminds Valian of the smell of the experimental chamber in the mausoleum.

Valian "Alchemical death dogs," Valian thinks as he launches an arrow into the rightmost one.

Valian A second arrow follows the first, towards the left.

DM The arrows fly true, piercing the weird space between the two heads on each of them. The heads howl in pain as they drop the bones and glare in Valian's direction.

Valian Two more arrows follow.

DM The first hound manages to evade the first arrow, but the second is not so lucky.

Valian Valian takes up a position against the wall.

DM Margaret lands a particularly gruesome shot with her crossbow against the first hound, sticking it right in the eye of the unnatural head.

DM The first hound bounds up, dealing 8 damage with an acidic bite, though the second head appears to already be fading.

DM The second hound attepts to also kill Valian, but its mouths only snap at air.

Valian Valian jams his bow in the jaws of the death hound, distracting it momentarily while he draws his sword and morningstar, before unleashing suffering upon the beasts before him.

DM Valian brutalizes the hounds. The first looks ready to collapse, but the second is still raring to go. At least until Margaret stabs it in the back with her shortsword. The second hound spasms, but does not go down.

DM The dogs go wild. The first lands a sizzling bite on Valian, dealing 8 damage. The other likewise snaps at Margaret, getting her good on the leg.

Valian Valian is burning from the acid, but he grits his teeth. Perhaps he will die here. Perhaps not. He puts his faith in his weapons and hopes it is enough.

DM Valian's faith is rewarded, and the sheer fury of his attacks put both dogs down, seemingly at once. Their acidic drool sizzles on the stone floor, but they do not move.

Valian Valian is breathing hard but he looks first to Marg. "Are you...ok, he huffs."

Valian "Are you...ok?" he huffs.

DM She looks at her leg. "It hurts, but I think I'll be okay."

Valian "Alright. But we might need to valiantly run away from any other monsters."

DM She walks into the room where the hounds were before. "Whoa, check all this out!"

Valian Valian sets about checking all this out.

DM As Valian enters, in addition to a number of gnawed bones on the floor, he also sees a large variety of vials lining the walls. In all, he sees 20 labeled "Alchemist's Fire", 12 labeled "acid", 6 labeled "antitoxin", 8 labeled "healing serum", and twenty labeled "Lady Scents".

Valian He applies a small amount of 'healing serum' to his wounds, to see if it begins killing him.

DM Valian feels better, but knows he must use the full bottle to achieve real effects.

DM So decreed by Zeus.

Valian Not one to argue with Zeus's decrees and content that the test has not allowed him to be duped by a simple label, he utilizes the entire serum.

Valian And then a second.

DM Margaret helps herself to every bottle of "Lady Scents", putting them into a satchel.

Valian As the burns heal, Valian gestures towards one for Marg. "Do you want to apply some?"

DM "Sure." She rubs it on her leg, and the wound vanishes entirely.

Valian Valian checks around for anything else of use in the area before securing the horde.

DM He sees nothing else. It would seem the room has much higher capacity than this, but most of the shelf space is empty.

DM Margaret walks back to the crossway. "Should I open this next door?"

Valian "Yeah, let's keep going."

DM Margaret solves the lock without too much difficulty. As the door swings open, a pair of mystically floating armor greet the pair. Except they say nothing and seem angry for magical armor.

DM The armor advances, standing guard at the doorway. Nothing is getting in easily. "NO ENTRY TO TRESPASSERS" they say in unison.

Valian "Don't trespass," suggests Val.

DM "I think I can slip by them, then you can attack them while they are distracted by me."

Valian "You've got guts. Just make sure they aren't spilled all over the floor."

DM "Trust me." She winks. Cleverly she moves towards the armor while intentionally disengaged from combat, then as a bonus she dashes past them.

DM "TRESPASSER MUST BE ELIMINATED" the armors scream with iron voices.

Valian Having recovered his bow, Val launches an arrow at the first suit.

DM The armor bounces off the armor to no effect.

Valian "This may have been a terrible plan," Valian remarks.

DM The armors charge at Margaret, but are unable to attack her, because they used their action to approach her.

DM Margaret disengages again and dashes to the other side of the room, a grin on her face.

DM "Just use the acid if you have to. I'm not sure we could sell it anyways."

Valian Valian focuses on the lead armor, tries not to recall Libby from Super and fires another arrow. If this misses, he may indeed have to utilize the acid.

DM The arrow almost seems like it cound have accomplished something, had it's 'number' been just 'one' higher.

Valian Well **** that noise, Valian thinks. That was a damn good shot. Time to try the acid.

DM The armors again approach Margaret, only for her to effortlessly evade them across the room.

Valian Val chucks a flask of acid at the nearest one.

DM The acid sizzles on the armor. Straps of the plate mail come loose, while the plate itself weakens. The animated armor now seems a lot more...chain shirt-y, which should make it much easier to hurt.

DM However it does seem to allow the armor to move more quickly.

DM Still, it is a simple matter for Margaret to evade them.

Valian Val switches back to his bow, testing the vulnerabilities.

DM Without its heavily armored shell, the animated chain shirt with legs and helmet is far easier to hurt. What is being hurt remains a mystery, however.

DM The armors follow Margaret out the door, though only one makes it out.

DM Margaret stabs the armor in its...empty space. It somehow injures it.

Valian Drawing his sword and star, Val tries to finish it off.

DM Valian's fury spent on dogs, he is unable to savage the armor.

DM The armor swings its armory fists at Valian and Margaret, dealing 5 damage to each of them. The other armor is unable to squeeze past it.

DM Margaret finishes the mystical chainshirt off. It falls to the ground, a perfectly useful helmet, hand armor, leg armor, and chain shirt.

Valian Valian chucks a second vial of acid at the intact armor.

DM As before, the armor sizzles off, but this time damaging more underneath. Studded leather appears instead.

DM The nakers armor punches Valian in the face, dealing 5 damage.

DM Margaret stabs away.

Valian Valian does his best to destroy the vicious creature.

DM Valian does a good job, but not quite good enough.

DM This time Margaret gets punched in the face.

DM Margaret stabs the armor again in its voidy place, but it does not yet go down.

Valian Val swings his sword in a feint while bringing his morning star around in a devastating blow.

DM The wicked morningstar trounces the animated armor, making the helmet mostly useless. The rest is fine, though.

DM Margaret pops the studded leather on without waiting on you.

Valian "Does it fit?" Val asks.

Valian He pulls the chain shirt over his own torso.

DM "Like an enchanted glove. Okay not like that, but it'll work."

Valian Val slips on the other pieces of armor, seeing if they provide any improved protection.

Valian Having killed the ending line, he strikes an impressive pose for Marg.

DM Valian finds that without the fullness of the plate chest that the arms and legs armor are only decorative. So decreeds Zeus.

DM AND SO THIS MIGHTY COMBAT DRAWS TO A CLOSE. Our heroes, newly outfitted with marginally superior armor and a ton of expensive reagents, are ready for whatever comes next. What awaits them in teh final chambers of Nebin's Vault? Another encounter? Just gold? Find out next week!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KCG's Awesome Log
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 am
Posts: 1247
01[14:31] <DungeonMaster> WHEN LAST WE MET OUR COURAGEOUS HEROES, THEY HAD just vanquished some magical armor, and then put it on like corpse-wearing savages. Another locked door stands before them, and no other combat encounters for at least the next few seconds.
[14:31] <Valian> Valian nods towards Marg, indicating she continue.
01[14:33] <DungeonMaster> Margaret nods as well, and does her magic with the combination lock. This one takes longer than the others, but after a couple of minutes she gets it open. Inside this latest room is a dimly lit laboratory, with glowing vials on tables, cages of sleeping mutant animals, and what looks like a tall and dashing human seemingly frozen in place.
[14:35] <Valian> Valian looks over the scene carefully, motioning for Marg to gather the vials.
[14:35] <Valian> Is the man a previous intruder like himself, or a waiting guardian?
01[14:36] <DungeonMaster> Margaret gathers up the various substances, or at least those with stoppers and lids. Then she walks over to examine the man. "Huh."
[14:36] <@Mezentius> Hard to say. What can be said is that he is immense, nearly six and a half feet, and leans on a long ash spear.
[14:36] <@Mezentius> A great black beard is his only armor.
[14:37] <Valian> "Well, Margaret, if he's one of Nebin's men, we can question him and if he's not, we ought to free him. Anything on the tables that might help?"
01[14:39] <DungeonMaster> "Well, that depends on what did this." She looks at the stuff she just grabbed, but unsatisfied, starts looking around the man himself. After a thourough investigation, a "Ah ha!" rings out. "It's a trap! Wow. A really unique one. Froze him in place. I think I can deactivate it, though. Must have cost a fortune..." she gets to work.
[14:40] <@Mezentius> A fine purple cloak rustles as Valin brushes by, but the man himself moves not an inch...
01[14:41] <DungeonMaster> After minutes of careful work, the room suddenly dims, and the man exhales!
[14:41] <@Mezentius> "Nebin, you rogue, where are you off to? By Zeus, I grow impatient with this!"
[14:41] <Valian> "Sorry, Friend, but Nebin is no longer here to suffer your wrath."
[14:42] <Valian> Mostly because he suffered mine when I chucked him in the acid vat, Valian thinks to himself.
[14:43] <@Mezentius> "I..." Mezentius looks at the speaker. "What, then, are you his man? Go, follow him, and tell him I shall not wait upon his pleasure like a servant."
[14:44] <Valian> "Fraid not, Chum, his pleasure won't be forthcoming. He wound up in a bad way on the Isle of Repose."
[14:45] <@Mezentius> The giant blinks. "Do you toy with me? I saw him not a moment ago."
[14:46] <@Mezentius> He looks around.
[14:46] <Valian> "When we came in, you were frozen in place. She deactivated whatever was holding you...we were hoping you could tell us what was going on with Nebin. He failed to pay us."
[14:46] <@Mezentius> "Wait..."
[14:47] <Valian> "Not for my pay, I don't."
[14:47] <@Mezentius> A furrowed brow. "Who are you, then?"
[14:48] <Valian> "Valian Hawksword, ranger and guide. And you?"
[14:49] <@Mezentius> "Mezentius of Karkhedon, son of Lausos the Basileos."
[14:49] <@Mezentius> "I would ask your father, but in these far lands, I doubt they ever met."
[14:49] <@Mezentius> "But you say he... tricked me, then?"
[14:50] <Valian> "Sure, if that's what you call it. Looked to me like he made you part of his zoo." Valian gestures to the sleeping animals.
[14:51] <@Mezentius> Mezentius looks down at the floor, catching sight of some of the faint runes ruined by Margaret's work.
[14:51] <@Mezentius> "Hm."
[14:52] <@Mezentius> "And you?" He turns to the woman.
01[14:53] <DungeonMaster> "Me? I'm Margaret. A tradeswoman engaged in a variety of legitimate crafts." She winks.
[14:54] <@Mezentius> Mezentius nods. "A tradeswoman."
[14:54] <@Mezentius> "Tell me, guide, tradeswoman, in what circumstance do I find myself?"
[14:55] <Valian> "We're in Nebin's vault. He failed to pay us what he promised, so we are taking it upon ourselves to acquire the payment directly."
[14:56] <Valian> "After that, we are headed to the capital to make inquiries with the Alchemist's Guild."
[14:56] <@Mezentius> "Ha! Well, I too will have what he promised me."
[14:56] <@Mezentius> "And more besides, if it is true that he betrayed me."
[14:57] <Valian> "What did he promise you?" Val asks.
[14:59] <@Mezentius> "Wealth, of course," Mezentius waves a hand dismissively. "But moreso, the use of his guild - letters for his fellows to carry to my kinsmen."
[15:00] <@Mezentius> "I shall not get that now, it seems."
[15:00] <Valian> Val proudly displays his letter of acceptance to the guild to Mezentius.
[15:01] <Valian> Well, Nebin's, but that's a minor detail hardly worth pointing out.
[15:02] <@Mezentius> Mezentius raises an eyebrow as he reads the letter.
[15:02] <@Mezentius> "You took this from him?"
[15:03] <Valian> "...he gave it to me because he didn't have any more use for it," Val offers.
[15:04] <@Mezentius> "That is one half of it, then."
[15:06] <@Mezentius> He hefts his massive spear and looks about. "As for the other... if Nebin has broken his deal with me, then I will take what he should have given."
[15:07] <Valian> "Well, Mezentius, come along and perhaps we can find that other half. I think Nebin has broken quite a bit," Val responds cheerfully.
[15:07] <Valian> "Most notably his neck and skull," he mutters under his breath.
01[15:07] <DungeonMaster> Hades roars with laughter from deep within the Underworld.
[15:08] <@Mezentius> Mezentius nods curtly, but does not come along so much as lead.
[15:08] <@Mezentius> He looks around. Whence shall he lead them to?
01[15:09] <DungeonMaster> "Well," Margaret offers, "looks like there's only one other door in here. Hopefully there is an absurd amount of gold behind it."
[15:09] <Valian> Val raises his eyebrows at Marg. "We can hope."
[15:09] <@Mezentius> Mezentius tests the theory.
01[15:09] <DungeonMaster> Mezentius finds that the door has a combination lock.
[15:10] <@Mezentius> "Hm. Where did that rogue lay my club..." Mezentius casts about for a moment before locating the weapon leaning in a corner.
[15:11] <Valian> "Marg, might you do the honors?" Val suggests with an amused glance at Mezentius.
01[15:11] <DungeonMaster> Margaret takes this opportunity to start working on the locked door. She finds this one particularly frustrating, and it takes a full four minutes before the 'click' is finally heard.
[15:13] <@Mezentius> Three minutes slower than a barbarian lockpick might have done the job.
[15:13] <@Mezentius> Mezentius opens the door.
01[15:14] <DungeonMaster> A suit of armor greets Mezentius. "INTRUDERS MUST BE ELIMINATED."
[15:16] <@Mezentius> Mezentius comes in swinging.
[15:16] <Valian> "Careful there big guy, these guys don't take much of a beating until you trash the outer shell," Val cautions.
01[15:17] <DungeonMaster> Mezentius swings valiantly, but the strikes clang rather harmlessly against the being. Valian notes that this one looks more...menacing than the previous ones.
[15:19] <@Mezentius> Mezentius backs up a step. "Trash the shell?"
[15:19] <Valian> "With acid," Val clarifies, hoping Marg will do it.
01[15:20] <DungeonMaster> The armor walks forward. Seeing Margaret is closest, it runs her through with a pair of expert sword thrusts, and she falls to the ground. The armor then continues to approach.
[15:21] <@Mezentius> "Hmnh."
[15:24] <@Mezentius> "Guide, find the tools you need to do it. I will hold this toy at bay."
[15:24] <Valian> Val moves in, sliding up to Marg and laying his hands upon her. With a whisper to Asclepius, he calls upon the god to restore her.
[15:25] <Valian> "Its these vials," Val explains to Mez as the large man fends off the armor.
01[15:25] <DungeonMaster> Margaret's eyes open as the wounds close. "Oww."
[15:25] <Valian> "Stay down and keep away from it. Try to hit it with some acid," Valian urges.
01[15:26] <DungeonMaster> She nods without winking.
[15:29] <@Mezentius> Mezentius moves in on the foe, arms wide.
[15:31] <@Mezentius> He seizes the walking armor and strains to lift it off the ground.
01[15:32] <DungeonMaster> Mezantius successfully grapples the armor, the fury of the gods coursing through his veins. Somewhat taken aback, the armor swings its sword at the muscley-armed man, dealing 8 damage.
[15:34] <@Mezentius> Mezentius exhales forcefully, laughing. "Zeus breathes the spirit of the lion through me! No blade can bite on royalty!"
[15:34] <@Mezentius> It's unclear whether he's boasting to his companions, the armor, or both.
01[15:35] <DungeonMaster> Either way, Margaret tosses vial at her disposal that most looks like acid. It splashes against it's shield, quickly eating away at it.
01[15:35] <DungeonMaster> Then she moves a safer distance from it.
[15:37] <Valian> No longer worried about Marg, Val moves in on the armor himself, drawing his blade and wicked looking morningstar. He does his best to disable the guardian.
01[15:38] <DungeonMaster> Valiant though his efforts are, he is not quite able to do damage to the entity, though his morningstar certainly came close.
[15:39] <@Mezentius> Mezentius slams the pinioned armor about.
01[15:40] <DungeonMaster> Mezentius is able to deal some damage with the butt of his mighty spear.
01[15:42] <DungeonMaster> Gripping its sword in both hands, the armory foe swings slashes at the pair, dealing 6 damage to each of them.
01[15:43] <DungeonMaster> Margaret makes an approach and depart maneuver with another vial that splashes against the armor's chest. Unlike the previous ones, it does not break down, but it does appear to...soften.
[15:45] <Valian> Val weaves his weapons in a deadly dance.
01[15:46] <DungeonMaster> Wicked as ever, the morningstar finds purchase in the armor's softened exterior.
[15:47] <@Mezentius> Mezentius lifts his foe above his head, then slams it down. The butt of the spear quickly follows upon the armor's helm.
01[15:48] <DungeonMaster> The mighty Prince's fury continues to be vented upon the armor. Sparks of metal against metal fly, and it's not looking quite so ornate anymore.
01[15:50] <DungeonMaster> The armor continues attacking both of its foes at once. It is unable to land a blow on the agile and better-armored Valius, but does manage to deal 10 damage to the burly skin of Mezentius.
01[15:50] <DungeonMaster> Margaret whips out her crossbow and gets the armor in the arm. it would hurt if it had feelings.
[15:51] <Valian> Val dives in, ignoring the blood pooling below his armpit.
01[15:51] <DungeonMaster> Valian's sword dives in as well, right into the armored crotch of his ailing foe. That would really hurt.
[15:52] <@Mezentius> Mezentius continues to vent his wrath upon the battered armor.
01[15:53] <DungeonMaster> Mezentius brings glory to his royal name. The armor seems like something you'd find in a sad old attic now.
01[15:54] <DungeonMaster> As if making a last ditch effort, the armor strikes at Mezentius with absolutely fury, dealing 21 damage. Or so it thinks.
[15:55] <@Mezentius> The mighty swing bounces back off Mezentius's forehead without breaking the skin, though it leaves a nasty blotch of purple.
01[15:55] <DungeonMaster> Though the honor of the last blow rightfully belongs to Mezentius, and if not him then Valian, Margaret steals the glory with a piercing shot through the helm. The glow fades, and the armor collapses.
01[15:57] <DungeonMaster> Margaret stands warily, though her eyes are fixed on the doorway from which the armor came.
[15:57] <Valian> "So are all kings immortal where you come from?" Val asks as he looks through the scrap metal.
[15:58] <Valian> He picks up the sword and hefts it, testing its balance.
01[15:58] <DungeonMaster> Valian finds it is a fine longsword, clearly aged, but still fully functional.
[15:59] <@Mezentius> Mezentius nods, turning the empty helm over with a foot.
[16:06] <Valian> Val searches the rest of the room. "We ought to take a breather," he suggests.
[16:06] <@Mezentius> "Tradeswoman Margaret, perhaps we should wait and tend to your wounds?"
01[16:06] <DungeonMaster> Margaret nods, too shaken to smirk at the title she gave herself.
[16:08] <@Mezentius> A breather is taken, and wounds are tended to. The bruises Mezentius took from the foe's blade fade with uncanny speed.
[16:09] <@Mezentius> During the rest it occurs to Mezentius to ask what day it is. Perhaps he has been out for a full day?
[16:09] <@Mezentius> "My ship is to depart in three days' time." he explains.
[16:09] <Valian> "The third Moonday of Aprilus," Val answers him.
[16:10] <@Mezentius> That news gives Mezentius pause.
[16:12] <@Mezentius> "Well, Valian, I was going to offer you and your companion a berth. A warrior and a chirurgeon both - there is always a place for talented men."
[16:13] <Valian> "Your culture offers no berths on Moonday though, I understand."
[16:13] <@Mezentius> "It is not the day, but the ship. The third Moonday... I had thought at worst it had been hours."
[16:14] <@Mezentius> "My companions will not have lingered, even for me."
[16:14] <@Mezentius> "The risk of being found by a warship from Karkhedon...."
[16:15] <Valian> "But you're from Karkhedon?" Val asks, slightly puzzled.
[16:15] <@Mezentius> "So I am." Mezentius scowls.
[16:15] <@Mezentius> "Impious rebels."
[16:16] <Valian> Val works this out, being clever if not intelligent, and comes to the conclusion..."You were overthrown?"
[16:19] <@Mezentius> Mezentius nods. "The people of Karkhedon are wilful. Always sneaking off to their native rites, never willing to offer true sacrifices to the Lord Zeus and the Twelve. While my father Lausos lived, no man would dare rise up..."
[16:20] <Valian> "Were you a weaker king than your father?"
[16:21] <@Mezentius> "Ha! I never gained the crown. For when he died, the people looked about, and realized how few true Hellenes were left in the city."
[16:21] <@Mezentius> "We were never many. Even in my grandfather's time, men would rather sail north than south."
[16:23] <Valian> "And they cared not for a foreign king."
[16:24] <@Mezentius> "No. With time, I would have pacified them. Shown them my own strength." Mezentius emphatically crumples the empty helm between two hands.
[16:25] <@Mezentius> "But there was no time when the news came out. The mob were surging through the streets, dragging off those who were loyal, within a day."
[16:26] <@Mezentius> He tosses the ruined helm into a corner. "So much for Karkhedon."
[16:26] <Valian> "And what then? What brought you to deal with Nebin?" Val asks, continuing his search of the room.
01[16:27] <DungeonMaster> Valian finds that the combat has roused some of the mutant freaks, though they still seem lethargic. As though heavily sedated.
[16:27] <Valian> He observes them, wondering if any of them might still heed the call of nature.
[16:28] <@Mezentius> "I seek a new kingdom. Let Karkhedon be Qart-Hadasht, and sink back into barbarity, if it wishes."
[16:28] <@Mezentius> "But kingdoms were never won without gold and men."
[16:29] <@Mezentius> "A small enough start, but the locals told me that Nebin knew many prominent people, and that he had a trick of getting people to see things his way."
[16:30] <@Mezentius> Mezentius scowls.
[16:30] <@Mezentius> "I suppose that he really did."
01[16:30] <DungeonMaster> Of those still alive, Valian observes two more of the two-headed dogs he fought earlier, a trio of enormous rats with yellow fur, a green bear, still asleep, and a brown wolf who, while rather large, seems to be untouched by the alchemical treatments the others were subjected to.
01[16:31] <DungeonMaster> All the creatures are rather dehydrated, and no doubt very hungry.
[16:32] <@Mezentius> "What of you, guide? How did you cross paths with the rogue?"
[16:33] <Valian> "We met on the Isle of Repose, and decided to continue a profitable partnership together."
[16:34] <Valian> He looks over the wolf, and in the language of canines, speaks to it. "Lobos, how has your noble self come to rest in this cave?"
01[16:35] <DungeonMaster> The wolf perks up slightly and stares.
[16:36] <@Mezentius> While Valian turns his attention to the wolf, Mezentius hefts himself up and peers into the next room.
01[16:37] <DungeonMaster> Mezentius finds that within lies bags of animal feed and a well.
[16:38] <Valian> Listening to the wolf's response, indicating hunger, Val nods. "I could free you. You run with my pack until we reach the woods? If we find food, I will feed you well."
[16:39] <@Mezentius> Mezentius pokes around for anything more interesting than bags of animal feed and a well.
01[16:39] <DungeonMaster> Margaret joins Mezentius and likewise starts searching the room.
[16:39] <Valian> Having received the affirmative, Valian frees the beast and aids Mezentius in the search.
01[16:41] <DungeonMaster> After carefully searching the room, Mezentius finds a hidden pressure plate against one of the walls. Pressing it, the wall withdraws and reveals a smaller chamber. Big enough for a gnome, but forcing human-sized folk to crawl through.
[16:43] <@Mezentius> "Valian, there is a passage back here."
[16:44] <Valian> "Are you feeling up to it, Marg, or should I try to fit?"
01[16:45] <DungeonMaster> "Go for it. I'll watch your butt." Margaret winks.
[16:45] <@Mezentius> Mezentius nurses private doubts about his ability to fit at all.
[16:45] <Valian> "That'd been my plan," Val mutters as he tries to wedge his body into the passage.
01[16:45] <DungeonMaster> The wolf begins tearing into the bags of food, gorging shamelessly.
01[16:46] <DungeonMaster> Valian feels the stares of gods and men upon his rear as he squeezes through the passage. At the end, about fifteen feet down, is an unadorned chest.
[16:48] <Valian> "It's a plain chest, Marg," he calls back to the rogue.
[16:49] <Valian> "Probably trapped, and will freeze me for all eternity."
01[16:49] <DungeonMaster> "Ugh, fine, get out and let me have a look."
[16:50] <Valian> "Or maybe it'll explode and I won't die, and instead just be too burned to crawl back..." Val offers several more suggestions as he gets out of the area.
01[16:51] <DungeonMaster> As Valian exists Margaret effortlessly slides in to the space. After a few minutes she comes back out. "Well, the vault was completely empty."
[16:54] <@Mezentius> Mezentius raises an eyebrow.
[16:54] <Valian> "Huh. Bad luck. Guess we'll have to get our gold from the guild."
[16:55] <@Mezentius> "Crownless I may be, but you speak to royalty, Tradeswoman, gifted to see into the hearts of men."
[16:55] <@Mezentius> "You are no sorcerer, to hide deceptions like Nebin could."
[16:55] <@Mezentius> "Truly, what lay within the vault?"
01[16:56] <DungeonMaster> Margaret smiles sheepishly. "Okay, you caught me. There was this note." Margaret shows you a note saying 'Dear Nebin, this is your secret treasure box! Please fill me up again after you are done ripping off those big stupid rubes! Thanks, love you.'
01[16:57] <DungeonMaster> "...aaaaand about 40 gold pieces." She pats her conspicuously larger behind.
01[16:58] <DungeonMaster> It clings.
01[16:58] <DungeonMaster> Clangs.
01[16:58] <DungeonMaster> Like tiny bells disguised as a butt.
[16:58] <Valian> "Why did the treasure box write Nebin a note?"
[16:59] <@Mezentius> "Witchcraft." Mezentius opines.
01[16:59] <DungeonMaster> Margaret stares at both Valian and Mezentius blankly. "Okay yeah so robbing the guild. That's gonna take some work, but I think it can be done!"
[17:00] <@Mezentius> "How many soldiers does this guild boast?"
[17:00] <Valian> "Not enough," Valian answers him confidently.
01[17:01] <DungeonMaster> Not enough indeed! With royal spear and wild sword, truly this is a pair that can overcome any advesary. Tune in next week as Mezentius and Valian continue their quest to actually get paid for their hard work!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KCG's Awesome Log
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 am
Posts: 1247
01[13:23] WHERE WE LAST LEFT OUR GLORIOUS HEROES, they were attempting to figure out how to engage in trade. And now it is upon them. The following morning after Margaret made the arrangements, a small caravan arrives at the port town where Valian and Mezentius are currently staying in. Stepping out are a few notable figures: a well-dressed and handsome halfling, another non-descript halfling, a third halfling dressed in dark leather and a ponytail, and two half-ogres, one wearing a red hat with ogrealls and one in a green hat with ogrealls.
01[13:24] The two half-ogres each carry a large wooden chest.
[13:25] Valian sizes up the group, ready to act if they prove to be of the Nebin sort of trustworthy.
[13:26] <@Mezentius> Mezentius awaits within. An abundance of food and drink have been gathered, cooks have been hired, and all the appurtenances of hospitality prepared.
01[13:27] As the caravan wagons steer away to find lodging, the handsome halfling approaches the three of you, all smiles. "Margaret, baby! Yous making friends in high places I see." Turning first to Mezentius, he bows slightly. "Ah, most humble greetings ya worshipfulness. its' been a while since I had the pleasure of such royal company." Then to Valian he says "And whoever you is, nice to meet ya too."
[13:29] Valian nods gruffly.
[13:29] <@Mezentius> Mezentius inclines his head regally.
[13:31] <@Mezentius> "Do be seated." He claps his hands and attendants see to the guests' things.
01[13:32] "Now this here's some of my family. That quiet fellow is my brother Deno. And this beauty is my angel Lidda, apple of my eye she is. And these two big guys is Mario and Luigi. Raised them up from tiny huge babies. Loves them like my own sons."
[13:33] "Family's very important," Valian remarks seriously.
01[13:34] "Man after my own heart you is." Jack replies.
[13:35] "I am Valian, you know Margaret, and this is the Basileos Mezentius, rightful heir of Krakendom."
01[13:36] "A basil e us, now that's impressive. I can't even say it!"
[13:37] <@Mezentius> Mezentius smiles, perhaps a little thinly. "Alas, Karkhedon lies far away now."
01[13:38] The half-ogres have already begun gorging themselves. Lidda eats slowly while idly twirling a knife. Deno watches the conversation carefully but seems content to stay silent.
[13:38] <@Mezentius> Mezentius plays host, and sees what he can learn about their guests as he does. Talk is casual for now - there shall be no talk of business until after dinner.
02[13:42] * @Mezentius ([email protected]) Quit (Ping timeout: 201 seconds)
[13:42] There is little talk of business indeed.
03[13:43] * Mezentius ([email protected]) has joined #KCGsGame
[13:43] Valian makes it a point to feed the wolf some of the tablescraps as he engages in conversation.
01[13:44] "You sure is good to ya guests, huh your highness? When Margaret told me you was lookin to sell some stuff, I was thinking we'd just swing buy, chat a little, have a few drinks, and get down to business. This whole spread though, gotta say I wasn't countin on it."
[13:46] "One never knows when a guest may be Zeus in disguise."
01[13:48] "Well, you done me and my boys and my little angel right, so we is gonna do ya right in turn. Next time ya in the Capital, you come find me, and I'll put you and your boys in the best inn they got."
01[13:50] Valian notices that Lidda has been staring at him pretty much the entire time, though it's hard to say what for. Is she hostile? Amorous?
[13:51] He smiles at her.
[13:51] "Most gracious, Jack." Mezentius leans forward as the last course is cleared.
[13:52] "And now, I suppose... to business."
01[13:53] Lidda waves back at Valian, in a sort of coy manner. Jack meanwhile nods. "Yes. Alright, so what do ya got for us this fine day?
01[13:53] "
[13:54] Mezentius nods for Margaret to display their goods. Truth be told, the role of host comes naturally enough, but Mezentius is not a man of commerce.
01[13:56] Margaret lays out the goods: 1 perfectly useful helmet, 2 plate hand armors, 2 plate leg armors, 15 Alchemist's Fire, 5 acids, 19 lady scents, and 1 complete damaged plate mail.
01[13:57] Jack looks at the stuff, whispers to Deno, who then whispers back to him, and they do this a few more times, then Jack turns back to you and smiles. "Alright, first off, the perfumes. That's an easy sell: women always lookin to smell nice. I'll give ya 3 gp per bottle."
[13:59] Mezentius glances at Margaret and Valian.
[13:59] Valian nods, he has no idea how much this stuff is worth.
01[13:59] Margaret nods nonchalantly.
[14:00] Their nods govern Mezentius's own.
[14:01] A procedure he follows for the remainder of the goods.
01[14:02] "MARIO!" Jack suddenly yells. One of the half-ogres stands up and brings the chest over. Opening it, gold and platinum coins are revealed, as well as a lot of empty space. Jack methodically counts out 57 gold coins and slides them across the table to Mezentius. Then Mario gathers up the lady scents into the chest.
[14:02] Valian nods approvingly. Indeed, Valian is unlikely to protest any of the offers. These are goods he does not want to keep, and gold can be exchanged for things he might wish.
01[14:04] "Next, this...whoa." Deno whispers into Jack's ear. "Alright, alchemist fire. That's some heavy stuff. Alright, now I can offer yous 25 gold pieces for each. I'd love to offer more, but I'm taking a risk getting caught with it."
[14:06] "Surely a bold man like yourself is not governed by such fears." Mezentius rumbles.
01[14:08] Jack's smile becomes more nervous. "Well, ya know, I got a family ta feed."
[14:09] "Thirty would be more appropriate for the ancient secrets of Hellenic Fire, first discovered by my philosopher forefathers, would it not?"
01[14:11] "Well...can't disresprect the forefathers, now can ya? Alright, 30 each. I think I got a lot of motivated buyers back home anyways." Jack counts out 45 platinum pieces, then Mario gathers up the alchemist fire.
01[14:12] "Now, as for this acid...I'm not really sure what we'd even do with-" "I want the acid, Papa." Lidda suddenly interjects.
01[14:13] "20 gold pieces each." Lidda states plainly.
[14:14] Again the glance to Margaret and Valian, followed by the regal nod.
01[14:15] Margaret nods with a panicked look, as though you'd be insane to say no.
[14:16] Valian assumes that Marg's look is due to a high named price, although he isn't entirely certain.
[14:16] Perhaps she is indicating that he attack.
[14:17] A done deal, then.
[14:17] He runs through the fight in his head, although he does not like the odds. Perhaps an arrow through several of the vials of acid...he is interupted by a flash of insight.
01[14:19] Valian realizes that Margaret's panic is from the notion that saying no to Lidda could be disasterous. Luckily the deal is done. She counts out ten platinum coins from her own purse and drops them in front of Mezentius, like one would drop a dead body at the door of a mortician. Then she scoops up the acid vials.
[14:20] Mezentius sets the coin aside.
[14:21] There is a brief interlude as a murmured conversation with an attendant ensues, and some coin changes hands from Mezentius to the servant, who goes running out.
[14:21] Then the bargaining continues
01[14:24] Jack looks at his daughter slightly worriedly, then switches back to all smiles. "Now, as for this armor you got to sell. You got important pieces missing from some of it, and this third set looks like you gave it an acid bath. Still...I could get something from it from a desperate buyer. However, when Margaret mentioned it, I had a thought. LUIGI!" Luigi drags the other chest over and opens it, revealing a gleaming suit of half-plate. "I bought this from a fella thinking one of my boys could wear it, but it don't fit. So I'm thinking this. We make a swap. Hell, I'll even throw in another 100 gold, just cuz I like ya."
[14:25] Mezentius examines the armor appraisingly.
[14:25] This is more than acceptable to Valian, but he defers to Mez.
[14:25] Hmmm... this might do nicely. Space for gold tracing here, adamant inlay there...
[14:25] This could become armor fit for a king.
[14:26] This too receives the nod of approval.
01[14:26] Mezentius finds it is indeed of high quality. Margaret thinks so too.
[14:30] A done deal.
01[14:31] Jack personally pulls the armor out of the chest and sets it before Mezentius before Luigi stuffs the busted and imcomplete armor pieces into the same chest.
01[14:32] "Alright, I think that concludes out business then?" Jack feigns a polite yawn.
[14:33] "Indeed it does. You are most welcome to our hospitality for the night, or if you wish to return to your own home, may Hermes guide you on your way."
[14:34] A bit formal for a traipse across town, but that's Mezentius for you.
01[14:35] "Oh absolutely we'll stay." Without another word, Jack grabs the tray of desserts and heads back to his room, his entourage following behind them with their chests and goods in tow, leaving Valian, Mezentius, and Margaret alone in the banquet room.
01[14:36] Waiting just long enough for them to get out of earshot, Margaret finally exhales. "I think that went well."
[14:37] "Yeah, it went great. What's the total take? We ought to be able to fund a trip to the capital without any problem now."
[14:39] Mezentius counts out about four hundred and fifty in gold and platinum.
[14:41] "We are not quite Midases, but I am sure it will," Mezentius waves a hand vaguely, "cover minor expenses."
[14:42] "Well, if we have no other business here in town, I say we leave first thing tomorrow."
01[14:43] "I want my take, 150 gp." Margaret says matter of factly. "I got this perfume and this armor and I got out of a big mess, so I owe you. But you wouldn't have gotten into the vault without me. So I think that's fair."
[14:44] Mezentius hands over 150 to Marg.
[14:45] Another 150 to Valian.
[14:46] He agrees with Valian's plan, although he stays up late if either of the others will join him, relaxing and drinking.
01[14:46] Margaret pockets it. "Alrighty, then my work is done here. I'm...I'm taking off now. This is more than enough to pay my fine. I can go home now. And you guys..." she gets a bit emotional, "I like you guys. I do. But...just don't get yourselves killed, alright?"
[14:47] "Death is the bedfellow of kings," Mezentius raises a cup cheerfully, "but more often for their enemies. I plan to keep on living, Tradeswoman Margaret."
[14:48] "If Zeus wills it."
[14:48] "I promise you, Margaret, I will never die," Valian deadpans. "I hope we meet again."
01[14:49] "I'm serious. If you're planning on taking on the Alchemists' Guild...here's my parting advice. Find other people who hate them too. Make the right friends." With that, Margaret quickly takes off."
01[14:49] MARGERET HAS LEFT THE PARTY.
[14:50] Mezentius stays up drinking with Valian as late as the other man cares to, and then turns in.
[14:51] Jack and his party find breakfast awaiting in the morning, every bit as lavish as the night before.
[14:52] After the meal, as they are preparing to part ways, Mezentius detains them a little longer.
01[14:52] Jack and his party eat like only a trio of halflings and a pair of half-ogres can. Then they pause as Mezentius seems to want something.
[14:53] "Since you showed such respect for my forefathers, I can hardly let you go to your home without a gift in return."
01[14:54] Jack seems genuinely shocked, but eagerly awaits the gift.
[14:56] Mezentus summons his hired help, who enter the room bearing a large gilded tripod. As they set it down before Jack, he finds that while the gold adornment largely bears religious scenes and illustrations of stories of the gods, as befits a tripod, the central image is an engraving his daughter Lidda. A long night's work for the artisan who made it.
[14:58] "From forefathers to descendants." Mezentius grins.
01[15:00] "This...look at this! I ain't never seen something so beautiful dat wasn't my own flesh and blood. How'd ya...I mean..." Jack takes a moment to compose himself. "Your Highness, you done my family a great honor, so let me tell you something. You need ANYTHING, the Tosscobbles are here for ya. I got family all over dis duchy, and a bunch back in da Goth lands, and they are ALL gonna know what kinda guy you is." Lidda gleefully loads the tripod into the lead caravan wagon.
[15:00] Valian mentally increases his rating of Mezentius' diplomatic prowess.
01[15:01] "Same goes to you, Valian. We ain't never gonna forget the kind of guys you is."
[15:04] Mezentius nods graciously and promises to call on Jack should he find himself in the area again.
01[15:04] With that, Jack and his people take off in the wagons. The future looks bright for Mezentius and Valian. What will they do next?
[15:05] They head to the capital. Time to get some alchemist answers. About magical amulets, rings and those who bore them.
[15:05] "Now, Valian, we should turn to your quest against the Alchemist's Guild. By Zeus, if they do not fulfil their debts to you as you deserve, Mezentius shall see them brought low!"
01[15:07] The Capital Road is fairly well guarded, having a small guard station every half mile or so. The guards regard you curiously, but make no move to hinder your journey. After an hour of walking, you find yourselves at the main gate of the Capital. A guard at a booth, without looking up, asks "Names?"
[15:07] "Hawksword," Valian replies.
[15:07] Inwardly he rolls his eyes. Is the guard going to write it down?
[15:08] Would a wanted man use his actual name when entering the city?
[15:08] "Mezentius of Karkhedon." Mezentius declares, not much more impressed. Is this the attention shown to nobility in these parts?
01[15:08] The guard scrawls down the stated names. "And your business here?"
[15:09] "Hmph. I had thought to gather a retinue within the city walls, but perhaps I should have entered with one."
[15:09] Then this soldier would know whose time he is wasting.
[15:10] "Guild business," Valian says, annoyed now. "Why are you making them wait for the Basilious of Karkhedon?"
01[15:10] Absentmindedly the soldier writes down and repeats "Re-te-nue. Guild. Alright move along."
[15:11] Mezentius forgets about the peon as soon as he is behind them.
[15:11] In truth knowing little of the Alchemist's Guild or Valian's feud with them, he allows the ranger to choose their destination.
[15:12] He does, however, keep an eye out for accomodations suitable for a man of rank.
[15:12] There is always the possibility of asking for hospitality from a fellow aristocrat, but better to have lodgings of his own...
[15:13] Valian pauses upon entering the city. He's never been here before, and he's out of his element.
[15:13] He grabs the arm of the nearest passerby. "You. Where's the Alchemist's Guild?"
01[15:14] The rather skinny old man answers, "Guild? It's with the rest of them, on Guild Road. That way." He points. "Can you spare a copper for an old man who helped you?"
[15:14] Valian spares three, and moves on down the road where the old man pointed.
01[15:16] "Blessings, milord!" the old man cries out after them, which gets the attention of more scruffy looking people. Despite the crowds Valian manages to find the area quickly enough, though they are stopped from entering the district proper by another guard. "Halt. What business do you have on Guild Road?"
[15:17] "Guild business." Mezentius tries Valian's line, trusting in his noble garb and bearing.
[15:17] Who would tell an aristocrat they can't go where they like?
01[15:18] The guard, previously looking at Valian, turns to look at Mezentius. "Ah, of course. Pardon, milord." The guard steps aside.
[15:19] Mezentius sweeps onward.
[15:20] Valian follows closely.
01[15:20] Guild Road is far less crowded than the other streets, so not just anyone is allowed here.
[15:22] Valian informs Mezentius as they walk. "This district was designated by the Duke himself as the official neighborhood for Guildhouses for the entire region, as well as living quarters for the Guildmeisters and kin."
[15:23] "And this is where official guild matters are settled, rather than where commerce takes place, which would be the Marketplace here and wherever in various towns."
01[15:23] Athena's groans echo from Olympus.
[15:24] "Hark, it seems as though I hear the groans of the gods themselves! It seems to come from... that way." Mezentius points to a large building.
[15:24] Could it be the Alchemist's Guild that they seek?
[15:24] One more secret blow for the Celtic pantheons, Valian thinks to himself as he looks at the building Mezentius has indicated.
01[15:25] Dozens of fancy Guildhouses line the street. The alchemists' guildhouse sits at the very end of it, inconveniently enough. But it is there.
[15:25] And soon enough, so are they.
01[15:25] Yet another guard stands at the doors. "Can I help you sirs?"
[15:26] "We need to meet with the Meister," Valian states.
01[15:27] "Do you have an appointment?"
[15:28] "I am sure the Meister will want to see us immediately."
[15:29] Valian looks incredulously at the man. "Do you not recognize Basilious Mezentius? Will you make him wait in line like some common lickspittle?"
01[15:29] Clearly uneasy, the guard nonetheless acqueieces. "Right. Go right ahead and speak to the clerk inside." He opens the door for you.
[15:30] Mezentius strides onward with immense self-assurance, sparing the guard not another glance.
[15:32] In the foyer, he kicks the dust of the road from his sandals. Not his purple cloak, though - not a travel stain to see there, for he has had it cleaned every night.
[15:32] He looks about.
01[15:33] Inside Mezentius and Valian spy a spacious and luxurious manor, with tasteful paintings lining the walls, seemingly of famous Guildmeisters of the past. Directly ahead they see a man sitting at a desk writing on papers. At the sound of the door closing he looks up. "Yes? Ah, you must be the Meister's noon appointment. You're early. Have a seat." He points to a pair of couches in the open space, near the fireplace.
[15:35] Mezentius reclines and waits for serving girls to appear with refreshments.
[15:35] Valian does not correct him, as they are currently indeed the Meister's afternoon appointment.
01[15:36] "I'll let the Meister know you are here." The clerk goes upstairs. Meanwhile a rather old woman walks in. "Tea, sirs? We have the finest in the Duchy."
[15:37] "If it's strong, Mother," Valian answers respectfully.
[15:37] Hm. Not exactly the wine Mezentius might have preferred, but he nods.
01[15:39] "Oh my, yes. Alchemy isn't just for explosions, you know!" she chuckles at her own joke before pouring you each a cup, then putting a tea bag in each.
01[15:40] She then places the tray with the milk and sugar on it and departs the room.
[15:42] Valian sips the tea, evaluating its potency. He is used to strong teas from bark and herbs in the wild, and typically finds civilization to lack such kick.
01[15:43] This tea is both very strong and utterly unlike anything Valian has tasted before. Alchemy indeed.
01[15:45] A few minutes later, the clerk returns. "The Meister is ready to see you now. This way."
[15:45] They head in.
01[15:45] The clerk leads you upstairs to a large wooden door. He knocks once and then departs. A moment later a "Come in" is heard from the other side.
[15:46] Mezentius strides boldly in.
[15:46] Valian opens the door for him, following closely.
01[15:48] The Meister, a large man in an opulent robe, is looking out the window. "Alhandra, Devis, so good of you to co-" as he turns around he stops mid-sentence. "What. Who are YOU?"
[15:49] "Mezentius, Basileos of Karkhedon. My man here has business with you, and I am here to see that it is done."
[15:50] Valian does not dissemble. "What was your business on the Isle of Repose?"
01[15:52] "Isle of...who do you think I am? And who are you to demand answers of me!?"
[15:53] "You are the man in charge of Nebin the False, who contracted me to guide him to the Isle on guild business."
[15:54] "You are the man who employed the Dark Master of Repose, a rotund wizard who enslaved the population on the Isle, and turned them to cannibalism."
[15:55] "You are the man who is going to pay me and answer me, or you are the man who is going to answer to me, and pay for his crimes."
01[15:55] "Nebin the...what are you on about? This sounds like a bunch of nonsense. I don't care what deals you had with that wily gnome, but it has nothing to do with me. Begone!"
[15:55] Valian slams down the letter of introduction.
[15:56] Mezentius folds his massive arms.
01[15:56] "Again, I don't care what business you had with Nebin. What, that little ******* owes you money? Join the club!"
[15:57] "Your man tried to have me killed. You're going to pay. It's your choice if that's going to be in gold and services or a different tender."
[15:57] Valian holds up the Dark Master's amulet and ring. "And you're going to explain what your exiled guildsman was doing on the Isle before Nebin tried to have him killed."
[15:58] "And by tried I mean, had him killed."
01[15:59] The Guildmeister pauses while he takes this all in. "Let me see if I understand. Nebin hired you for work on the Isle of Repose, and also to kill ANOTHER member of our guild, and turned on you, but you killed him instead. And you somehow want me to pay for this?"
[16:00] "Close. You are going to pay for it. You are going to tell me what these are, and why or how the Dark Master was using them to enslave the population. You are going to tell me what was so important about his work."
01[16:01] "Who the HELLS is the "Dark Master"? You think anyone actually goes by that name?"
[16:02] Valian describes the ****** to the guildmeister.
01[16:03] "Oh, Sergius? Well that explains...wait you killed Sergius!?"
[16:05] Valian pulls out the head and flings it at the guildmeister. "Enough of this dissembling! Answer me!"
01[16:07] The head flies to the left, kind of ruining the effect.
[16:11] It does not however, lessen Valian's expectation for an answer.
01[16:11] The Guildmeister rubs his head as though in pain. "Alright, alright, all I know is those two were heated rivals. Couldn't stand each other. Sergius was a lot more popular, though. He had a...confidence to him. Like he could do anything. Nebin hated that. They were both working on some grand experiment, seperately. Another rivalry. Sergius always said that life itself wasn't some divine secret, but just a matter of the right formula. I think Nebin wanted to beat him to it. Sergius vanished a few months ago, after his wife passed on. I didn't know he went to the Isle of Repose though."
[16:13] "Perhaps you'd like to form a hat trick?" he asks both anachronistically and ominously. "Your man Sergi suggested that his work was of the utmost importance. Are you implying this is just some...masturbatory contest between the two? My life was threatened! Sergius was raising the dead! You owe me more than this."
[16:14] "Hmph. Cannibalism, murder, and now even guildsmen seeking to violate the divine order of life?" Mezentius looks about at the walls of the Alchemist's Guild with new suspicion, suddenly glad that he did not drink the tea.
[16:14] "What goes on within these walls?"
01[16:16] At the implied threat, the Guildmeister's contenance grows cold. "Look, I already told you, I don't know what he was doing. Necromancy? On the Isle of Repose. Makes sense. Cannibalism? I have no idea. You were there, you tell me what you saw."
[16:19] Valian does, in exacting detail.
01[16:20] "Wait, you dumped Nebin in an experimental vat? And you didn't even examine Sergius' lab for clues? And you left a live man in a cage? And left a half-orc naked? Are you completely ins-" he suddenly stops.
[16:21] "Do go on," Valian encourages.
01[16:22] "I *suggest* you go find what you're looking for back on the Isle of Repose."
[16:24] Mezentius frowns.
[16:24] Valian blinks. "Back to the Isle of Repose. That's a good idea."
[16:24] "It is not up to my man to remedy your own failures in overseeing your guildsmen..."
[16:25] He trails off as Valian seems to disagree.
[16:26] Mezentius shakes his head.
[16:26] Without a word to Mezentius, Valian turns around and walks towards the door.
[16:26] "Back to the Isle of Repose. A really good idea."
[16:27] "Hold a moment. If you want to hire my man to investigate this for you, well and good. But in that case you owe him compensation, not to mention you should send a mage who can puzzle out the arcane."
[16:27] "No, Mezentius. I must go back to the Isle of Repose. It's a really good idea."
01[16:28] "I look forward to hearing of whatever you learn from the Isle. Good day to you both."
[16:29] Mezentius scowls darkly. "If you will not provide a mage of your own, I shall advertise openly in the city, seeking an independent mage to investigate this guild's necromanctic and blasphemous activities upon the Isle."
01[16:30] "Well, I would suggest otherwise, but you're a free man. Kindly leave before I am forced to alert the guards."
01[16:32] He smirks at a pun only he can understand.
[16:32] "I will not be dismissed like some servant, guildmeister." Mezentius's scowl goes darker still.
[16:32] Valian reaches the door.
[16:32] "A really good idea."
[16:32] Mezentius frowns. "What has gotten into y..."
[16:33] He trails off, and looks back at the guildmeister.
[16:35] "By Zeus, sorcerer, lift your charm on my man or lose your life!" Mezentius springs at the foe.
01[16:36] The Guildmeister deflects the spear that almost hit his shoulder with a magical shield.
[16:37] Valian politely leaves the room on his new quest.
01[16:39] The Guildmeister calls upon the power of motherfucking winter and blasts the demigod with it, and Mezentius is unable to weather the storm, taking 37 cold damage.
01[16:40] The room is thrashed by the cold. What a mess.
01[16:40] "Guards! Guards! Get this intruder!"
[16:41] The lightning of Zeus flash from Mezentius's eyes, but Mezentius realizes he may be outmatched.
[16:42] "By the gods you will pay for this, mage! Magic cannot strike down royalty!"
[16:42] Mezentius spins and makes to follow Valian, leaving the mage stuck behind his desk. He kicks the door shut behind him.
01[16:44] Mezentius sees that the Guildmeister does not seem to persue him. Three guards stand downstairs. Seeing Valian already leaving and seeing Mezentius still upstairs, they deduce that he's the intruder in question. Ignoring Valian, they move towards him.
[16:44] "The Isle of Repose is a good idea." Valian expresses to Mezentius as he catches up.
[16:47] "Hah! The quicker the better!"
[16:49] Valian cuts at the guard in his way, explaining. "We must go to the Isle of Repose. It's a good idea."
01[16:50] While Valian's first swipe accomplishes nothing against the guard's shield, his second attack manages to stab a guard a little.
01[16:50] Suddenly the guards are on alert against two attackers.
[16:50] Valian keeps moving towards the exit. Nothing will prevent him from gaining the Isle of Repose.
[16:52] Mezentius tries to bowl over the same guard on his way to the exit.
01[16:53] Mezentius takes out the guard that Valian wounded, and gives it good to the the other guard as well. The third is unwounded thus far.
01[16:53] Guard 1 and 3 move in, unaware of just how dangerous a giant pike can be.
01[16:54] And Guard 1 now knows.
01[16:55] The guard's tiny spear is no match for Mezentius' royal armaments.
01[16:55] The clerk and old lady duck for cover.
[16:56] Valian leaves. "A good idea."
01[16:58] Mezentius thunks the guard in the head, but it does not go down. The guard swipes at Mezentius in turn, but accomplishes nothing. The guard gives chase.
01[16:58] And he chases more more, getting wiped out for his troubles.
01[16:59] AND SO THE DUO ESCAPES THE HELLHORRORS OF THE ALCHEIST GUILDHOUSE. As Valian engages on his newfound quest, what dangers await him? What will become of Mezentius, who is very cold now? Find out next week!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KCG's Awesome Log
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 am
Posts: 1247
01[13:10] <@DungeonMaster> WHERE WE LAST MET OUR HEROES, they were having a nice conversation with a talking abomination. This conversation is still taking place.
[13:11] <Valian> Valian looks at Mez, to take stock of the giant's opinion on treating with dying abominations of flesh and horror.
[13:12] <Mezentius> "Why should we trust you?"
[13:12] <Mezentius> "You say you are not Nebin, but truly, he was my enemy and I see his countenance upon you."
01[13:14] <@DungeonMaster> Sixteen shrugs with his Sergius arms. "You have no reason to trust me, true. But if there is something I can do to put you at ease, do not hesitate to ask."
[13:15] <Valian> "What...is this knowledge you claim?"
01[13:16] <@DungeonMaster> "I know all that Nebin knew. I know all that the two goblins and the hobgoblin I consumed knew. And with this knowledge, I have deciphered much of Sergius' notes. I've also made some guesses based on what I've observed in this lab."
[13:16] <Valian> "What was Sergius doing here?"
01[13:18] <@DungeonMaster> "He was attempting to bring back his wife. His attempts at creating life, his gathering of the bones, all his efforts were towards this end. Yet...I am forced to suspect he was mad. I don't think he could accomplish what he was attempting. Not this way."
01[13:19] <@DungeonMaster> Sixteen sighs. "Even if he could create human flesh, and graft it onto an assembled skeleton, and bestow life back into old bones...this thing would not be the same woman."
[13:19] <Mezentius> "If you would gain my trust... give me information that I can use against my enemies. What did Nebin know of the Alchemists' Guild?"
[13:20] <Valian> Valian's face scrunches up at the thought of a fleshbag held together by a skeleton standing in for your old lover. He waits to hear what FleshNebin has to say about the guild.
01[13:21] <@DungeonMaster> Nebin's head turns towards Mezentius. "Ah, yes. Nebin only suspected...but the hobgoblin knew. The Guildmeister knows the goblins are here, amassing, and elsewhere in the duchy. It was a secret deal. The goblins would cause some trouble, the Guildmeister would lose some enemies. Yet...the goblins won't stop there. They are to doublecross the Guildmeister. This isn't a raid. This is an invasion."
01[13:22] <@DungeonMaster> "They came here, a few times, but when they saw me they of course attacked. Twice I've driven them back. I suspect a third attack soon."
[13:24] <Mezentius> "How many?"
01[13:25] <@DungeonMaster> "On this island...around 60 goblins, 30 hobgoblins, and a few bugbear mercenaries...more elsewhere. Unfortunately the ones I caught don't know where the first assault will be. He was a grunt."
[13:26] <Valian> "Where are their boats?"
01[13:26] <@DungeonMaster> "And...far far more live beyond the mountains. If they hear of initial successes, they'll pour in, and I doubt all the Duke's knights and men can fight them off. Especially surprised."
[13:26] <Valian> "How...and why, are they amassing on an island?"
01[13:27] <@DungeonMaster> "Boats, landing on the eastern shore. It's isolated. Only bandits live here, after all. The Guildmeister gave them information."
[13:28] <Valian> Valian looks at Mezentius. "We've got to stop them. Destroy the boats, stall the invasion, pick them off in the chaos."
[13:29] <Mezentius> Mezentius nods. "So we shall, by Zeus."
[13:29] <Mezentius> "Your goblin did not know where. Did he know when?"
01[13:30] <@DungeonMaster> "It was a week when he found me...so...five days now? So word likely reached the commanders by now."
[13:31] <Valian> "What about the orc?"
01[13:32] <@DungeonMaster> "Krusk was gone by the time I subsumed Nebin. I know not where he got to."
01[13:34] <@DungeonMaster> "Now, I have a request, if you would at least hear it before you depart."
[13:34] <Valian> "So what do you think, hold off the third assault here, or head right to take out the boats?" Val asks Mez, although he does not deny FleshNebin the opportunity to continue.
[13:36] <Mezentius> "We must learn how well guarded the boats are and how many of them will come against this place."
[13:36] <Mezentius> "And yes, ask your request."
01[13:38] <@DungeonMaster> "I believe there is a method for me to stablize my body, perhaps even shape me into something less...unpleasant. Before he came here, Nebin succeeded in crafting a potent reagent, a sort of liquid philosopher's stone. It would be beneath his home, in his laboratory. If you could retrieve it for me, I would be forever in your debt. After your more important missions, of course."
[13:39] <Valian> "...I don't like debt. If you really have Nebin's mind in there, you know I like payment."
01[13:41] <@DungeonMaster> "Well...the truth is he doesn't have the money to pay you. Or anyone. It was his scheme. He never had confidence in his tongue, but he knew everyone loves coin. So he'd promise it, and simply...never come through. He always thought he could stay one step ahead of everyone. He was...he was going to leave you here of course. And then he was going to leave the Duchy entirely. Of course...you changed that."
01[13:42] <@DungeonMaster> "I suppose if you ransacked his dwelling you might earn enough to satisfy you...if the guardians didn't kill you first."
[13:42] <Mezentius> "Payment need not be coin alone."
[13:42] <Mezentius> "It is well that you should cast off this form and assume one more pleasing to the immortal gods."
[13:43] <Mezentius> "If we aid you in so doing, will you repay us with loyal service?"
01[13:43] <@DungeonMaster> "Whatever is within my power to do for you, I would."
[13:44] <Valian> Valian looks at Mezentius, agreeing.
[13:45] <Mezentius> "Then so be it. If your form can be mended, then Mezentius of Karkhedon and bold Valian shall see it done."
01[13:47] <@DungeonMaster> "I am truly humbled, sirs. Now as I mentioned, Nebin's dwelling is guarded. There are many alchemical substances within, but the one I need is a singular vial filled with black liquid. There will be none other like it within the lab."
[13:48] <Mezentius> "Behold!"
[13:48] <Mezentius> Mezentius produces a singular vial filled with black liquid.
01[13:48] <@DungeonMaster> Sixteen's eyes go wide.
01[13:49] <@DungeonMaster> "You...I see...of course you were already there. Why did I assume you got out on your own, Mezentius?"
[13:50] <Mezentius> "Indeed, we were there, and though his protector was mighty, it was not so mighty as Mezentius and Valian."
[13:50] <Valian> "Nebin's tricks were not enough to bind him forever."
[13:51] <Mezentius> "Take this vial and do what is needed. And I have one more question for you."
01[13:51] <@DungeonMaster> "He did think himself very clever. Now as for this vial! I will need a day to fully prepare it for use. If you would like to remain here, and perhaps catch the third patrol off guard, I would be happy to host you. Otherwise I will do my best to barricade this place and keep the goblins distracted."
01[13:51] <@DungeonMaster> "Ask away, please."
[13:51] <Mezentius> "Where upon this island might I find the birds of Zeus nesting?"
01[13:53] <@DungeonMaster> Sixteen wracks his brains. "Ah, eagles! Yes. Southeast of here, there is a large next. In a tree along the cliffs. The goblins wanted to eat the eggs, but feared the climb."
01[13:53] <@DungeonMaster> *nest
[13:54] <Mezentius> Mezentius nods. "Valian, the messengers of Zeus will help us learn what we need to know."
[13:54] <Mezentius> "We can then return here to defend the place or strike at the boats - whichever seems best."
01[13:55] <@DungeonMaster> "I would prefer you stay...but I'll admit it is another selfish request."
01[13:55] <@DungeonMaster> "Though if you can capture a goblin alive..."
[13:57] <Mezentius> Mezentius nods, but the king has clearly become distracted in the last few moments.
[13:58] <Mezentius> In truth, he is sinking into the trance required to summon up another of the powers of Royalty - the power to speak with beasts.
[14:01] <Mezentius> Soon he sets off for the eagle's nest. Lacking a wolf, he instead asks some of the lesser creatures of the isle to raise a racket if they see a goblin war party drawing near.
01[14:02] <@DungeonMaster> A chirpy bird says he'll chirp extra loud. A squirrel asks if you will give him a nut, but then says nevermind.
[14:02] <Mezentius> After making such arrangements, Mezentius goes in search of the kingliest of birds.
01[14:02] <@DungeonMaster> As you depart, Sixteen laborously moves to make his space a little safer, moving necessary equipment into a room with a door.
01[14:03] <@DungeonMaster> With Valian's unerring sense of direction and knowledge of the island, you are able to find the southeastern cliff shore within two-and-a-half hours.
01[14:06] <@DungeonMaster> Valian spots the eagle's nest with little difficulty.
01[14:06] <@DungeonMaster> http://cdn.zmescience.com/wp-content/up ... -eagle.jpg
01[14:08] <@DungeonMaster> As if on cue, one of the eagles departs of the nest with a glorious screech. Probably to catch a fish.
[14:08] <Mezentius> "O King of Birds!" Mezentius calls in a great voice, in the tongue of eagles.
[14:08] <Mezentius> "Heed us! We bring news of danger to the nest!"
01[14:09] <@DungeonMaster> The bird turns around and heads down. Landing on an overhead branch, it screeches back. "Danger? What danger?"
[14:09] <Mezentius> "Sneaky goblins would seek to steal your eggs in the night. They are our enemies too."
[14:09] <Mezentius> "Let us cooperate."
01[14:10] <@DungeonMaster> "Goblins! What are goblins? They won't take my eggs. What do you say, big-two-legs?"
[14:11] <Mezentius> "Surely your kingly eyes have seen the goblins and their friends creeping about." Mezentius describes these creatures."
[14:11] <Valian> Valian looks on, having not invoked his own tongue of the birds.
[14:11] <Mezentius> "They know about your nest and its eggs. They are afraid to climb, but they are clever."
01[14:12] <@DungeonMaster> "I see all! Yes. These things. I see them walk past on their two legs. They will not have my eggs. But how can I stop them?"
[14:12] <Mezentius> "They can chop... or burn."
01[14:12] <@DungeonMaster> "Fire! Fire is bad! Must fly away from fire."
[14:12] <Mezentius> "Help us kill them all, O King of Birds. Your kingly eyes see everything from on high."
[14:13] <Mezentius> "Tell us where they are and when they go moving about."
[14:13] <Mezentius> "If you spy them out and tell us of their movements, we will fight them, and make the nest safe."
01[14:14] <@DungeonMaster> "I will find the goblins, I will find all the goblins! I will screech when I see a goblin and you will kill it." The eagle flies off. Its mate, hearing the conversation from a distance, also takes off.
[14:15] <Valian> "Success?" Valian asks
[14:15] <Mezentius> "Yes. Let us hunt goblins until nightfall."
01[14:15] <@DungeonMaster> They fly inland.
[14:16] <Mezentius> "I think it is likely that they will attack our ally once it is dark. We should be back by then."
[14:16] <Mezentius> "Does this seem a good plan to you, Valian?"
[14:16] <Valian> "Indeed. They see well in the darkness."
[14:16] <Mezentius> Mezentius nods, and the two heroes set out, following the birds.
01[14:18] <@DungeonMaster> The heroes walk back north, following the birds as best they can. As they come near to the mausoleum again, screeching fills the air. The birds circle above the gate of the burial grounds outside the mausoleum.
[14:18] <Valian> "It seems our first battleground is here."
01[14:18] <@DungeonMaster> Suddenly, an arrow flies out at the eagles. Thankfully it misses!
[14:19] <Mezentius> Mezentius takes up his spear. "Then let us advance."
01[14:21] <@DungeonMaster> The goblins are before you!
01[14:23] <@DungeonMaster> The goblins stupidly charge a guy with a spear.
01[14:23] <@DungeonMaster> But it seems to work out for them!
01[14:25] <@DungeonMaster> The front two goblins strike out at the heroes. One swings short of Valian's calves, but the other hits Mezentius for 5 damage!
[14:25] <Mezentius> Royalty shall not be so abused by mere goblins. Mezentius retaliates with wrathful might.
01[14:27] <@DungeonMaster> Mezentius's butt flies high, but his spear takes a goblin's head clean off!
01[14:29] <@DungeonMaster> The spear also cleaves into another goblin, taking its head off too. But then the cleavage somehow ends.
[14:33] <Valian> Val twists around the goblin before him, landing directly in the midst of the foes. He spins his dual blades in dizzying patterns, hoping to lay waste to these foul beings.
01[14:35] <@DungeonMaster> Valian's furious bladework lays waste to three goblins.
01[14:35] <@DungeonMaster> They scream prayers to their heathen goblin god in the goblin tongue.
01[14:38] <@DungeonMaster> The goblins attempt to surround Valian while another two go for Mezentius, their blades thirsty for blood. And some find purchase, dealing 9 damage to Valian and 6 to Mezentius.
[14:40] <Mezentius> Mezentius moves to put his back to Valian, and whirls upon their goblin assailants.
01[14:41] <@DungeonMaster> Mezentius's assault takes out all but one of the goblins, since one was already injured. Now only one remains
[14:41] <Valian> Valian strikes to subdue. Perhaps this foul creature can be interrogated.
01[14:42] <@DungeonMaster> The last goblin is knocked out cold.
[14:43] <Valian> After disarming them all and ensuring that the others are indeed dead, a few slaps are aimed at the unconscious goblin to bring it back around.
[14:44] <Valian> Valian has little patience though. If it does not cooperate or waken swiftly, he will feed it to Sixteen.
01[14:44] <@DungeonMaster> The slaps only satisfy your bloodlust. The goblin will have to be healed or allowed to come to naturally.
01[14:45] <@DungeonMaster> Meanwhile, you have aquired 10 scimitars, ten shields, and ten sets of goblin-sized leather armor.
[14:46] <Mezentius> The pair deposit the unconscious goblin with Sixteen for a less traditional interrogation.
[14:47] <Mezentius> Meanwhile, the sun is not yet low. There is more hunting to do this day.
01[14:47] <@DungeonMaster> Returning to the mausoleum, the pair find Sixteen behind a locked door in one of the far rooms. He lets you in and eagerly takes the goblin. He presses it against his torso, and the goblin's body quickly sinks into it, leaving only the head sticking out.
01[14:48] <@DungeonMaster> After a few minutes, Sixteen nods. "Yes, he was on patrol with the others. To find out what happened to the other patrols that came here. They want alchemical items from Sergius. Alchemist's fire, and such."
01[14:49] <@DungeonMaster> "Of course, this being the third patrol, they were just going to kill him, since they assume he crossed them."
[14:49] <Mezentius> "Who is the overall commander here?" Mezentius inquires.
[14:50] <Valian> "Probably one of the hobs," Valian answers.
[14:50] <Valian> "Little cowards love licking hob boots.
01[14:50] <@DungeonMaster> "A...hobgoblin. Captain Rasctlap. He is in charge on this island."
01[14:51] <@DungeonMaster> "A very scary warrior. Kills for fun."
[14:52] <Mezentius> "Ha. Right you are, Valian."
[14:52] <Mezentius> "Well, let us go hunting."
[14:52] <Mezentius> "There is time yet in the day to slay another band."
[14:53] <Valian> Valian follows Mezentius out, and begins looking for goblin sign.
01[14:53] <@DungeonMaster> "I don't think there will be another patrol to this area." Sixteen interjects. "If they come here again, it will be the full warband."
[14:53] <Valian> "We will ensure that is less than full when the time comes, Sixteen," Valian calls back to the strange being.
01[14:53] <@DungeonMaster> Valian spots without trying the two eagles flying east, to a part of the island he hasn't been to as of yet.
[14:54] <Mezentius> Mezentius agrees. "We have some time before they learn of the third patrol's death. Best to pick some off elsewhere before that happens."
[14:54] <Mezentius> He follows Valian and the eagles.
01[14:56] <@DungeonMaster> The eagles stop after about an hour and begin circling and crying out. Valian again spots without trying a trio of hobgoblins. One is sitting on a fresh stump, the other two standing guard. They look up at the eagles, but haven't spotted you through the woods.
01[14:58] <@DungeonMaster> The hobs are rather well-armored and have better weapons than the goblins did. Longswords! And a greatsword.
01[15:00] <@DungeonMaster> With shots that would have felled goblins, Valian only succeeds in alerting the hobgoblins with arrows against their polished armor.
01[15:01] <@DungeonMaster> And then a javelin falls at their feet.
01[15:01] <@DungeonMaster> "Die, humans!" The big one cries out in Goblin.
[15:01] <Mezentius> Mezentius switches to his spear and awaits their attack.
01[15:03] <@DungeonMaster> The two guards shoot with their bows as they advance.
01[15:03] <@DungeonMaster> One shot is pitifully bad, the other manages to hit Mezentius for 2 damage.
01[15:04] <@DungeonMaster> The big one on the other hand moves in closer.
[15:05] <Valian> The big one moves in under heavy fire from Valian.
01[15:05] <@DungeonMaster> An arrow sinks into the big one's arm. Heavily.
[15:06] <Mezentius> Mezentius tries another spear as the foe closes in.
[15:06] <Mezentius> He scowls as it goes wide again, and awaits him with the spear.
01[15:06] <@DungeonMaster> The big one shakes his head at the failed javelin. "Weak! Like you all are!"
01[15:07] <@DungeonMaster> The guards advance closer, but their arrows fail to find purchase.
01[15:07] <@DungeonMaster> The big one then surges forth!
01[15:08] <@DungeonMaster> While one of his swings goes wide, the other sinks into Mezentius' mighty abs, dealing 12 damage.
[15:09] <Valian> Val aims another arrow at the hobgoblin, but it goes wide.
[15:10] <Mezentius> Mezentius laughs off the hit and replies with a barrage of his own.
01[15:10] <@DungeonMaster> The butt hits the hobgoblin in the head. It scowls.
01[15:10] <@DungeonMaster> The guards now pull forth their longswords to strike!
01[15:11] <@DungeonMaster> Though he tries, Mezentius fails to get one over the hobgoblins
01[15:12] <@DungeonMaster> One of the hobgoblin's swords get Mezentius in his mighty abs again! Dealing 12 damage.
01[15:12] <@DungeonMaster> Luckily the big one isn't so lucky with his swings
01[15:13] <@DungeonMaster> Valian remembers now that hobgoblins become much more dangerous working closely together.
[15:14] <Valian> He moves in on the king's left, doing his best to kill the big hob and his flanker.
01[15:15] <@DungeonMaster> Valian gives it good to both goblins. The smaller one looks nearly dead, the big one not quite so.
[15:16] <Mezentius> Mezentius continues to vie with the enemy leader.
[15:17] <Mezentius> "No goblin in all the kingdoms will ever strike me down!"
[15:17] <Valian> "Don't let more than one of you engage at a time, if you can help it," Valian advises. "They work better in packs."
01[15:17] <@DungeonMaster> With a brutal assault, Mezentius brings the big one to his knees with a stab of his spear in the gobbo's less impressive abs. then he sends him to the ground with the butt of his spear.
01[15:19] <@DungeonMaster> Though shaken at the loss of their leader, the hobgoblins do not relent, dealing 13 damage to Mezentius and 8 to Valian.
[15:20] <Valian> Val lunges in, hoping to kill the wounded hob.
01[15:21] <@DungeonMaster> Valian succeeds, stabbing the dumb thing straight through his neck.
[15:21] <Mezentius> Mezentius rounds upon the final survivor.
[15:21] <Mezentius> "I am BASILEUS MEZENTIUS!"
01[15:22] <@DungeonMaster> Mezentius strikes with tremendous force, impaling the hobgoblin entirely through, but then the force continues to send the hob forward and off the spear, in a way that doesn't seem actually possible. Yet it happened.
01[15:23] <@DungeonMaster> Two longswords, a great sword, two sets of chain mail, two shields, and a suit of half plate are you prize
[15:24] <Valian> Valian gathers up some of the grass and folds it into a leaf, chewing it to mix his saliva with the precious herbs. He lays some over his wounds and those of Mezentius, whispering a prayer to Airmid, goddess of the medicinal plants.
[15:26] <Mezentius> Mezentius speaks with their eagle allies and makes plans to continue the hunt tomorrow, once the two heroes have recovered from their battles.
01[15:27] <@DungeonMaster> The eagles gorge themselves on hobgoblin flesh before heading home, no doubt to regurgitate some for their babies.
01[15:27] <@DungeonMaster> Or eggs. Whatever.
01[15:27] <@DungeonMaster> Heading back, Sixteen briefly looks to see if you'be brought back another goblinoid to eat, but seeing none he goes back to work.
01[15:30] <@DungeonMaster> "Go ahead and rest. I will alert you if any danger arrives. I will continue my work."
[15:30] <Mezentius> Mezentius goes through their spoils, picking a shield and a bow and collecting the javelins in case the pair should find themselves engaged in more ranged combat.
01[15:32] <@DungeonMaster> The pair rest through the night, having alchemical dreams of alchemical fire. When they awake the following morning, they see Sixteen still working.
[15:33] <Valian> "Sixteen, are you able to identify magical items?"
[15:33] <Valian> "I took these from Sergius, and was wondering what they did."
[15:33] <Valian> He presents the amulet and ring.
01[15:33] <@DungeonMaster> "I...may be able to...oh these! They were mentioned in his notes, but since I didn't see them I didn't know what to make of it."
01[15:34] <@DungeonMaster> "The amulet was stolen from one of these noble dead. It's provides protections against weapon and spell alike. Note how it has the royal family crest, ever so subtly carved."
01[15:36] <@DungeonMaster> "Now this ring, this he already had with him. Note the tiny skull. This is the ring he used to command the dead here. Yes I remember those, from Nebin. Once a day it can be used to overwhelm the dark instict or commands of the walking dead."
01[15:37] <@DungeonMaster> "but it's dangerous...failure can result in a necrotic backlack."
01[15:38] <@DungeonMaster> Assuming you are satisfied, Sixteen gets back to work.
[15:38] <Valian> Valian scowls. Such black magic is highly distasteful to him. "Take the amulet Mezentius, it will protect you further."
[15:39] <Valian> "Do you wish this ring of the dead? I admit, it is unlikely I will ever use such a thing."
01[15:40] <@DungeonMaster> Sixteen raises an eyebrow. "I...this may be useful in my transformation. A magical focus. To keep things...contained."
01[15:41] <@DungeonMaster> As Mezentius places the amulet over his head, a wave of...confidence fills him. Surely there is nothing he cannot handle.
[15:41] <Mezentius> Truly a new feeling for the mighty king.
[15:42] <Valian> "Take it then, Sixteen, and do not forget my incredible kindness."
01[15:43] <@DungeonMaster> "I think," Sixteen mentions as an aside, "that you won't find any more patrols. With so many dead, they will likely withdraw to their compound and move as one."
[15:43] <Valian> He looks over his utterly unmagical gear and packs it up once again, securing his weapons and preparing to slaughter more goblinkin.
[15:44] <Mezentius> "Why, then, that means we ourselves can move freely everywhere else. Come, Valian, I feel even more confident than all before us will be laid low before us and writhe upon the ground, biting the dust as they die."
[15:44] <Valian> "Yes. Be on the look out, a dragon lurks upon this Isle."
[15:45] <Mezentius> "Ha! Truly? A worthy challenge even for a king!"
01[15:45] <@DungeonMaster> "If you must, go forth. I'll be ready in about...six hours I think."
01[15:46] <@DungeonMaster> "In case you wanted to watch."
[15:47] <Valian> Valian heads out, looking for signs of creatures both friendly or fierce.
01[15:48] <@DungeonMaster> Valian finds that large fauna is scarse on this island. A few deer, but mostly smaller woodland critters, and even those seems scarse. Recent events must have spooked many of them away entirely. Valian also notes that the smoke from the east has grown more prevelant.
01[15:50] <@DungeonMaster> Valian recalls further west was supposed to be where the outlaw encampment was.
[15:53] <Valian> Valian tries to locate tracks for any animals that might aid them against the goblins.
[15:54] <Valian> Particularly large and fierce ones, like alpha wolves, bears and terrestrial killer whales.
01[15:54] <@DungeonMaster> Valian's expertise notes that the last terrestrial killer whale departed from this island...likely months ago. And there were never any wolves. Probably a bear though...no wait that's a squirrel.
[15:56] <Valian> He scowls as he realizes Margaret lied to him about the wolves.
01[15:56] <@DungeonMaster> Between the outlaws, Sergius, and the goblins, this island seems to have been stripped of its best assets.
[15:56] <Valian> He heads for the outlaws, to the west.
01[15:57] <@DungeonMaster> After an hours walk, they come across what looks like...tree houses. And scrapwood fortifications.
01[15:57] <@DungeonMaster> And Valian realizes...they are being watched.
[15:57] <Valian> "An injury to the unspoiled wilderness is an injury to me," he explains to Mezentius.
[16:03] <Valian> He looks around for the source of the feeling.
01[16:04] <@DungeonMaster> Valian notes...four watchers, spread across three tree houses.
[16:05] <Valian> "Four of them," he informs Mezentius, pointing them out.
[16:06] <Mezentius> Mezentius approaches the first tree house.
01[16:06] <@DungeonMaster> Realizing they aren't doing a good enough job of hiding, they sort of stand up into view. One cries out "Hey...no tresspassers!"
[16:07] <Mezentius> "Hear us out. But first, whose camp is this?"
01[16:07] <@DungeonMaster> "It's our camp, of course! All ours!"
[16:08] <Mezentius> "And who are you?"
01[16:08] <@DungeonMaster> "Who told you to come here, first?"
[16:09] <Valian> "The goblins are massing to kill you all, we wanted to see if you were alright."
01[16:10] <@DungeonMaster> "You think they're after us? That's a laugh!"
[16:10] <Mezentius> "Of course they are."
[16:10] <Valian> "No, I think they're murderous goblins, and they'll kill each and everyone of you because it's what they do."
[16:11] <Mezentius> Mezentius nods.
01[16:11] <@DungeonMaster> "Well, whatever, the boat will done b-I mean there is no boat! And what do you care if we live or die?"
[16:13] <Valian> "I'm not going to spend all day yelling up into the trees at you. Send your leader down to talk with us, like people."
01[16:14] <@DungeonMaster> Suddenly a figure seems to materialize from one of the ground enclosures, and you realize one managed to evade your sight. He's tall and seriously looking, with dark hair, dark eyes, and sickly pale skin. "Alright, talk."
[16:16] <Valian> "You are seriously looking," Valian observes.
[16:16] <Mezentius> "What is your name?"
01[16:17] <@DungeonMaster> "These are serious times, friend." There is no sincerity in the word friend. "I am Grig. Now what are you doing here?"
[16:19] <Mezentius> "Grig. I am Mezentius."
[16:19] <Mezentius> "So you plan to escape the goblins? Move to a different part of the duchy by boat?"
01[16:20] <@DungeonMaster> "I'll ask again, what are you doing here?" Grig seems impatient.
[16:21] <Valian> "We're killing goblins, before they kill everyone."
01[16:21] <@DungeonMaster> "Good for you. The goblins are that way." He points back east. "Goodbye."
[16:23] <Mezentius> "It will not work."
[16:23] <Valian> "And their conspirators are right here. Hello, Megan."
01[16:26] <@DungeonMaster> "No, I get it. You random 'adventurers' take it upon yourselves to right the wrongs of the world, and you see us, and think 'hey, let's work together'. But you failed to consider there's a reason we were here. And now there's a reason we are leaving. The world decided we were all better off dead. So we decided to live among the dead. Now goblins are here, so we are leaving the duchy entirely. Now unless you've got writs from the Duke himself declaring our crimes forgiven there is NOTHING. FOR. YOU. HERE."
[16:27] <Valian> Valian nods to Mezentius. "He's right. We're not going to get his help willingly."
[16:28] <Mezentius> "Then Grig..."
[16:28] <Mezentius> "We challenge you for leadership of the bandits."
[16:28] <Valian> Valian's swords appear in his hands.
01[16:29] <@DungeonMaster> Grig spin kicks Valian in the jaw, dealing 8 damage.
01[16:30] <@DungeonMaster> "Kill 'em dead, boys." Grig calmly announces.
[16:30] <Mezentius> Mezentius leaps upon the bandit leader.
01[16:30] <@DungeonMaster> Grig calmly dodges Mezentius' assault.
[16:31] <Mezentius> "Stay out of it!" Mezentius warns. "Grig led you to miserable wooden shacks."
[16:31] <Mezentius> "When Mezentius and Valian lead you, you will gain wealth and glory!"
[16:32] <Valian> Valian moves in, cutting at Grig's leg.
01[16:32] <@DungeonMaster> Valian cuts Grig's leg. He doesn't cry out or anything.
01[16:32] <@DungeonMaster> The bandits seem to be hesitating...
01[16:33] <@DungeonMaster> Grig launches a punishing roundhouse kick, dealing 11 damage to Valian and 8 to Mezentius.
[16:35] <Mezentius> Kick the man may, but Mezentius has deadlier weapons than a foot.
01[16:36] <@DungeonMaster> Mezentius' brutalizes Grig. His arm hangs limp at his side. One hit more would likely take him out. His face is dispassionate, however.
[16:37] <Valian> As is Valian's as he flails about, hoping to distract Grig from Mezentius.
[16:38] <Mezentius> Mezentius laughs as his immense might begins to tell upon his foe. "You might have laid low a mortal man, Grig."
[16:38] <Mezentius> "But I am no mortal!"
[16:38] <Mezentius> "I am royalty!"
01[16:38] <@DungeonMaster> Grig raises an eyebrow at Valian. "I made my peace with death long ago. Enjoy explaining to the gods why you killed a man unprovoked." His injuries leave him unable to mount a successful attack against either of you.
[16:40] <Mezentius> Mezentius whirls the haft of the spear at the foe's head.
01[16:40] <@DungeonMaster> Mezentius knocks Grig unconscious. He falls without a sound.
01[16:40] <@DungeonMaster> The bandits in the treehouse cry out. "Grig! Oh gods what have we done!?"
[16:41] <Valian> More grass and spittle, Valian pushes the herbs into his wounds.
[16:41] <Mezentius> Mezentius places a foot upon the fallen foe. "Outlaws! Muster!"
[16:41] <Valian> "We will not harm your former leader further. Indeed, perhaps there is a place for him yet. But come forth, outlaws!"
01[16:41] <@DungeonMaster> They rush out of the tree to Grig's side, kneeling at his fallen form. "No, please, he's hurt, we gotta help him. Oh Grig I'm so sorry."
01[16:43] <@DungeonMaster> One of the bandits starts to cry.
[16:43] <Mezentius> Mezentius sizes up his new band of followers.
[16:44] <Valian> "These are the outlaws?" Valian asks dubiously.
01[16:44] <@DungeonMaster> "We just wanted to live in peace. Grig said there was a place we could go, start a new life. Away from here."
01[16:45] <@DungeonMaster> "A monastary he called it."
[16:45] <Valian> "And he has taught you all to fight as he does?"
01[16:46] <@DungeonMaster> "What? No. We're just common criminals."
[16:46] <Mezentius> "Not only this small island lies under threat."
01[16:47] <@DungeonMaster> "Please...we just wanted to get away...we're sorry..."
[16:47] <Mezentius> "Even the city, indeed the entire duchy are threatened. Your monastery would not have escaped the common ruin."
[16:48] <Mezentius> "For a horde awaits beyond the mountains, far outnumbering this small advance force."
[16:49] <Valian> "We must defeat them. All of us. There can be no holding back."
01[16:49] <@DungeonMaster> "And what are we gonna do about it!? Look at us! We got no food, the others took it when they left. We're all starved and scared and cold. Grig was our last hope."
01[16:49] <@DungeonMaster> "And you bastards walked in here and stabbed him! For what!?"
[16:50] <Valian> "For you."
[16:50] <Mezentius> "Yes... for you. If you would keep the hopes of your monastery alive, or indeed, anything, even these humble dwellings, intact, then there is only one path remaining."
[16:50] <Mezentius> "You must fight!"
01[16:52] <@DungeonMaster> "Go to hell! I'll never help bastards like you! Like you're any better!" The others nod in assent. "You...you go ahead and kill us now if you want. There's nothing left for us now. Just...just let us be or kill us."
[16:53] <Valian> "No. If you refuse to fight, if you insist on betraying humanity, we will not kill you. You will be taken to justice in the Duchy."
[16:53] <Valian> "Though you will be disarmed first, as per the punishment for theft."
01[16:53] <@DungeonMaster> "We're already dead men there, you dumb brute! Ain't you listening? We're OUTLAWS!"
[16:54] <Mezentius> Mezentius scowls darkly.
[16:55] <Valian> "Yes. I have been listening."
[16:55] <Mezentius> "If you would toss aside the chance to regain your honor... gain wealth and riches at my side... clear your names... then so be it. Zeus makes it clear that you are unworthy to be any followers of mine." He raises his spear.
[16:55] <Valian> "Perhaps you don't understand. I'm a representative of the guild."
[16:55] <Valian> Valian pulls out his letter of introduction.
01[16:55] <@DungeonMaster> "Guild? What guild?"
[16:56] <Valian> "The alchemist's guild."
01[16:56] <@DungeonMaster> "...What of it?"
[16:57] <Valian> "They can turn lead into gold. They can restore wealth to you all. But we need to bring down the goblins. Can any of you read?"
01[16:57] <@DungeonMaster> "You guys really think we're a bunch of hardass killers, don't you? Is that it, really?"
[16:58] <Mezentius> No. Mezentius pretty clearly has stopped thinking that by now.
[16:58] <Valian> "No, we can see that only Grig is a warrior of any note."
01[16:59] <@DungeonMaster> "And you killed him. So what do you want from us?"
[16:59] <Valian> "...Grig is not dead."
[17:00] <Valian> "We knocked him out. We're not marauding butchers."
01[17:01] <@DungeonMaster> "And we're not killers. We're a bunch of leftover pickpockets and framed peasants. Look, I know how to shoot a sling, but...all the real fighters already left. They took the good boats and left us behind. Only Grig stayed. For us."
[17:01] <Mezentius> "Where did they do?"
[17:01] <Mezentius> *go
01[17:01] <@DungeonMaster> "Who knows? Wherever wanted men go."
01[17:02] <@DungeonMaster> "They didn't exactly leave a note."
01[17:02] <@DungeonMaster> "Or a boat. So we got two more trying to build one so we can get out too."
[17:02] <Valian> "Fine. We need you to take your boat, and head for the Alchemist's Guild. Inform the Guild Leader there that he needs to pay you three hundred libits of gold."
01[17:03] <@DungeonMaster> "We are WANTED. MEN. They'll kill us before we get to the gate."
[17:04] <Mezentius> Mezentius waves a hand.
[17:04] <Mezentius> "Enough talk. These men are worthless."
[17:04] <Valian> "Well, I tried."
[17:04] <Mezentius> He pauses thoughtfully.
[17:04] <Mezentius> "Except perhaps to one man..."
[17:04] <Mezentius> Mezentius raises his spear.
01[17:06] <@DungeonMaster> They all run away like cowards. Because they are. Cowards without hope. Mezentius and Valian are left with the beaten unconscious Grig. This mission did not go as intended. Yet the goblin menace remains, and Sixteen is nearly done with his work. What twists await our...heroes? Find out next week!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KCG's Awesome Log
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:55 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 4494
WHERE WE LAST MET OUR HEROES, they were discussing options over the beaten unconscious body of an unarmed man. The goblins remain on the island, a bunch of scared criminals are scattered westward, and Sixteen readies his ritual.

A nigh-omnipotent wizard shakes his head at the scene, as he watches from his crystal ball.

Ignorant of the Guild Master's frustration, Valian nudges Grig with his foot.

Grig remains unconscious.

"Should we bother trying to include this man in our plans?" he asks Mez.

Mezentius frowns. "Maybe we can find a way. But I think in the end we may simply have to turn him in."

"How much time do we have before Sixteen's ritual?"

Mezentius looks at the sun.

Magically the phrase "six hours, less if he's managed to work it out faster" enters their heads.

"Six hours."

Valian checks his flawless ranger memory of the landscape to evaluate how quickly they can return.

"Let's see if we can find anything useful in this camp. The others didn't stop to take anything with them."

Mezentius pokes his head into each cabin.

Valian helps him search, his ranger memory low on RAM.

Valian recalls it was about an hour's walk.

True to the outlaws' word, the pair find very little around their camp. Some sticks sharpened into impromptu spears, containers with a day's worth of grain spread out between them, plenty of dirty clothes, and some spoiled meat.

Valian gathers up the treasure before hoisting Grig onto his shoulders.

Valian gains 6 improvised two-handed piercing weapons, a day of rations, 8 soiled peasant outfits, and two rotten meats.

Surely the Tosscobbles will pay a king's ransom for these.

These will come in handy if he finds orcs to leverage their racial hatred with the hobgoblins.

After returning to base laden with the spoils of victory, the pair head back out into the wild.

Sixteen looks at the unconscious man with a puzzled expression. "What am I supposed to do with him?"

"Well, don't expect him to turn over a bandit army to you, that's for certain."

Mezentius nods in agreement.

"Just keep him out for now."

"Alright. I'm very nearly done if you wanted to stick around and watch."

"Might as well," Valian shrugs. "Any help you need?"

Mezentius settles back and prepares to behold the wonders of metamorphosis.

"Yes, actually. Here, hold these Valian." Sixteen hands you the necro ring and the orb he's been clutching this whole time. "Present these strongly towards me throughout the procedure. Mezentius, if you could do the same with your amulet, standing opposite of Valian?"

"Very well."

Sixteen begins the procedure. He pours half of the black vial into one, and then another, prepared vial with some liquid already inside. Muttering arcane words neither of you have the right class to understand, he holds them up for a moment before imbibing them into his gnome and hobgoblin heads. Then he begins to glow.

As he does, his ooze body starts to contract, all the while the glow becomes more intense.
Valian presents for him.

A sensation of...gravity affects both Valian and Mezentius.

"A sensation of..." Mezentius pauses. Alas, no Isaac Newton appears to supply the word he needs.

Valian curses the lack of Emperor Dornkirk.

A forceful energy snaps at both Valian and Mezentius, like the force of the ocean dragging them from shore. Mezentius stands strong, but Valian looses his grip on the ring, which flies right into Sixteen's body. The glow becomes...purple.

A second wave of energy strikes them, and this time Mezentius loses his grip on the amulet, which also flies into Sixteen's body. The glow becomes as bright as the sun, and shifts into an indigo hue.

A third wave strikes, but this time both stand strong. The light is unbearable to look upon. Just as it seems it may result in something catastrophic, the light suddenly subsides and retreats.

Standing where Sixteen previously was is a pair of figures. One a large purple hobgoblin, the other a normal-sized blue goblin. They exclaim simultaneously "It worked!" then look at each other and jump back startled.

"My eyes are sunstruck," Mezentius mutters, blinking. "Valian, has the spell worked?"

"It..there are two now."

"And...neither one is Nebin."

"This is curious," the blue one says aloud. "Very," agrees the purple.

"It makes perfect sense that I would become a goblinoid, as that was the majority of my base matter...yet why is there another?"

Mezentius's vision clears, and he takes a step backwards.

"So you are both..."

"I am Sixteen" the purple one says matter-of-factly. "I am Sixteen" the blue one says with equal confidence.

"Valian, what do you make of this?"

"The...the spell has split them into multiple bodies."

"Or...him, into multiple bodies? That's fairly confusing, and no doubt the fault of the Alchemist's Guild."

"One more calumny to add to their account."

"Well, existential crisis aside this is probably to our benefit" the blue one exclaims. "Let us dress and prepare for the coming battle."

The purple one looks at Valian. "You've amassed a good amount of spoils from our foes: might we make use of some of them for ourselves?"

"Sixteen, how many alchemical supplies are left here?" Mezentius inquires as a thought strikes him.

Dressed in the hobgoblin armor, Valian waves Sixteen towards the hobgoblins arms.

As the pair dress, the blue one responds. "Ah, yes, I used a lot of the good components for this procedure, and nothing else here is complete and ready, but I could easily whip up...I think a few mutagens and healing potions."

"We need new names" the purple one says. "We can't both be Sixteen, and it wouldn't be fair for only one of us to keep the name." "Agreed" the blue one agrees.

In addition to clothes, Purple grabs a set of chainmail armor, a shield, a longsword, a longbow, and a quiver of arrows. Blue puts on goblin-sized leather armor, grabs a shield, a pair of scimitars, a shortbow, and a quiver of arrows.

"What about Tuvar and Baddhra?" Valian suggests.

"Which of us is Tuvar?" the purple asks.

Valian points to the blue one.

As you look at the pair, you are both reminded of a pair of goblinoid legends. The purple one reminds you of the tail of the Dark One, a hobgoblin general who was betrayed by elves, thus inspiring their eternal hatred of that race (the elves of course say no such thing happened). The blue, on the other hand, reminds you of the tales of blue goblins who supposedly had strange magical abilities

and could lead goblins to glory.

Tuvar nods. "Alright." Baddhra shrugs.

"Baddhra...are you familiar with the Dark One?" Valian asks.

"Tuvar, do you feel..." Mezentius pauses, uncertain of how a sudden upwelling of strange magical power actually feels.

Baddhra nods. "Yes. I still have alll the memories of my former...captures."

"Do I feel...what?" Tuvar raises his eyebrow.

Vocabulary has been a Deadly challenge this day.

"Magical." he settles for. "

"When I was a youth I heard stories of magical blue goblins."

"Magical? Of course." He blasts the floor with acid to demonstrate.

"Wait, I can't do that." Baddhra waves his hands to no effect. "I suppose we didn't receive equal portions of the former whole. But I can raise undead. Not sure how that came about."

Valian's lips twist. It wasn't like he was going to use the ring, but still...

"Hmm."

"Speaking of inexplicable magical abilties," Tuvar remarks, "this is something I definitely didn't know before." Tuvar unleashes a golden wave. Mezentius and Valian each feel more protected.

"That should last until I die."

"Well, needs must when the devil drives. Let us see what our enemies have been up to. And let us learn whether this isle holds anything else that might be of use."

"Oh, Valian, that orb you're holding. That is how Sergius compelled the outlaws to become cannibals. It's called the Compelling Orb. It was Nebin's 'mystical item' he first brought you here for.

"How does it work?" Valian asks.

"Well, it's very powerful and dangerous. After atuning to it, you can use it to put a compulsion into someone's mind. You sort of...state a role for them to follow, and if they can't resist the magic they obey it. From the notes I've read Sergius weakened the outlaws' wills with drugs, and of course had those who could resist killed."

"But it has side effects on the user. I don't know what. Naturally Sergius wasn't aware of them."

"Charming. Literally. Well, this ought to even the odds against the Guildmeister. Next time he'll be the one wandering aimlessly out into the wild!"

"Let's go though...you know better than us the vile plans for the duchy your former brethren are enacting."

"Yeah about that, so what's our plan here?" Baddhra asks.

"For the day, explore and search for things of use."

"At night, well..."

They DO have a hobgoblin now. And in the dark, nobody could tell that it is a purple one...

"Then we head in, have you claim to be the Dark One returned, turn the hobgoblins against their leader, and save the world."

"If that doesn't work, we try plan V."

"Rule an army of hobgoblins? Alright."

Mezentius ties Grig up securely while preparations to move out are made. He still intends to turn this man over to the authorities.

After Mezentius secures him, Grig seems to finally come to. "Huh? Is this Hades? This isn't Hades."

"No, you still are among the living."

"The four that were with me, what happened to them?"

Mezentius shrugs.

"You don't know? Did you just leave them behind then? Or did they escape you?"

Valian curls his lip in scorn.

"Ran away. Maybe they are swimming for it." Mezentius has already forgotten the trivial little men's chatter about building a boat.

"Well I'm truly sorry you couldn't talk a bunch of scared peasants into dying for you. If it's any consolation they'll die miserable and alone soon enough." Grig looks down at the floor, accepting this fate.

"Why would I care how they die?" Mezentius asks, puzzled.

Grig doesn't respond.

"A coward dies a thousand deaths," Valian offers.

"A brave man only one." Mezentius finishes.

"Speaking of dying, should I make an army of the dead maybe? Just an idea." Baddhra seems rather nonchalant about it.

"Leave them to their graves," Valian urges. "We are going to rule the living, not those passed on."

Baddhra shrugs.

"Indeed. An army of the dead will make it harder to rally an army of the living."

Mezentius leads the band forth.

Everyone goes outside. The sky is still smokey. Tuvar sniffs. "Yeah they're building a fortress on this island. Probably plan to clear the whole island."

"Of trees, that is" Baddhra adds.

"Well, let's go turn these guys on the Alchemist's Guild."

"Perhaps a hidden grove of nymphs and dryads..." Mezentius muses, still casting about for how they might find allies.

"Let us go observe their work. If they are sending parties into the woods to chop trees, we can fall upon those ones separately from the rest."

Baddhra and Tuvar nod.

The party heads east, noting that the sky becomes more smokey as they approach.

Surely the dryads are frothing in rage and ready to join forces with a noble band of heroes.

As they march, Mezentius recruits small birds and the like as advance scouts. They are here to ambush goblins, not to be ambushed themselves.

Much to his dismay, Mezentius finds that all fauna has already fled this part of the island. Least the living ones. He does find one dead bird.

Arrows land at the parties feet. Evidently they weren't stealthy enough.

Tuvar retaliates with a blob of acid at the biggest goblin, burning his body but not putting him down.

But he does not advance.

Mezentius moves forward, taking up a commanding position in between the parties and brandishing his menacing spear.

Val fires off a pair of arrows as he advances.

Val's arrows **** off the front goblin severely, as an arrow to the chest often does. The one behind him is not angry so much as dying.

The goblins surge forth, the head one lobbing a javelin at Mezentius for 5 damage, and another shoots Tuvar. The rest fail to hit. Then the head goblin makes the mistake of getting too close.

Baddhra strides forth and bellows "FEAR ME, THE DARK ONE HAS RETURNED" in Goblin. The goblin boss suddenly loses his killing glare. "T-truly?"

"Kneel, unworthy wretches!"

"Yes, it is I. These humans are my mind slaves, compelled by the power of this blue goblin. Obey me and your reward will be great."

The goblins all kneel as one.

They don't dare make eye contact.

"I am on my way to your fortification, little ones. You will take me there, and then your commander will bow to me. You are all the vanguard of my glorious return. I have chosen thee!"

"Blood for the blood god! Dark for the Dark One!"

The goblins start cheering, but then see Mezentius and quickly kneel again.

And well they should.

"Let us away!" Buddhra bellows.

The goblin boss gets up and yells at the others. "Come on come on, wes gonna be rich, lets go!"

They quickly head off back east, cheering and making proclamations of death against humans and elves and dwarves and orcs and pretty much anything they can think of.

Valian smiles.

Baddhra says as an aside, "I doubt the hobgoblins will be so easily convinced."

"Naturally."

"Oh well," Tuvar shrugs. "Confidence is the game here."

"At the very least it will draw a crowd. Easy enough for Valian here to hole their boats while the whole camp is distracted."

Onwards they march.

Valian snaps out of thoughts about leading a hobgoblin army to the Alchemist's Guild and pays attention to Mezentius' suggestions.

The noble heroes and their goblin army stride forth. As they walk deeper into gobbo territory, felled trees become the norm, and crews of working goblins and hobgoblin overseers. At the cheering of the goblins they approach, clearly taken aback by the appearance of Baddhra and the goblins claims. One by one they begin to follow the procession, though not all seem entirely convinced.

Valian turns his suspicions onto the dissedents.

Valian can tell they won't act...yet. They seem to want to see what happens once this 'Dark One' arrives at the fort.

The procession proceeds.

At last they arrive. A pair of bugbears stand at the main gate, looking upon now a cheering horde of goblins and a bunch of hobgoblins in various states of excitement or curiosity. Valian and Mezentius can tell there are a lot more here than originally thought: perhaps this was the staging area after all?

"Get out of my way, bugbears." Baddhra says with a perfect inflection of annoyance and implied threat. They glare for a moment and then walk off.

"OPEN THE GATES FOR THE DARK ONE" the mob cries out repeatedly. After a minute they do so. Standing within is still more goblins, hobgoblins, and a few bugbears. A large hobgoblin in heavy armor and a blue nose stands at the center, a mix of awe and anger on his face.

A blue nose. Hardly as good as a whole blue goblin.

"I am Rasctlap, master here." he says rather plainly. Despite an army at his back he seems uncertain of his positino.

"Yes. Your master is here."

"I am the Dark One" Baddhra retorts. "*I* am master here. But you, mighty Rasctlap, you shall fight at my side."

Eyes dart back and forth. No one seems to know what will happen.

"Praise the Dark One!" Mezentius encourages the persuaded goblins to send up a loud cheer.

Valian likewise aids in the effort.

Mezentius' cry feels out of place.

Rasctlap glares at Mezentius and then his eyes widen. "Let our champions fight! To celebrate the coming of the Dark One!"

"That means you two, unfortunately" Baddhra comments to Valian and Mezentius. "Don't screw this up."

Valian leaps immediately at the hobgoblin champion, cutting into him.

Valian strikes with fury, and the goblinoids cheer with bloodlust.

Mezentius is close behind.

He charges in and levels his mighty spear against the goblin champion.

Mezentius knocks the wind out of the goblin, he's clearly not going to last much longer.

The hobgoblin champion slashes out with his greatsword. One swing is absurd, the other hits Mezentius for 14 damage.

The goblin can't hit for nuts

Mezentius tanks the hit with his mighty chest, and no blood is drawn despite a large bruise. "The Dark One walks with kings!" he laughs. "No blade bites Royalty!"

Valian weaves a dance of steel into their filthy goblin hides.

Another furious assault by Valian, which takes the goblin champion out of commission.

Mezentius wheels upon the hobgoblin champion.

Mezentius likewise wipes out the hobgoblin champion. Everyonen goes wild. Rasctlap claps, not terribly convincingly, but still cheers "Hail the Dark One!"

The destined Spear of Kings comes crashing down upon his brow.

The goblinoids are going nuts. Everyone is so excited. The army is ready to conquer The Dark One's foes.

WHAT WILL OUR HEROES DO WITH THIS? FIND OUT SOME OTHER TIME.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KCG's Awesome Log
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 am
Posts: 1247
01[19:12] <@Dungeon> WHERE WE LAST MET OUR HEROES, they were hanging out on an awful island full of goblinoids and bereft of captured outlaws. Valian attempts to provoke an answer from the inexplicably silent Mezentius.
[19:12] Valian is confident his attempts will succeed.
[19:14] If not on his own merits, then who knows what the gods might throw his way?
[19:14] The Greek gods, that is, since his own pantheon seems ever more Cromish by the day.
[19:17] Mezentius, lost in daydreams of his autocratic destiny, seems not to have heard whatever Valian said.
[19:18] "So let Grig run until his legs fall off?"
[19:18] "Hm? Oh, well."
[19:18] "Him and his cowards have a headstart."
[19:19] "From what the outlaws said, it sounded like their boat wasn't finished yet."
[19:19] "But going after them is throwing good **** after bad, as Bessie used to say."
[19:19] "And he was out then, he may not know that we know about it."
[19:19] "It might be worth checking the coast to see if they are still on shore."
[19:19] "If they are gone..." Mezentius shrugs his massive shoulders.
[19:19] "I will send a troop to bring me his head. Some other day."
[19:20] "No, I followed them to the boat launch."
[19:21] "They had about a four hour's start. Seemed pointless to try and head after them."
[19:21] Mezentius nods. "Then it will be a task for another day."
[19:23] "I am sure I know the hole this rat has bolted to. There is no hiding from a king's vengeance."
[19:23] "But for now..."
[19:26] "Let us seek the blessing of the gods. When this week is up, we will embark upon a dangerous time."
[19:27] "It would be well to make sacrifices and ensure divine favor."
[19:27] "By Lugh, you're right, Mezentius. Let us head back to the capital."
01[19:27] <@Dungeon> Tuvar, who has been standing here the whole time, clears his throat. "Alright, have a good sacrifice you two. Don't...make a mess."
[19:28] "Want us to pick you up something while we're out, Tuvar?"
01[19:28] <@Dungeon> "If you can snag an arcane focus that would be sublime."
[19:28] "I know just the neck to yank one off of."
[19:29] They head out.
01[19:29] <@Dungeon> AND SO OUR HEROES DEPART. HIKING FOR a few hours and then rowing some more, they make their way back to Perseus City. About ten minutes outside the city, our heroes make a Wisdom (perception) check.
[19:30] "Dunatis, guide my eyes," Valian beseaches.
01[19:31] <@Dungeon> Our heroes overhear the laughter of men. Rather sinister laughter. Off in the woods off the road.
[19:31] Valian prepares himself for an assault, whether it be of arrows or prepositions.
[19:32] Mezentius readies his spear. Sinister laughter is rarely a good sign.
[19:33] He allows Valian to take point, however, being the stealthier of the two, and hangs back slightly so that his armor will be less likely to give the pair away.
01[19:35] <@Dungeon> As they approach a clearing, they see three armored men surrounding a fourth, smaller man, who is tied up. A bag lays at their feet. "What do you think, boys? Should we have a little fun with this guy before we put him away? Or...should we just put him away for good?"
[19:36] "... or you could release me before Zeus realizes what you've done."
[19:36] Valian isn't sure himself, but he attempts to put an arrow through the loudmouth's back all the same.
[19:36] Mezentius barrels forwards. He needs to hear no more.
[19:37] The king has ample reason to be wrathful with bandits this day.
[19:39] ...and by arrow, Valian means 'Arrow', his longsword.
[19:39] "Know this day that Royalty is your slayer!" Mezentius roars.
[19:40] He leaps forward into battle against the nearest bandit.
[19:40] "Never mind. There He is now."
01[19:41] <@Dungeon> Mezentius' warning rings true. He slays one of the armored men with a single stab of his mighty shaft, while bashing a second, who seems far less affected.
[19:41] Unsheathing both Arrow and Flash, the longswords gleam in the light as they dance for death.
01[19:42] <@Dungeon> Valian in turn slays another man, though the center one seems far more formidable and takes the strike without much concern.
01[19:44] <@Dungeon> "Wha-I'll kill you all!" The middle man shakes with rage.
[19:44] Flinging the corpse of the lesser bandit from his spearpoint as he turns, Mezentius whirls upon this more formidable foe.
[19:45] "You'll need to go through me, bandito," Valian snarls.
01[19:45] <@Dungeon> Mezentius lands two solid blows on his foe, leaving him bleeding and gasping for air.
01[19:47] <@Dungeon> He manages to lash out at the reckless Mezentius, however, dealing 8 damage with his greatsword.
[19:47] Mezentius laughs as the blade bounces off his forehead. "When will you fools learn? I am Royalty! To cut at me is futility!"
[19:47] Zeno seems intent on freeing himself.
[19:49] Valian scythes his blades at the man's neck.
01[19:49] <@Dungeon> Valian seems to nearly behead the man, quite a tough man, but he does not go down yet.
[19:50] Mezentius reverses his spear and clobbers the foe.
01[19:50] <@Dungeon> Wholloping the man upsite the head, Mezentius may almost respect him for not yet dying.
[19:50] Almost.
[19:51] Filthy bandit.
[19:51] Knave.
[19:51] "This is the part where you realize you're going to die unless you throw down your weapons and beg forgiveness."
01[19:52] <@Dungeon> The knave halts slightly at Valian's words. Did they have an effect?
01[19:53] <@Dungeon> They did. He drops his greatsword. "Alright, you got me. This guy a friend of yours or something?"
[19:53] "They were sent by Zeus to rescuse me and bring you in for Judgement."
[19:54] "We are simply tired of bandits. Particularly ones with poor judgement."
[19:54] "Cut him loose, Valian."
[19:54] "if someone would please untie me, ill be happy to pronounce a verdict."
01[19:54] <@Dungeon> "I am no bandit. I am a knight of the realm."
[19:54] Clearly a judge of some sort, who needed to be recused. No doubt the case was too close to home to remain unbiased.
[19:55] "I didn't realize the Pegasus Knights took to robbing travelers."
[19:55] He stands and rubs slightly at his wrists. "Allright then Sir Knight. You are standing accused of kidnapping and attempted murder. As a dually Blessed cleric of Zeus I shall pronounce Judgement in His holy name. What say you?"
[19:55] Mezentius shrugs his mighty shoulders, not at all unused to the idea that bandit and knight of the realm might be one and the same when there is money to be made by robbery.
01[19:56] <@Dungeon> "No one was robbing anyone, this man" he points to Zeno " is a criminal. He has no rights. You have made a terrible mistake here."
[19:57] "What crimes do you accuse him of?"
[19:57] "I most certainly...! Ive never been so offended." Zeno protests
[19:57] "except for when you kidnapped me I mean. That was pretty offensive too."
[19:58] "Hm." The idea that he might have made a terrible mistake seems to find little purchase in Mezentius's mind, but fairness is fairness. "What then is your accusation against this man of Zeus?" he asks their captive.
01[19:58] <@Dungeon> "We were told he was trying to cause a riot in the temple. Denouncing good honest men. So we took him away."
01[19:58] <@Dungeon> "He was going to be executed anyways, to be quite honest"
[19:58] "I see just one way to settle this justly." Mezentius pronounces. "We must ask the gods to show by their blessings which side of the case they favor."
[19:59] "You weren't casting out the money changers, were you?" Valian asks the man.
[19:59] "Excuse me, Sir. I was merely speaking out against a wealthy member of the alchemists guild as I was directed by my God. There is no law against that. Since that is settled I will add Lying to the Clergy to your list of charges."
[19:59] "They crucified the last one who tried that."
[19:59] "Oh I'm sorry."
[19:59] "Did you say...the alchemist's guild?"
01[19:59] <@Dungeon> "Bah, you want to stir up riots against the Guildmeister you picked the wrong city to do it in."
[20:00] "I did. This cretin obvious was hired by them to take me out of the picture. The alchemists stranglehold on the world will end. One way or another."
[20:00] "So speak the gods."
[20:01] "The murderous, traitorous Guildmeister orchestrating a hobgoblin invasion of the Realm? Not to mention the assassin Guildmeister who seeks to murder Royalty?"
[20:01] "And who used black magic to bewitch the mind of my man Valian?"
[20:01] "I do believe that's the one he's talking about, Friend Mezentius."
[20:01] "This Guildmeister?"
[20:01] "Let's make sure though."
[20:01] "Sir Knight, was a new Guildmeister chosen recently?"
01[20:02] <@Dungeon> "What? No. It's been Bergos for over a decade now."
[20:02] Zeno takes this opportunity to open the bag, assuming that his equipment is therein.
01[20:02] <@Dungeon> All of Zeno's equipment is in the bag.
[20:03] "So you support Bergos, who has betrayed humanity to the hobgoblins?"
[20:03] "And who has attempted harm against the royal person of Basilious Mezentius here?"
[20:03] "Zeus has shown me that Bergos will be this duchy's downfall."
[20:03] "And who commands you to waylay priests on the road who speak out against the Guild?"
01[20:03] <@Dungeon> "I don't know anything about any hobgoblins. Or any royalty. But if you are, you should go speak to the Duke. We can get this all straightened out."
[20:04] "He kidnapped me actually. Took me right off the street. That one over there bit my arm right here. Does it look infected to you?"
01[20:04] <@Dungeon> "But if you have it in for the guild...well...you guys ought to skip town right now. I'll tell you that for sparing my life."
[20:05] "I havent passed judgement yet. You life weighs in balance."
[20:05] "Well. I see that I was mistaken. We need not bother Zeus Himself to arbitrate this case. Good man, pronounce judgment, and swiftly too, and this very hand will see your justice done."
[20:05] "I'm sorry, the guild is conspiring with hobgoblins against the Duchy, and your concern is that I don't have the proper friendly demeanor towards their corrupt organization?"
01[20:05] <@Dungeon> "Hey, hey, you can't kill me. I surrendered. This is entirely contrary to chivalry!"
[20:06] Valain stands on the blade of the greatsword. "I think you mistake your situation, Sir."
[20:06] "Verily. By the Power of Zeus Almighty I find you GUILTY of kidnapping, assault, lying to the clergy, and poor hygiene. I sentence you to death. Do your work executioner and be swift. I must seek out this Meister Bergas."
[20:07] Mezentius cuts the man down cleanly.
[20:07] Valian stoops to pick up the man's blade. He needs no explanation of what is coming.
01[20:07] <@Dungeon> The knight falls.
[20:08] The dirty work completed, Zeno bows to his saviors. "You executed the will of Zeus well. Thanks for that."
[20:08] "Eh, don't let it get around."
[20:09] "It is my duty to Zeus Nomos, the Divine Law. As Zeus upholds kingship, so kings must in return uphold the Divine Law."
[20:09] Mezentius wipes blood from his weapon.
[20:09] "What is your name, priest of Zeus?"
[20:10] "You speak to Mezentius of Karkhedon, and Valian the brave."
[20:10] "The man would have stood with a traitor to humanity. And he was concerned about *my* attitude," Valian mutters.
[20:10] "Then our paths have crossed for more reason than expected. Such is the way of Zeus. I am Zeno. I have been sent to rescue this duchy and spread the word of Him."
01[20:10] <@Dungeon> Thunder booms and clouds gather. It will rain soon.
[20:10] "Ahh. Lovely turn of weather. This is surely a sign that our destinys are linked."
[20:11] "So they took you from the city? We shall return you there, post haste."
[20:11] "So it is. The Thunderer and King of Clouds sends his approval."
[20:11] "That would be wonderful. I was just about the suggest the same thing."
[20:11] "And you are right. This Duchy is in dire need of rescue."
[20:11] "It all begins with the Guildmeister..."
[20:12] "Indeed. My visions show his greed will cause much suffering."
[20:12] They set off for the city while they exchange tales.
01[20:14] <@Dungeon> As they approach the city gates they spot the same somewhat bored looking guard at the gates they've all seen before. "Names?"
[20:15] "We are envoys of the Almighty Zeus, here on official business. Stand aside or fetch your lord as I will not be swayed." Zeno says calmly
[20:15] Mezentius itches for the day when he has a retinue again and can brush past this irritating functionary while his minions clear the streets in his path.
[20:15] "Mezentius of Karkhedon joins his voice to that of the truth-preacher."
01[20:16] <@Dungeon> The guard looks up from his desk. "Hey wait werent you just dragged out of here by Sir Carlomon a few minutes ago?"
[20:16] "We don't have time for this ********. There's a damned goblinoid invasion breathing down your necks and you want to play politics?"
[20:16] "Indeed. Make way."
[20:17] "I certainly was and I intend to address that crime forthwith. Were you an accomplice in his actions? If so I am happy to pass Judgement on you as well."
01[20:17] <@Dungeon> "Goblinoids? Well, if you have news about something like that you should go take it to Marshall. Move along."
01[20:17] <@Dungeon> He seems remarkably oblivious to all of your implied threats.
[20:17] Mezentius strides onward.
[20:18] Zeno gives him a stare, points to his own eyes with two fingers and then at the guards with two finger. Then turns and follows.
[20:20] Valian pauses and considers if the guard told them to go see Marshall, or the marshal.
01[20:20] <@Dungeon> Entering the city, they see everyone is moving about getting ready for the rain. No one particularly wants to be caught in it.
[20:21] "I find that the best way to find someone is to let them know where I am and wait. Lets go blow up an alchemist shop and get his attention." Zeno suggests.
[20:21] Mezentius shakes his head.
[20:22] "The Guildmeister's dark magic is potent. It can chill even my blood in my veins."
[20:22] "They will pay for their crimes the old fashioned way," Valian explains.
[20:22] "We must be subtle."
[20:22] Valian mentally crosses the purchase of siege equipment off his list.
[20:23] "Zeus is of course a master of subtlety. Perhaps He would prefer us to blow up the shop next to the alchemist shop and see if that works?"
[20:23] "I believe we should go to the Duke."
[20:23] "I suppose that will do for now."
[20:23] "What about Marshal Marshall?"
[20:24] Or his wife Martia for that matter.
[20:24] "Who?"
[20:25] Mezentius shakes his head. "We should go straight to the top. The goblin envoys will arrive soon."
[20:25] "If we have warned of the invasion beforehand, we will gain immense credibility when their appearance confirms our warnings."
[20:26] "And we will Pass Judgement on Bergas during the ensuring war?"
[20:26] "He'll never see that coming."
[20:26] Mezentius frowns. "That is the only thing that gives me pause. I am uncertain of how to deal with him."
[20:27] "Ive been doing this for awhile. The way it usually goes is I find someone that needs to be Judged, I go find him, Judge him, carry out sentence, and go find someone else. Zeus keeps me quite busy."
[20:27] "Ideally he simply is sidelined we use our newfound trust to amass enough power to have him judged. But..." The giant man shrugs. "he is cunning."
[20:27] *sidelined while
[20:28] "You seem to know what youre talking about. Clearly Zeus had you find me in order to ensure my success. I will allow you to take the lead."
[20:28] They head for the Duke's palace.
01[20:29] <@Dungeon> As they approach the palace gates, they are halted by soldiers. "Halt. What business do you have here, citizens?"
[20:30] Zeno stands back to watch Zeus' will play out.
[20:30] "I am no citizen of this city. I am Mezentius of Karkhedon, peer to the Duke, and the paths of my exile have brought me here to warn him of great danger."
[20:31] Mezentius produces something he has been holding in reserve till now - the scroll of pedigree that proves his royal lineage.
[20:31] His muscles twitching at this ********, Valian holds back to allow Mezentius' royal stature to gain them passage where his biting tongue will not.
01[20:33] <@Dungeon> The guard looks over the scroll. "Mezentius...yes. But be that as it may, I'm not certain if the Duke is available on such short notice. We had no word of your arrival, My Lord. But follow me, I think his son the Count may be able to see you."
[20:33] "Very well."
[20:33] Mezentius thinks upon what he knows of this son.
[20:34] Mezentius thinks that he should have spent more time paying attention to the names and traits of his overseas cousins far removed.
01[20:35] <@Dungeon> The guard leads you away from the main palace and towards a smaller but still rather fine house within the complex. He speaks to the guard at the door, and they let you in. The guard finally leads you to a palor. "Please wait here. Servants will bring you refreshments."
[20:35] All this is as it should be. Mezentius refreshes himself.
[20:36] "This is my first time in a palor," Zeno remarks off-hand.
[20:36] "It is...very pale."
[20:36] "A...whiter shade of it."
[20:36] "Better than a pallor."
[20:37] "Whats with the heavy tapestries? Is he trying to block the sunlight?"
[20:37] Valian takes a minute to share his information with Mezentius regarding the Count.
01[20:37] <@Dungeon> Thunder booms loudly.
01[20:37] <@Dungeon> Servents arrive with tea and cookies.
[20:37] "Praise Zeus." Zeno replies.
[20:38] "Fantastic. An energetic young man such as the Count will no doubt be eager to win renown and military glory repulsing an invasion."
[20:38] "he will surely know the best route to Bergas as well."
[20:40] "Skip the last fandango."
[20:40] "What?"
01[20:40] <@Dungeon> After a few minutes a rambunctious young man approaches. "Greetings, greetings all, I am Desiderius. Apologies for the pale parlor, we haven't painted yet."
[20:41] "On the Guildmeister we must now be discreet." Mezentius advises before the Count arrives. "Later, when we are trusted, will be the time to make accusations."
[20:41] "For now, focus on the goblinoid threat."
[20:41] Valian introduces them all.
[20:42] "We bring urgent warning, your...countness..."
[20:42] "wait theres a goblin threat?!" Zeno exclaims as it suddenly regosters in his head.
[20:42] "Count Desiderius." Mezentius rises to greet the Count formally. "Mezentius of Karkhedon thanks you for your hospitality, that which Zeus smiles upon above all."
01[20:42] <@Dungeon> "There's a goblin threat!?"
[20:42] "And yes. There is a goblin threat most dire."
[20:42] "Why didnt you guys say so? We have to do something!"
01[20:42] <@Dungeon> "Alright skip the chitchat boys this clearly isn't a social call."
[20:43] "Right. That won't help you when an owlbear eats you."
01[20:43] <@Dungeon> "Too true, too true. So what do you know of this goblin threat?"
[20:43] "Indeed not." Mezentius casts a goblin helm at the Count's feet with a clatter.
[20:44] The foul bandit had stolen the rest of the spoils, but not that of the goblin Mezentius slew on the way to the goblin camp.
[20:44] "How many?" Zeno asks.
[20:45] "There are five thousand gathered in secret in the desolate places of the Duchy. But they are merely the vanguard."
[20:46] "By Zeus..."
[20:46] "If they should but get a taste of victory... the story will go out and they will attract ten thousand more."
01[20:46] <@Dungeon> "Five thousand...that's preposterous! How could so many sneak in without our even noticing? We have guard towers throughout the duchy, especially in the east."
[20:47] Valian sighs.
[20:47] The treachery of the alchemist's guild has seriously undermined this duchy.
[20:48] "Perhaps your guard are in league? I had 3 of them snatch me out of the street today and take me into the woods."
[20:48] "I suspect with aid from the inside."
[20:48] "Goblins and Guards start with the same sound. Its likely theyre working togegther."
[20:49] "But in truth I cannot yet make accusations. The threat is more important. There will be time later to piece together how these creatures managed to elude the guards."
01[20:49] <@Dungeon> "A traitor in our midst...you understand why I'm hesitant to believe this...yet I see a goblin helm before my eyes."
01[20:51] <@Dungeon> "This could not come at a worse time. My father has invested heavily in his new capital...even most of the guards in the city are hired swords, financed by the guilds."
[20:52] "How much are you paying the guards?"
[20:52] Mezentius nods. "I suspect it is this very wealth that has drawn so many enemies seeking to seize it."
[20:52] "Wait, the guards are being paid by the guilds?"
[20:52] "All is not lost, your Countness."
01[20:53] <@Dungeon> "Yes. It is in their interest to keep the town secure, so many of the guards throughout the town are paid for by them, rather than us directly."
[20:53] "I have hunted goblins all my adult life. And indeed, for much of my childhood."
01[20:53] <@Dungeon> "The fighter's guild has made a lot of money as of late. Especially after that brouhauhau a few days ago."
[20:54] "Did an unarmed bandit come through these parts?" Valian asks concerned.
[20:54] "Thats crazier than the goblin army! Why would you let them pay the guards? Youre selling off your power base. Whats your leverage to keep the guilds in check?"
01[20:56] <@Dungeon> "You all talk too quickly. Espeically you" he looks at Zeno. "No, we had no bandits here lately. Sir Carlomon has done a good job of keeping crime down. If you are offering your expertise regarding the goblins I'm sure we are glad to have it."
[20:56] "Well, Count, you have seen the goblin helm with your own eyes. And I do not doubt that within the week you will see living evidence before your very eyes."
[20:57] "The goblins will likely seek to form nonaggression pacts with the surrounding humans, while they focus upon their most hated foes, the elves to the north."
[20:58] Mezentius nods. "Only when they have sated their racial hatred will they turn upon you to seize your wealth. You must use this time to call up the populace and enroll an army of citizens to defend the walls."
01[20:59] <@Dungeon> "Ah yes, the elves. But we haven't a moment to lose. We must speak to my father immediately. Come." He gets up to lead you to the real palace.
[20:59] "but, wait, if you dont control the guard force, then how are you running the city? By the faith of the guilds?"
[20:59] Zeno mumbles as he follows behind
[21:00] Mezentius proceeds with confidence, at home in these surroundings.
01[21:00] <@Dungeon> "We still have our own knights...Zeno, was it? And our own soldiers. The guild guards merely keep the peace in the districts."
[21:01] "ah, so we need to talk to your dad about using the knights to defend the city?"
01[21:01] <@Dungeon> You arrive at the palace and quickly make your way to the throne room. Duke Agamennon is there, with his wife Duchess Hildegarde. Marshal Marshall is also there, and of course Chancellor Amon. Some scary looking half-orc guards stand at the ready.
[21:02] Doubtless the servants will present Mezentius formally according to his rank.
01[21:02] <@Dungeon> "Father, these men have important news. No time for formalities."
[21:02] An imminent goblin invasion would be no excuse to... well then.
01[21:03] <@Dungeon> "Desiderius, you will someday find that there is always time for formalities. Now introduce our guests. Properly."
01[21:03] <@Dungeon> "Sigh. I have here Mezentius of Khar..Khareth? Valian Hawksword. And Zeno, priest of Zeus."
01[21:04] <@Dungeon> Agamennon shakes his head sadly. "You have been taught better than this, my son. How do you expect to rule with such sloppy manners?"
[21:04] That is better. Some things are too important to drop just because of an impending apocalypse. "Of Karkhedon, across the seas, Duke Agamemnon. My forebears were your kin, till they chose the road less traveled by, and sailed to win kingdoms in the hot South."
01[21:05] <@Dungeon> "Ah, yes. Glorious conquests, those. What brings thee to my humble palace, Mezentius of Karkhedon?"
[21:05] And now comes the time to tell the father the tale that they told the son. Mezentius does so.
[21:06] Valian provides his goblin insights at appropriate intervals.
[21:06] Appropriate to him. Hopefully to Mezentius.
01[21:06] <@Dungeon> "Well...that is quite the news. But you say they are gathering to attack the north? So we are not actually being threatened as of yet."
01[21:07] <@Dungeon> "And how do you know all of this? These goblins' plans."
[21:07] "It depends, Duke Agamemnon. As the brave Valian said, they will likely seek a temporary truce. Only if they can gain it will they feel that they can ignore this city and turn against the elves."
[21:08] "I am sure they believe that they can defeat the elves too quickly for you to gather forces. But if you have a head start, before their envoys arrive..."
[21:08] "The blessings of Zeus have carried many tales to my ears. It was an eagle of Zeus that aided me in spotting many of the roving goblin bands."
[21:08] "If however, they do not gain a truce, they will view this duchy as the more vulnerable and loot rich target."
[21:09] "For they were hidden from the eyes of men, but not from the keen sight of the bird of kings. Has the tale not come to the North, of how my forefathers won the blessing to speak with Zeus's own eagles?"
[21:09] "The elves are isolationists, and would allow the duchy to fall so long as goblin boots did not trespass upon their forests."
01[21:09] <@Dungeon> "Chancellor, retrieve our guest. I'm sure he would have something to add to this." The chancellor quickly slips out.
01[21:11] <@Dungeon> The chancellor returns quickly enough, and trailing behind him is a most familiar figure. Someone Valian, Mezentius, and even Zeno know all too well.
01[21:11] <@Dungeon> The Guildmeister spares them the barest glance before walking past them up to the throne.
01[21:12] <@Dungeon> "Bergos, these men come with news of a goblin invasion, one that seems to have slipped past our watch towers."
01[21:13] <@Dungeon> "A goblin invasion? Truly? How...unexpected." The Guildmeister seems shocked.
[21:14] No doubt the guildmaster will undermine their warning. After all, he knows the hobgoblins are not coming with a truce offering.
[21:14] Now seems the appropriately dramatic moment to bring forth the goblin helm.
[21:14] Mezentius does so, casting it down once again with a dramatic clatter.
[21:14] And as his noble father no doubt once said, it's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
[21:15] (But how does he do so? Dramatically!)
01[21:15] <@Dungeon> "Ah, yes, a goblin helm. That certainly seals the deal. But why tell me about this, My Lord?"
[21:15] Valian wonders that himself. After all, they've brought no accusation against the Meister.
[21:16] Zeno murmers a silent prayer.
01[21:16] <@Dungeon> "Lord Mezentius and his companions insist on making a non-aggression pact with the goblins. It seems fortuitous that we were just discussing...well, you know."
[21:17] Mezentius raises an eyebrow.
[21:17] "Ah, your graceness, not insisting. Strongly suggesting."
01[21:17] <@Dungeon> "Ah, yes...that. Is that what you're thinking of? We certainly could use that instead of making a pact. If you do in fact wish to...make that transaction."
01[21:17] <@Dungeon> Desiderius is clearly not happy about any of this talk.
[21:19] "Come now, speak plainly. None of this shadowspeak will help you when you're being devoured, by an owlbear, down by the river."
01[21:19] <@Dungeon> "Yes yes, I think we should make preparations for...that. In the mean time let's russle up as many able-bodied men as we can. We may not be going to war, but we should make a show of being ready."
01[21:20] <@Dungeon> "Oh yes, my apologies. State secrets. Mezentius certainly understands. The Hellenes had many wondrous secrets in their time."
[21:21] Mezentius nods regally, but his eyes flick to Valian and Zeno.
[21:21] They must learn this secret of the Guildmeister's.
[21:21] Valian suspects it is tattooed on the meister's liver.
[21:21] He will express this suspicion to Mezentius at the proper time.
01[21:22] <@Dungeon> "In the meantime, Mighty Mezentius, you and your servants are welcome to stay in the Count's guestquarters for as long as you need. We may have need of your experience on these matters for our war council."
[21:23] "Zeus will always smile upon the man who upholds sacred hospitality." Mezentius nods his acceptance.
01[21:23] <@Dungeon> "Desiderius?" That's the cue to leave. Desiderius leads you back to his house.
01[21:24] <@Dungeon> He sighs. "Something about that Guildmeister rubs me the wrong way."
[21:24] "Your Countness, you seem upset."
[21:24] "What might that be?"
[21:24] "Do you know where he is going right now?"
[21:25] "He does seem... oddly disagreeable." Mezentius muses. "I admit I have been taken with a dislike of him, though I cannot say why."
01[21:25] <@Dungeon> "Oh, it's nothing. This deal he is making. I'm sure it'll be very useful for our Duchy...but at such a price. I don't know if it is worth it."
01[21:25] <@Dungeon> "Father seems far too eager to spend the money his father earned."
[21:25] "Without seeking to learn the secret itself... is the price of it so high?"
01[21:26] <@Dungeon> "It'll certainly make the alchemist's guild richer. Richer than all the others, no doubt. Yet such are the times. Used to be Kings would ride into battle with their men at arms. Now...now we do things like this."
[21:27] "I warn you, by Word of His Holy Zeus, your association with the Guildmeister will bring about the downfall of your city. The goblins present a closer threat, however, and so I will Judge him after the security of innocents is assured."
[21:27] "Hmph. I will make no secret of it, Count, I am wholly with you. I prefer the ancient traditions of kingship to trusting in gold alone as savior."
01[21:28] <@Dungeon> "Priest, you may be right. But this is out of my hands. I am not the Duke. But kindly pray for my family."
[21:28] "Well, not gold alone. Gold... and faith in the Guildmeister."
[21:29] "I will apply prayer judiciously as I persue Zeus' Will."
01[21:29] <@Dungeon> "I've probably said far too much. Come, you must be weary. My servants will show you to your suite."
[21:29] Valian follows.
[21:29] He is a bit weary. It's been a long few days.
01[21:29] <@Dungeon> Desiderius takes you back inside and leaves you to the care of his staff.
01[21:30] <@Dungeon> They provide fresh linens and more tea and offer to draw each of you a hot bath.
[21:31] Valian enjoys the luxury and waits for their next move.
[21:31] Zeno sullenly enjoys the luxeries.
[21:32] Mezentius is all energy. He sends a servant running to the slave market to report on what is for sale.
[21:32] "What is our next move?" Zeno asks, while consuming the complimentary mints on the bed.
[21:32] He has been far too long without a retinue of his own, and is flush with coin.
[21:32] "I feel somewhat in the dark here."
01[21:32] <@Dungeon> "Slavery is outlawed in this land, milord."
[21:32] Mezentius blinks in shock.
[21:32] "By Zeus. I did not know there was such a land."
01[21:33] <@Dungeon> "Or, more specifically milord, no slaves are permitted to dwell here. When the colony was founded the Duke declared it a land of free men."
[21:33] "Customs change, but men for hire are a cosntant. Head for a tavern or some other place of congregation where those seeking gainful employment gather."
[21:34] "What about girls?" Zeno asks, crumbs of cake falling from his mouth.
[21:34] "I didn't think the basilious wanted a prostitute...?" Valian gazes questioningly at the man.
01[21:35] <@Dungeon> "As you wish. I will find you some men for hire...and girls? I will fetch a harem girl."
[21:35] "Well, perhaps it is for the best. 'As many slaves, so many enemies.' as the ancients said."
[21:35] "None for me, just exploring the options."
[21:35] "None for me, indeed, but fetch the good Zeno whatever he desires."
01[21:35] <@Dungeon> "No harem girl then?"
[21:35] "Pass."
[21:35] "A woman would only dull my wits and distract my thoughts at this time of great momentousness."
01[21:36] <@Dungeon> The servant leaves at once.
[21:36] "Just men."
[21:36] "Aphrodites followers have said that intercourse can clear ones mind before a big decision."
[21:37] "Aprhodite may shower her charms where she will, but she is no mistress of war. It is to Zeus and his warlike daughter that we must turn our thoughts." Mezentius waits till the "Well. Valian, Zeno, we are half winning, but half losing."
01[21:37] <@Dungeon> The servent comes backs a few minutes later. "A thousand pardons, milord, but I just remembered I can't bring commoners into the palace, not even at a guest's request."
[21:38] "Well, by all the gods, man, make me a list, at least."
[21:38] Mezentius scowls darkly.
01[21:38] <@Dungeon> The servant leaves at once.
[21:38] "I hope he doesn't put his name on it."
[21:39] "What are we doing? This doesnt feel like preventing a goblin invasion." Zeno asks.
[21:39] "Hah. That would be typical. But yes. Half winning, but half losing. Our warning is heeded, and the Duchy may yet survive for it. But the Guildmeister, curse him, stands to benefit!"
[21:41] "What would Pallas Athena advise clever Odysseus, in a situation like this..." Mezentius muses.
[21:42] "I know not, but silver handed Nuada would turn his evil plan back upon him."
[21:42] "She would say, 'Who is that behind the tapestry?'" Zeno replies.
01[21:42] <@Dungeon> Lidda walks out from behind the tapestry.
01[21:43] <@Dungeon> She waves at Valian coyly.
01[21:43] <@Dungeon> "Hey."
[21:43] "Hey." Zeno answers.
[21:44] "Lidda! Look out, they don't allow commoners in here!"
[21:44] "You have good eyes, Zeno priest of Zeus."
[21:44] "Other than me. And Zeno."
[21:44] "And that fiendish meister."
[21:44] "How have you been?"
[21:44] "I must be able to see where Zeus' will demands I go."
01[21:44] <@Dungeon> "I've been good. I got a new job recently. Want to hear about it?"
[21:45] "I do!"
01[21:45] <@Dungeon> "So I was hired to kill three guys while they slept. It was going to be very easy."
[21:46] Mezentius raises an eyebrow.
01[21:47] <@Dungeon> "But then I saw who two of those guys were. Now the third guy, never saw him before. But maybe he's friends with the other two. And they might not like that. So I thought, why kill them?"
[21:47] "But they spotted you."
01[21:47] <@Dungeon> "I decided to let myself be spotted."
[21:47] "Why indeed?"
01[21:48] <@Dungeon> She saunters over to Valian. "So I started thinking, maybe they got a better offer for me. Something...so I don't go home empty handed?"
01[21:49] <@Dungeon> "Cuz it just so happens I'm the deadliest ***** in this godsdamned duchy, and if some guys wanted someone dead, especially if he wanted them dead...well I'd be the ***** to see it done."
01[21:50] <@Dungeon> "So you think these guys might see things my way?"
[21:50] "I am happy to see any way you'd like me to, Lidda."
01[21:51] <@Dungeon> "Oh you're cute. I like you, Valian. You know why?" She motions for you to bend down so she can whisper in your ear.
[21:52] Valian wonders if he's going to get a dagger through it or yelled at, but he bends down.
[21:52] He then turns a whiter shade of pale.
[21:53] He subtly sniffs himself but doesn't doubt the lovely rogue.
[21:53] Mezentius's mind fills with questions.
01[21:55] <@Dungeon> "So here is my dilemma: I always get the job done. If I cancelled, it would ruin my reputation. And I got a family to keep fed. Papa needs his sweet rolls. So the only way I can get out of this is if my contractor...never tells anyone I renged."
[21:56] "Which is interesting, because I'm quite game for never letting him tell anything."
[21:56] Questions that kingly self-discipline firmly suppresses. "I do not doubt, fair Lidda, that we could come to see things your way."
01[21:58] <@Dungeon> Her voice drops to a chilling whisper. "So, what is a Guildmeister's heart worth to you?"
[21:59] "We dont need his heart. We just need you to bring him to me for trial."
[21:59] Mezentius shakes his head. They need his heart.
[21:59] Cut out of his chest in glorious, kingly revenge.
01[21:59] <@Dungeon> Lidda looks at Zeno and laughs. "You're funny, for a dumb stupid ****. He'll kill you where you stand. Have you heard of wizards?"
[22:01] "I am here by the Authority of His Holiness Zeus. I must Judge Bergas for his crimes. His employment is besides the fact."
[22:02] "Good Zeno, even Zeus himself knows the time for justice and the time for violence. For he did not judge and punish Sisyphus until after he had cast him down to Hades."
[22:02] "The Guildmeister is such a one. Flush with dark magics."
01[22:02] <@Dungeon> Lidda sighs. "Are we doing this or not? Seriously."
[22:03] "But let him speak a word in court and all who may stand there, unless they be blessed with the holy fortitude of Kings, shall die in an instant."
01[22:04] <@Dungeon> "You guys have ten seconds to make me an offer worth taking."
[22:04] "What's the plan, Lidda? Take our dead bodies to him and wack him?"
[22:04] "Then here is mine."
[22:05] "For my own part I offer you a choice of payments. First, you may claim all the coin that I call mine." Mezentius has honestly not bothered to keep track of such a trivial thing as how much money he has. "Or second... three labors. Three times you may call upon me, and I shall be unstinting in answering."
[22:05] "Give you a full share of everything we steal from the Alchemist's Guild on the way out? Or after we remove him from office, we aid you or your family in putting their preferred candidate in there?"
01[22:06] <@Dungeon> "And how much do you have?"
[22:06] "And so you become controllers of the Thieves' Assassins' and Alchemists' guild?"
[22:06] Mezentius shrugs.
[22:06] He has honestly not kept track.
[22:06] He gestures to a bulging coin purse tossed casually aside as he entered the room earlier.
[22:07] "I've got almost two hundred, if gold's your preference."
01[22:07] <@Dungeon> "If you wanna help Papa with his business that's between you and him. This right here? This is us. 300 gold for me to kill him myself. 150 if you just want me to set him up."
01[22:07] <@Dungeon> "Or 200, I'll take it."
[22:07] "Then two hundred to set him up."
01[22:08] <@Dungeon> "Deal. You know you're lucky he doesn't know you're friends with Papa or this would not have gone down so well."
01[22:08] <@Dungeon> "Alright, here's what is going to happen. You're all going to lie down in bed. I'm going to make you look dead. Tonight he's going to come in here to see for himself, and then you spring on him as best as you know how."
[22:09] "You want us to lay here in bed until tomorrow night?"
[22:09] "Tonight, Zeno."
[22:09] "And then we four together shall slay him?" Mezentius makes sure he is clear on the plan.
[22:10] And that all are agreed - including their perhaps doubtful priest?
01[22:10] <@Dungeon> "I'll give you ONE strike, but just because you're already paying me extra."
01[22:10] <@Dungeon> "Papa couldn't handle it if something happened to me."
[22:11] Valian nods, agreeably. It seems unlikely Lidda will allow her reputation to be sullied so far as to allow the Meister the opportunity to escape.
01[22:17] <@Dungeon> After you lie down, Lidda begins applying makeup to your necks. Starting with Zeno, she makes a very convincing looking slash mark. Then she pulls the blanket up to your neck and fluffs it up, putting more makeup to look like bleeding.
01[22:18] <@Dungeon> She then does the same to Mezentius. She is forced to use a lot of makeup on his beard.
01[22:19] <@Dungeon> Then finally Valian.
[22:19] It is a mighty beard.
01[22:19] <@Dungeon> "Now, don't move until he's in and has turned his back on you."
[22:19] Reminiscent of another beard, similarly mighty, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
01[22:20] <@Dungeon> You all manage to not fall asleep in your comfy comfy beds
01[22:21] <@Dungeon> Three hours later, the door creeks open, and in walks Lidda with the Guildmeister.
01[22:21] <@Dungeon> "I always get the job done."
01[22:22] <@Dungeon> He looks over at you three, and shrugs. "Right. Well we should leave immediately then." The Guildmeister turns back around.
[22:24] And that's when they get you.
01[22:24] <@Dungeon> Lidda smiles.
[22:25] Flash and Arrow scissor towards Bergos' neck.
01[22:25] <@Dungeon> The Guildmeister is barely knicked. The jig is up!
[22:25] Mezentius leaps from his bed, seizes his spear, and moves to make Guildmeister shishkabob. "In the name of all the gods, Guildmeister, tonight you pay for all your innumerable treacheries and countless vile plots!"
01[22:26] <@Dungeon> Mezentius, perhaps driven by his great words, brutally wounds the Guildmeister.
[22:27] Zeno leaps to his feet atop the bed. He rolls back his right sleeve and snaps his fingers. Silence descends on the room.
01[22:27] <@Dungeon> The Guildmeister screams at you. You assume.
01[22:27] <@Dungeon> Hard to tell.
[22:28] "Hello Darkness, my old friend," Valian whispers unheard in the quiet.
01[22:30] <@Dungeon> As the guildmeister readies an all-out assault on your asses, he suddenly slumps over and falls flat on his face. Then you see only Lidda, with a knife in hand.
[22:31] "Guilty," Zeno says flatly.
01[22:32] <@Dungeon> Lidda attempts to speak, but then notices no sounds are forming. Puzzled, she looks at Valian.
[22:32] He wipes the blood from his sword off on his cheek.
[22:32] His look leaves little to be deciphered.
01[22:33] <@Dungeon> She grins, but then she puts out her palm. Her look also leaves little to be deciphered.
[22:34] "Who knows you brought him here?" Zeno asks.
[22:34] Valian is a believer in consent. He lets her smell the blood anyways.
[22:35] "WHO KNOWS YOU BROUGHT HIM HERE?" Zeno asks again.
[22:35] "..." Mezentius looks at Zeno. "..., ..." He jerks his head towards the door and picks up the body. He leaves the purse.
[22:35] "Oh..." He snaps a finger and dispells the silence.
[22:36] "So uh... who knows you brought him here?"
[22:36] Valian tosses her his purse of 195 gp.
01[22:37] <@Dungeon> She helfts it out the window. "Good luck getting rid of the body boys. I'll see you around. Come visit Papa!"
01[22:37] <@Dungeon> And she's gone.
[22:38] "I was just going to throw it over the palace wall." Mezentius comments.
[22:38] "A sound plan."
[22:38] "I suppose we should seize any devices of fantastical power first, in case they can be used for the cause of light and justice."
[22:38] "I thank you for you help serving the Will of Zeus. I shall keep you both in my prayers." Zeno bows.
[22:38] Mezentius does so.
[22:38] The Guildmeister is quite naked by the time Valian finishes searching him.
[22:39] He carves 'random mugging' into the man's chest with Arrow.
[22:40] Mezentius nods his approval. This should settle any questions the city watch have about a mysterious body appearing in an alley.
01[22:40] <@Dungeon> Valian and friends recover the following things from the body: one set of fancy clothes (damage and bloody), 15 gold pieces and 10 silver pieces, an amulet of potentially vast magical powers, a very fancy ring with an emerald, and a mysterious vial.
[22:40] He then does as he intended and pitches the corpse over the walls.
01[22:42] <@Dungeon> As Mezentius drags the body out with Valian's help, they manage to toss it over the wall after a few attempts. They then notice about a half dozen guards staring dumbfoundedly at them.
[22:42] "The muggers went that way." Valian points.
[22:43] "Once you catch them, see me at the bar. Drinks on me."
[22:44] "One of them had a hat on!" Zeno helps.
[22:45] Valian takes his hat off.
01[22:45] <@Dungeon> The guards sort of look at one another. "You're gonna bribe us, right?"
[22:45] "Thanks to our quick work, the presence of unclean death will not pollute the holy pomerium." Mezentius adds.
[22:45] "Yes, that seems reasonable."
[22:45] "Bribe? Never. Pay good hard working men their worth? Absolutely."
[22:46] "You should certainly have a reward for chasing down the vile muggers."
01[22:46] <@Dungeon> They wait expectingly.
[22:46] Mezentius distributes coin.
[22:46] Valian hands them each a gold coin.
[22:46] He is kingly in his generosity, adding another nine to each to make ten apiece.
01[22:47] <@Dungeon> After receiving all ten gold coins, they each look at Zeno to see what he's going to pay them.
[22:47] "He is my man, my credit covers both."
[22:48] "What?" Zeno says.
[22:48] Perhaps that explains why Mezentius paid so much.
01[22:48] <@Dungeon> The guy who spoke up sighs. "Alright fine. Guards, don't let those bandits get away." He says it with absolutely no conviction. They slowly walk away.
[22:49] "Muggers," Valian corrects helpfully.
[22:49] "Random ones at that."
[22:50] Mezentius watches them leave.
[22:50] "Brave Valian, pious Zeno,"
[22:51] When the guards have gone, Valian looks around. "Perhaps we should not test our luck, and spend the night elsewhere. Like Sunport."
[22:51] Zeno yawns. "Where were we going again?"
[22:52] "A just and good night's work. Let us celebrate our victory with the gifts of holy Dionysus."
01[22:54] <@Dungeon> AND SO OUR GLORIOUS HEROES LEAVE PERSEUS CITY. What ventures await them in the coming days? Will the guards keep their damned mouths shut? Will Lidda figure out she's down five gold? What will the Royal Family make of the dead Guildmeister? And what other tricks does the Guild have up its sleeve? Find out some other time!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KCG's Awesome Log
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 am
Posts: 1247
01[19:15] <@DungeonMaster> As Valian is about to shove off for Evil Hobgoblin Island, his sharp human sight suddenly takes note of something happening very close by. A young man has found himself far too close to a large green bear.
[19:18] "Ah, damn it Verdursus," Valian mutters. The alchemical bear is about to eat another human.
[19:18] "Back away slowly," he advises. "He won't hurt you." A filthy lie.
[19:20] "What ursine devilment is this? Art thou an agent of the gods sent to test my worthiness, or a vessel of Zeus' wrath upon me?" Whether he's heard Valian's advice, or because it's just common sense, he does indeed back slowly away from the bear, a hand raised towards it.
[19:20] "He's just a big teddy bear," Valian reassures the young man with a smile on his face that doesn't slip at all when the man starts talking like a theater actor.
[19:21] He sends the bear some good vibrations.
03[19:21] * Mezentius ([email protected]) has joined #KCGsGame2
01[19:22] <@DungeonMaster> Valian senses his attempt did not work, and the bear roars!
01[19:25] <@DungeonMaster> The bear lunges forward at Lysander, biting and clawing at him, dealing 8 piercing damage!
[19:26] "Mortal peril it shall be then!"
[19:29] "Ye unnatural beast, taste the fury of the gods, that their torment of me may not yet end!" The strange man points a finger of his free hand at the bear, and a thin ray of green fire leaps at the beast.
[19:33] Valian leaps at the beast, drawing his blades Flash and Arrow, while Lobos moves to flank.
01[19:36] <@DungeonMaster> The bear is wounded viciously, yet even before your eyes the blade wounds seem to begin to close.
01[19:36] <@DungeonMaster> He strikes again at the two newcomers
01[19:38] <@DungeonMaster> Lobos is badly mauled, but is not down yet.
[19:39] "Mother Artio! Call off your child!" Val yells out.
[19:39] "Leave the good man's dog alone, I am the target of thy wrath!" He throws out another beam of green fire, and then is shrouded in mist, that whisks him away from the grasping claws. "Here I am, come for me, ursine fury!"
01[19:41] <@DungeonMaster> Though the arcane onslaught is brutal, the bear does not yet fall. It is visibly weakened though.
[19:42] Valian attempts to knock the poor monster out.
01[19:43] <@DungeonMaster> Valian's onslaught is no less spectacular than Lysander's, and the beast finally goes down.
[19:43] "Verdursus, Nebin's Legacy," Valian pronounces grimly over the fallen monster. "I am sorry you were accosted."
[19:44] "But not too sorry. If you commonly go around provoking wildlife, you're going to end up as lunch. And then ****."
[19:44] He kneels, tending to Lobos.
01[19:44] <@DungeonMaster> Lobos wines pathetically.
[19:44] "Words of wisdom, from one who seems to know the woods, I think. Yes, it was fortunate for me that you came along when you did, stranger."
[19:45] "But I swear by the Styx, I provoked the creature not, but was merely making my way to the town when he set upon me."
[19:45] "Yeah, don't know how familiar you are with bears. They don't usually come in green."
[19:46] "This one is the byproduct slash victim of a vile arcanist by the name of Nebin."
[19:46] "Yes, I thought not... tis why I took the beast for an agent of the gods' displeasure. Truly, a sad thing that a simple animal would be so warped; what became of the fel mage that did the crime?"
[19:46] "He was in league with the Alchemist's Guild and their foul treachery. I stuffed him in a vat of acid."
01[19:48] <@DungeonMaster> Valian and Lysander both notice that even as they speak the wounds on the bear continue to close at a visible speed.
[19:48] Lysander walks over to inspect the downed bear, and shake his rescuer's hand. "The Alchemist's Guild! Truly he was most perfidious indeed, to keep such low company, and the fate you gave him worthy of the Lord of the Underworld himself in its poetic justice. I am Lysander, sometimes called the Godfinger, for a variety of reasons, one of which you just saw."
[19:49] "A woman thinks highly of your digits."
[19:49] Valian inspects the man's nails himself, not seeing the big deal.
[19:50] "But anyways, like I said, Verdursus is a quick healer. We should be on our way. We can talk later, unless you are partial to that lunch I mentioned."
[19:50] "Ha, a jest. But nay, tis this, among others." He flashes the green fire into the air. "Yes... yes, let us leave him be then."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KCG's Awesome Log
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:51 am
Posts: 1247
01[19:07] <@DungeonMaster> WHEN WE LAST MET OUR HEROES, they had split up! Because they hate each other and are only using one another for their own gain! Or is that not the case! In either way, Valian has just found a new companion in Lobos, Mezentius has left town fabulously, and Zeno is doing something else!
[19:09] After going about his business fearlessly and openly and generally much as a completely guiltless individual would, the mighty Mezentius waits outside town for the pious Zeno to join him before setting off to reunite with valiant Valian.
03[19:09] * Kain is now known as Valian
[19:10] Zeno makes his way into town, seeking the loal temple or town square from which to share the message of Zeus with the masses.
[19:12] While he waits Mezentius falls to thinking.
[19:13] "and so! The Great Zeus offers His blessings unto those of you willing to use His light to guide you path through life!" he teaches.
01[19:13] <@DungeonMaster> A some people turn to look at what is going on.
[19:14] "Verily! Only the mightiest God can rule from on high! Behold the might of the sun! Only Zeus' clouds protect us from its scorching rays."
[19:15] "Just as only the faithful of Zeus can protect society from the corruption of man."
02[19:15] * Mezentius ([email protected]) Quit (Ping timeout: 186 seconds)
[19:17] "Who among us has not felt the sting in their wallets from corruption? Only Zeus can deliver justice for the wrongs done to us. Come to me, Faithful Ones, and share your testimonies with me and I will endeavor to provide blessings."
01[19:17] <@DungeonMaster> The crowd has grown considerably
03[19:17] * Mezentius ([email protected]) has joined #KCGsGame
01[19:18] <@DungeonMaster> Finally one old man perks up. "Oy, the Duke banished me son he did. Didn't do nothing but be a good boy, and he gets outlawed!"
[19:20] "The Duke rules through the diminished bloodline of his ancestors. Fair Judgement can only be delivered by the Word of His Holiness. Your son's banishment was not the will of Zeus, Friend."
[19:22] "This is but one example of Man attempting to replace the Gods." he addresses the crowd. "Who else among you have been wronged by a Society that is founded in deeds and not in Faith?"
01[19:23] <@DungeonMaster> "Me too, my son was banished too!" a woman cries out
[19:23] "I myself fell victim to the corruption of the guards. While they carried me away I could hear the coins of the Guild's jingling in their pockets. The Blessings of Zeus Saved me, my friends!"
[19:23] Mezentius contemplates some more. If the vile Guildmeister has truly found a way to slip free of the bonds of Hades, then no doubt his foul evil is stinking up the Capital and casting a palpable pall over the entire city. There will doubtless be a battle should the party of heroes return to that city.
[19:25] "It has been said " Zeno continues, "that the Zeus speaks to man through the will of his people."
[19:28] But this time they will not have surprise on their side. And the fiend's black sorcery is potent indeed. There seems only one thing to do.
[19:28] "I have had a vision, my friends. Zeus' lightning came to me in a dream." Zeno speaks prophetically, "He has called upon the land to bring a blight to the duchy. Only faith in The Lord of the Sky will offer protection from the coming scourge."
[19:28] Recruit a fellow hero willing to face up to the darkest, most vile force known to mankind.
[19:30] "I myself spoke to the Duke and his Count regarding this threat and in their ignorance of His Will my words fell on deaf ears. The guilds control this society my friends, not the descedants of Prince Offa, Blessed by Zeus was he."
01[19:31] <@DungeonMaster> "What do we do!?" someone cries out
[19:32] "We must be Faithful that Zeus will send us a hero. Someone who will go into the darkness and return your banished loved ones. I see a chariot of fire charging into the gates of the castle and those who have been wronged atop it bringing forth justice!"
01[19:33] <@DungeonMaster> The crowd cheers.
[19:33] "I hear Zeus' Mighty Thunder ringing from the battlements as He brings forth vengence for the weak!"
01[19:33] <@DungeonMaster> The crowd cheers again.
01[19:34] <@DungeonMaster> The town watch has gathered, but they've made no move against you or anyone yet.
[19:34] "I smell the blood of a mighty king, shed for those who would stay True to the leadings of His Word."
01[19:35] <@DungeonMaster> the crowd cheers again
[19:35] "Let us pray." Zeno kneels and prays over his "congregation."
[19:36] Animated by his insight, Mezentius rises from his thinker's seat and makes his way back into town, intent on sharing it with Zeno without delay.
[19:37] "Who among you wish to recieve His Blessing this day?" Zeno asks. "Please come forward to be annointed."
01[19:37] <@DungeonMaster> the crowd surges forth. Everyone is holding out their hands to you.
01[19:38] <@DungeonMaster> Mezentius beholds Zeno mobbed by a cheering crowd of villagers.
[19:38] "Pious Zeno!" Mezentius cries, striding through the crowd. "A hero is needed!"
01[19:39] <@DungeonMaster> "A hero! A hero!" the crowd cheers.
[19:39] Zeno stands above the crowd. "Indeed Faithful one. A hero will be sent by Zeus to redeem the land. Will it be you?" Zeno points to a random person.
[19:39] "Will it be you?" he asks another.
01[19:40] <@DungeonMaster> "I will fight for Zeus!" the villager cries.
01[19:40] <@DungeonMaster> This seems to get the guards' attention. They move in.
[19:40] "or you?" he points to a third.
[19:41] "This is not the time to fight, my friends. I have not come here today to raise an army, but to offer peace. Be faithful that your time to come to the aid of Perseus City is nigh!"
[19:42] "Go to your homes and ponder my teachings this day. When I return I will impart another prophecy. Stay faithful and true to His word."
01[19:42] <@DungeonMaster> As you finish blessing the crowd they slowly disperse back to their ordinary lives. The guards carefully watch until Zeno and Mezentius stand alone.
[19:43] "We should see to our friend." Zeno suggests, eyeing the guards from the corner of an eye.
[19:43] "So we should." Mezentius replies, also eyeing the guards, boldly and openly.
[19:44] Zeno leads the MIghty Bearded King to the town gate, keeping a close eye on the guards.
[19:44] "But first, tell me, Guardsmen, when the time comes to make your choice, will you choose to hold faith with Zeus and justice, or with black sorcery out of Hades?"
[19:44] "Think upon it!" he challenges as he turns to leave with Zeno.
[19:45] "Will you choose to line your pockets or will you pay homage to the Mighty Power of Zeus?" Zeno assists
01[19:45] <@DungeonMaster> "Yeah you better get out of here, bushy beard!" one of the guards cries out as you depart.
01[19:46] <@DungeonMaster> However they do not make any further movement.
[19:46] "Truely Zeus tests us with their mockery." Zeno mutters to Mez as they walk.
[19:47] "It is a test I am equal to, Zeno my friend. To be kingly is to rule emotions, not to be ruled by them."
[19:48] "Look, the lake draws near. I almost feel as if some god has speeded our steps."
[19:48] "Not some god," Zeno corrects, "Clearly Zeus has directed Hermes to aid our journey."
[19:49] "All Gods bow to the King of Sky, after all."
[19:49] "Truly I believe that you are right, Zeno." Mezentius looks around for signs of their companions. Or for signs that they will need to cross to the Isle itself.
[19:50] Zeno sits on a piece of driftwood. "Zeus will deliver our companion shortly if it be His Will."
01[19:50] <@DungeonMaster> After some walking, Mezentius and Zeno happen upon a most blessed sight. It is Valian, the famed woodsman! And some other guy! And a wolf!
[19:51] "Brave Valian!" Mezentius cries. "I have contemplated deeply, and been struck by insight!"
[19:51] "His Will be done." Zeno offers a prayer giving Zeus glory.
[19:51] Mezentius shares the insight in questions.
[19:51] "Clouded though it be to we mortals, until after the fact, at times, indeed."
[19:52] "Mezentius, normally I'm pretty willing to listen to you talk, but Verdursus, you remember him, we saved him from Nebin?, he's over there in the woods, and healing fast, and I can't trust his animal instincts to flee confrontation will hold, so let's move our selves this way," Valian keeps moving as he directs his friends along the path.
[19:52] "I agree that the Duchy needs a hero to rally behind." Zeno says. "I will pray that Zeus will deliver this hero when His time is right."
[19:53] "Lysander Godsfinger, this is the rightful Basilious Mezentius, and Zeus's mouthpiece Zeno, gentlement, this is the Godfinger. Ladies love him."
[19:53] "Well met. May Zeus guide your steps."
[19:53] "As do the gods. Sometimes. I think. EIther that or they hate me beyond all other men; it's hard to tell the difference at times."
[19:54] "He does, though not always to an end I would wish."
[19:54] "Zeno, don't feed Lobos, he's already nippy. Anyways, about this hero idea, I'm fairly certain that you are referring to this young man right here, Mezentius."
[19:54] "Are you a hero?" Zeno asks speculatively.
[19:55] "If it were so, then Zeus's will is worked swiftly indeed." Mezentius looks the newcomer up and down.
[19:55] "Lightning seldom pauses for directions." Zeno says wisely.
[19:55] "Well, I would not presume to give myself that title, but I have on occasion won the trust of my fellow man, and led them in revolt, when the vile Alchemist's Guild plowed under our village to build their storehouse. And why would the gods have given me gifts of magic if they did not mean me to use?"
[19:56] "Mezentius, I've changed my mind, he seems to be a plant of the Alchemist's Guild. Off with his head."
[19:56] "If you are a foe to the alchemist guild then you are a friend to Zeus."
[19:56] "You think it too good to be true, Valian?"
[19:56] "Valian, surely you jest. We prayed for a hero and one has been delivered."
[19:57] "Really? Oh, that's excellence news. I can mark that off the list of things he might be angry with me for then."
[19:57] "I promise you, good folk, I am no friend of that band of charlatans and snake-oil mixers!"
[19:58] "I have Judged them in the name of Zeus and would see them fall to their knees at His Glory."
[19:59] "Why, the stories I could tell you of how they came into our poor town and threw us all off without so much as a by-your-leave."
[19:59] He does indeed proceed to go on a several-minutes long rant about the injustices committed by the Alchemist's Guild, which really just backs up what Zeno is saying as well.
[20:00] "My judgment tells me otherwise, Valian. I believe that if this man too knows of and opposes the fiendish depths of evil that the Guild so eagerly embraces, then we should accept him into our cause."
[20:00] "Your hand will be Zeus' vengeance."
[20:01] "Well, hatred for the Guild is friendship with me. Just know that your inevitable treachery, even if it catches me off guard...will have been expected."
[20:02] "The guard is approaching, but they've left off their rank and identification. This is a mission of assassination."
[20:02] "Inevitable only in its lacking, good jokester Valian... ware all."
[20:02] "Valian, I believe that an opportunity to test the good Lysander's loyalties is fast approaching."
[20:02] "Zeus would not send us a hero that would stick a dagger in our backs." Zeno states flatly.
[20:02] "You have seen them as well. Dost they seek thee out, then? I shall fight by the side of any who oppose the Duke and his Alchemist lapdogs!"
[20:03] "Lysander, stand with us now, and prove what we already suspect - that you are the hero sent to help us tear down that den of villains!"
[20:03] "As the gods will."
[20:04] "Im sorry, I drifted off, what did you say about guards?" Zeno asks.
[20:04] Valian draws and fires right past Zeno's cheek.
[20:05] "Keep thy eye on the arrow's flight, you shall spot them!"
[20:05] "Halt," Valian orders wryly.
01[20:05] <@DungeonMaster> The arrow hits the lead guard. "Oh son of a ***** you guys are dead!"
[20:06] "Nay, villain, it is you that shall darken The Wealthy One's door this day!"
[20:06] Mezentius flings a spear, then takes up his much larger one and holds a position as a bulwark between the enemy and the party.
01[20:06] <@DungeonMaster> The spear misses, but it's still pretty impressive.
[20:07] Lysander points at the lead guard, and levies a curse upon him, following it up with another beam of his green fire.
[20:10] Valian fires upon the guards again.
01[20:11] <@DungeonMaster> Valian pelts a second guard. He's not so bad at the arrow thing!
01[20:12] <@DungeonMaster> The guards rush forward
[20:12] Mezentius levels his spear as the enemy rushes in. "Tell me, soldiers of darkness, who among you believes that he can slay Royalty?"
01[20:12] <@DungeonMaster> Sadly none of them gets close enough for Mezentius to mess them up. Next turn!
[20:13] "Or have you followed Dukes and guildsmen so long that you have forgotten what it is to face a King?"
[20:14] Mezentius steps forwards to teach the wounded guardsman just what that is.
01[20:14] <@DungeonMaster> The wounded guardman learns an eternal lesson.
[20:15] Lobos moves foward cautiously, to cover Mezentius' flank.
[20:17] Lysander gestures, and a blot of darkness jumps from the leader's corpse to the southern-most guardsman, near Lobo.
[20:17] A beam of hellf... green fire! Normal green fire! Follows it.
01[20:18] <@DungeonMaster> The guard explodes with viridian light
[20:19] Zeno finally notices what is going on and reacts with Zeus' Sonic Fury. A snap of his fingers brings forth a crash of thunder, wrecking havoc on the ears of the still charging guards. Without looking back he moves into a better position.
[20:19] "Goddamn Zeno is cool," Valian mutters.
01[20:21] <@DungeonMaster> The wrath of Zeus shatters the guards with booming thunder. Only one remains standing
[20:21] "Who has ears," Mezentius laughs, "let him hear!"
[20:21] "Praise His name." Zeno praises His name.
[20:22] "Seriously, man. You've got until the count of three to surrender. "One..." Valian fires his arrow if the man does not immediately drop to his knees.
[20:23] "Two, Three."
[20:23] "Come." Mezentius helps. "On your knees and swear loyalty to Zeus and his heroes, on your life!"
01[20:23] <@DungeonMaster> The man grins. "You think you've one, huh? Go ahead. Hit me. Hit me!"
01[20:25] <@DungeonMaster> "You don't get it, do you?" he begins laughing hysterically. "There was only one way this could ever go down. You can't kill us." he impales himself on his spear.
01[20:25] <@DungeonMaster> "Cuz"
01[20:25] <@DungeonMaster> "We're"
01[20:26] <@DungeonMaster> "Already"
01[20:26] <@DungeonMaster> "Dead"
01[20:26] <@DungeonMaster> The corpses begin to twitch
[20:26] "May the ferryman speed your journey." Zeno blesses the corpse.
01[20:26] <@DungeonMaster> The dead rise, the armor they wore shattered by divine power, falling from them in fragments.
[20:27] "By Hercules, Zeno, see him move! The Guildmeister's black hand is behind this!"
[20:27] "This is the problem with allowing a man to rule the lands of the dead. There is no way The Morrigan would let this happen."
[20:27] "Hades is hardly a man." Zeno argues.
01[20:28] <@DungeonMaster> As the dead stumble forward, one is impaled by Mezentius. Yet he does not go down.
[20:28] "They profane the gods of the underworld, whether Hellene or no, brothers! Smite these abominations!"
01[20:30] <@DungeonMaster> The zombies approach
[20:31] Mezentius withdraws the point of the spear, and brings the edge crashing down upon the corpse's brow.
01[20:31] <@DungeonMaster> by all accounts the zombie should have fallen. Yet it does not
[20:33] Lobos snaps at it in the name of Zeus, hoping that teeth prevail where sticks do not.
01[20:33] <@DungeonMaster> The zombie falls this time. Go Lobos!
[20:35] "They are not indestructible!" He launches another bolt of green fire at the closest zombie.
01[20:37] <@DungeonMaster> The magic bashes the zombie in the face. Teeth fall out.
[20:37] Lobos points his nose to the sky and howls, calling his pack.
[20:38] "The living here are guarded by His Might!" Zeno proclaims, holding aloft his Holy Spear. "Begone in His name!"
[20:46] Dropping his bow, Valian draws Flash and Arrow and begins to dance.
01[20:51] <@DungeonMaster> The zombies begin their assault
01[20:55] <@DungeonMaster> And one zombie runs off
[20:55] "Rebels against divinity, witness the blessing of the immortal gods." Mezentius proclaims as the zombie's blows bounce off his blessed skin.
[20:56] The blows the king returns are less forceful, as he turns to protect Lobos.
01[20:56] <@DungeonMaster> Mezentius cleaves an arm off the zombie, but it does not go down.
[20:57] Lobos dodges away from the zombies, hoping to lure them into a fatal confrontation with a more powerful denizen of these woods and fellow Nebin survivor.
[20:59] "Lord of the Underworld, reclaim thy escaped subjects!" He hurls another bolt of fire at the zombie Mezentius already wounded.
01[21:00] <@DungeonMaster> The zombie is certainly about the fall again
01[21:02] <@DungeonMaster> And there he goes!
[21:02] "Lord Zeus shall provide our salvation in this unlikely vessel." Zeno says as he lays hands upon the unconcious bear. "Be Healed and fight for Zeus' Will!"
01[21:03] <@DungeonMaster> The bear gets up and kinda looks around.
[21:03] Lysander suddenly seems unsure he's picked the right group of heroes. There's faith, and then...
[21:03] "Destroy the enemies of the Gods!" Zeno instructs.
01[21:04] <@DungeonMaster> The bear wanders off.
[21:04] "Wait!" Zeno calls. "The enemies of the Gods are this way!"
01[21:04] <@DungeonMaster> "Rawr"
01[21:05] <@DungeonMaster> The bear begins licking his groin area.
[21:06] "Verdursus is the chosen of Zeus?" Valian asks Zeno.
[21:06] "It would appear not."
[21:07] Valian pauses. He was about to follow after their ursine savior.
[21:07] "Unfortunate. Salvation can still be yours though," he tells the dead guards.
[21:08] Lysander once again blasts the most-wounded looking zombie.
[21:08] ...once Valian is done slashing.
01[21:09] <@DungeonMaster> Valian slashes them up good. If the laws of rangerdom allowed him to concentrate all his attacks on a single foe one might be dead right now!
01[21:10] <@DungeonMaster> The zombies strike back.
01[21:11] <@DungeonMaster> And the other zombie just keeps walking south. Is it even still turned, or did it just get distracted?
[21:12] Valian is mauled by countless teeth and grasping nails. He stretches his hand out dramatically as the zombies take him.
[21:13] Mezentius continues his battle against the five, now three zombies that surrounded him while his companions struggle against the other five.
01[21:13] <@DungeonMaster> Mezentius slays another zombie jerk.
[21:13] "Valian! Hold fast to life, mine recent savior, and I shall be thy rescuer in turn!"
[21:14] Lobos charges at the zombies.
01[21:15] <@DungeonMaster> Lobos tears into the foul zombie flesh valiantly
[21:15] "Go with His Blessing, Hero." Zeno assures Lysander.
[21:17] "Let this be that day!" He fires at one of the zombies gnawing on his new friend Valian.
01[21:20] <@DungeonMaster> Lysander fells another zombie. His power over death overrides the zombie's animating magic!
[21:21] Zeno raises his Holy Spear and calls upon Zeus' mastery of the air to buffet the undead. "Get thee back Mockeries of Life!"
01[21:21] <@DungeonMaster> The zombie is pushed back towards Mezentius.
[21:25] The more foes come against Mezentius, the happier he grows. This new attacker brings a smile.
[21:26] Valian dives into the fray, flanking Lobos.
01[21:26] <@DungeonMaster> Valian takes another zombie out.
01[21:27] <@DungeonMaster> The other zombie continues to flee, and then the bear goes to maul it for fun.
[21:28] "Verdursus!" Valian cheers on the alchebear.
[21:29] Mezentius turns upon the final foes, first assaulting the one that menaces Valian.
01[21:29] <@DungeonMaster> Mezentius clears another zombie
[21:29] "He had heard Zeus' divine guidance." Zeno remarks, watching the bear.
[21:30] Lobos rounds Mezentius, falling upon the zombie that menaces Mezentius.
01[21:31] <@DungeonMaster> Lobos is kicking some serious butt right now.
[21:32] Lysander adds his green fire to the fray.
01[21:33] <@DungeonMaster> So close no matter how far
[21:34] Zeno sees the windblown zombie staggering after his beating. "Be gone." he commands as light flares from the tip of his spear.
01[21:35] <@DungeonMaster> The zombie explodes in a shower of glorious light
[21:36] "Never have I seen Zeus's will so directly wielded. But Zeno, my Valian is near overcome with wounds. Can you heal them?" Mezentius had seen his friend's earlier dramatic gesture.
01[21:36] <@DungeonMaster> The green bear meanwhile continue to shakes his zombie to pieces
[21:37] The priest takes a knee out of exhaustion. "Zeus has performed mighty deeds through me this day. Surely I can see to your Valian's injuries."
[21:38] He lays hands on the ranger.
[21:38] "Good. Well, Lysander, I hold your good faith to be demonstrated. You fought impressively."
[21:38] "What Zeus leaves undone, Airmid's blessings and holy medicine will restore," Valian informs Zeno.
01[21:38] <@DungeonMaster> "Yes indeed, well fought all of you!" A feminine voice calls out.
[21:39] "Glad I am indeed that Hermes the Guide led you to join my band, through Zeus's strong command."
[21:39] "It is clear to me that Lys is the hero we prayed for. You will be the hand that works Zeus' Will in Perseus City.
[21:39] Mezentius turns. Whose voice is this?
[21:39] "Hark, the Herald," Valian calls.
[21:39] "As did you all, my friends... who is this that speaks now?"
[21:39] Zeno looks surprised. Surely not another foe before he has opportunity to take a long rest.
[21:40] "Be thou nymph or fury or mortal of mortal born, unknown woman?"
01[21:40] <@DungeonMaster> A woman approaches you, unlike any woman any of you have seen before. Her eyes are a piercing gray, like they see right through you. Her garment is of the finest material. An owl perches on her shoulder.
01[21:40] <@DungeonMaster> "I am none of these, Lysander. Be at ease."
[21:41] Zeno's eyes widen and he throws himself prostrate before the woman.
[21:42] "Daughter of Zeus. I humbly follow Zeus' Will. Show your mercy on us poor mortals."
01[21:42] <@DungeonMaster> "Zeno knows, and for all his enthusiasm he still knows humility. Pleasing."
[21:42] "Are you a priestess of Athena, Ma'am?" Valian asks her respectfully. Follower of a different pantheon, he knows not to be beligerant to those servants of the goodly gods.
[21:42] Seeing Zeno drop to the ground, Lysander decides to play it safe, and he falls to his knees, his eyes wide, and bows his head.
01[21:43] <@DungeonMaster> "Three words too many, dear Valian."
[21:43] Zeno shivers as Valian addresses the Goddess.
[21:43] "Truly? Then you are one to whom even Mezentius must nod his head."
[21:43] Mezentius wonders whether Zeno is correct.
[21:44] After all, this could be a demon impersonating Athena.
[21:44] "THE Athena?" Valian's eyes widen, and he bows to the goddess. "Welcome to our battle."
[21:44] "May your servant rise and look upon your glory
[21:45] " Zeno asks humbly.
[21:45] Lysadner isn't a hundred percent himself, but either way offending her would be dumb.
01[21:45] <@DungeonMaster> Her soft features suddenly harden, as though now stone. "Mezentius. Where is your kingdom?"
[21:45] "Lost. Savage rites to the Old Ones now profane the once holy altars of Karkhedon."
[21:46] Lysander presses himself all the way down to the ground.
01[21:46] <@DungeonMaster> "And yet you call yourself Basileous!"
[21:47] Mezentius's eyes flash. "Does the Daughter of Zeus contend that rebellious savages can strip away what Zeus himself granted?"
01[21:48] <@DungeonMaster> "Do you presume to know the will of Zeus, Mezentius?"
[21:49] "The Daughter of Zeus represents wisdom and companionship towards heroes," Zeno reminds Mez. "Be mindful that you speak to the One who was born from His Almighty skull itself."
[21:50] "No man may know the mind of Zeus. I can only take his signs. On the day that the weapons of man cut my flesh like any other, daughter of Zeus, I shall know that I have truly lost all claim to Royalty."
[21:50] "Never have mortals profitted by insulting the gods."
[21:50] Mezentius is beginning to seriously wonder whether she really is a demon, sent to make him lose faith in his royal destiny.
[21:51] "I pray, Great Athena, allow me to plant olive trees throughout this grove in your honor, that men who follow us here know your hallowed feet touched this earth."
[21:52] "I do not know you, Lady Athena, nor does your family comprise my own gods, but I do know that noble Mezentius is a true and faithful basilious, as well as tireless proponent of the Olympian values."
[21:53] "Were I to abandon Flidais and Maeve, it would because Mezentius' tales of Athena and Artemis have swayed my heart."
[21:54] Sometimes, it isn't the time for rough language, owlbear or no owlbear.
01[21:54] <@DungeonMaster> "Faithful Zeno, I did not come down to be adored, nor to content with mortals concerning kingdoms lost by their fathers. There are far graver plots developing even as we speak. Things I cannot speak of, for Father Zeus in his wisdom has deemed it forbidden that we should interfere. I see before men men of potential. You are like slabs of purest marble, ready to be carved into a masterpiece."
[21:55] Tears pour down Zenos' face as the Beautiful Words roll off her perfect lips.
[21:55] "I wish only to serve His glory."
[21:56] "Thank you, Great Lady, long have I hoped to be such in the hands of the sculptors divine."
01[21:57] <@DungeonMaster> "Mezentius, for all your might and faith, you are yet apprehensive towards me. This is the attitude of a boy who has known loss. And loss you have known. A grander kingdom may yet await you, but a man who clings to the past cannot take hold of the future."
01[21:58] <@DungeonMaster> "Zeno, you burn with zeal for my father. But a fire can destroy if not kept in its place. Yet contained properly it forges the mightiest weapons. Know when to burn, and when to wait in embers. Grander things yet await you."
[21:59] "Your wisdom is perfection," Zeno mumbles prayer as she speaks.
[21:59] Mezentius considers their visitor's words.
[21:59] "May Hephastus temper or fan my flames to better serve Zues."
01[22:00] <@DungeonMaster> "Lysander, you cannot yet understand what has come onto you, but do not lose faith. Answers will come. It is not what you wished, but what you have now you can use for great things. Remember your home, and remember that across the world are people like your neighbors, awaiting a hero."
[22:01] "Thank you Lord Zeus for sending Lysander as the answer to my prayer." Zeno continues to pray.
01[22:02] <@DungeonMaster> "Valian, Valian, Valian. You have forgotten your first love! Where is the boy who came here and was enchanted by the forests? Where is the boy who knew only freedom? Vengeance will consume you if you allow it. There are grim things you must yet do, but do them because they are right, not because you were wronged."
[22:02] "I... I don't know if I understand my lady, but I shall remember your words, and think upon them until the light dawns."
[22:03] "May the words of Your messenger fill Valius with Your Wisdom," Zeno prays.
01[22:04] <@DungeonMaster> "You face a foe far greater than you can presently comprehend. Do not let yourselves be poisoned by greed, and you will overcome."
[22:04] Valian sighs. His goddess or not, she's right. He has lost his way...or at least traveled far down a strange path. He was once more...idealistic. But that was before he was hired and betrayed by his companions, and again by his companions' master.
[22:06] Mezentius does not doubt this at least.
01[22:06] <@DungeonMaster> Her countanence suddenly lightens again. "Now, it is customary for the Olympians to grant a boon favor upon visiting chosen heroes. If you consider yourself bold and discerning, ask."
[22:06] For who *could* comprehend the depths of the Guildmeister's depravity?
[22:06] "Yes, for was it not greed that turned the Duke and his alchemists against their own people? No clearer example could we wish for."
[22:06] "How can we serve His Divine Will, Divine Lady of Wisdom?" Zeno pleads.
01[22:08] <@DungeonMaster> "For now, it is enough to strive against the mechanations of the Alchemist Bergos and protect the people of this land. You will learn more when the time comes."
[22:09] Lobos barks at Athena. She knows what he wants.
[22:09] "Divine one, if I might ask, please grant our hero with a relic. Something to show mankind that he has been Chosen to fulfill the wishes of the immortals."
[22:09] "I would not ask for help turning my heart from the dark path I have set it upon, for that is my own task. Nor would I beg of you riches or higher station. Give me the power to protect my friends and companions," Valian states boldly.
01[22:13] <@DungeonMaster> Athena scratches Lobos behind the ear. "As you wish, noble creature." Lobos suddenly grows.
[22:13] "No man has ever branded me timid, but I have not yet grown into the fullness of my inheritance, that my eyes might see as royally as Zeus's own bird." Mezentius admits. "Still, where boldness leads on and discernment perhaps lacks, boldness must win, so I will ask. You question my right to my title - then aid me in upholding it. It is said that no-one is cleverer and better with words than
[22:13] Zeus's wise daughter - then help my words win over those who hear them, that I might inspire the people to follow me."
[22:16] "For myself... you have already answered the only question I had thought to ask of you. Now... let me hear the wisdom of the world. Might I ask to hear truly the tongues of bird and beast, and be understood by them in turn? By this gift, I could have avoided adding to the pain of that poor creature I met earlier this day, and can learn the ways and wiles of our enemies, to better serve my
[22:16] destiny."
01[22:23] <@DungeonMaster> "Zeno, as you wish. A relic for Lysander." The hilt of a broken blade appears in Lysander's hand. "This was once the blade of Prince Offa, who founded this duchy. Lost long ago in battle, his son thought it destroyed. If only he had looked harder."
01[22:24] <@DungeonMaster> "Offa was not only a warrior, but an eldritch knight without peer. Even broken this blade is potent. You will discover its powers in due time."
[22:24] Zeno raises his hands in worship.
[22:26] "I shall bear it proudly."
[22:27] "You better." Zeno says.
01[22:27] <@DungeonMaster> "And since you asked, you may speak with the tongue of beasts." Lysander feels a tingling on his tongue.
[22:28] "Many thanks, Great Lady."
01[22:29] <@DungeonMaster> "Valian, I grant you the speed of the wild things, so that you may always be at your companions' side."
[22:31] "Youre divine Blessings are amazing. May they further Your Glory."
01[22:35] <@DungeonMaster> "Mezentius, so that you may be more winsome in your words, I grant you this blessing." Absolutely no physical change happens to Mezentius.
[22:36] "Your Will be done," Zeno chants.
[22:37] It seems this is Athena after all.
[22:37] Or certainly, if it is an evil demon sent to trick Mezentius, it is one imbued with divine power.
[22:38] Mezentius nods his head to their guest, just as he said when they first spoke.
01[22:38] <@DungeonMaster> "Now I depart. Though you do not yet know comprehend it fully, remember well what is at stake."
[22:38] "Thank you, Lady Athena."
[22:38] "We shall."
[22:38] "We will attempt to know comprehend it more fully each day."
01[22:38] <@DungeonMaster> And she's gone. A small olive tree stands where she was.
[22:39] "Holy Cow. I am totally the Best Cleric Ever!" Zeno shouts after a stunned pause.
[22:39] "Should we meet again, Daughter of Zeus, I hope to offer you hospitality befitting your station. Till then, my thanks go with you, and I will not forget your words."
[22:39] "Friends..."
[22:40] "I feel my confidence redoubled. I am certain now that we shall prevail!"
[22:40] Valian stalks around like a panther.
01[22:41] <@DungeonMaster> You all also notice you are fully healed.
[22:41] "Without a doubt," Zeno says. "We are truely blessed. We must be about our business though. What is our plan at this point?"
[22:41] "Vengeance against the Guildmeist...eh, perhaps we should uncover this great evil the Lady spoke of?"
[22:42] "She said that we should persue the evil that is The Guildmeister." Zeno replies.
[22:42] "I do not doubt for a second, brave Valian, that his dark hand lies behind every evil in this Duchy and perhaps beyond."
[22:43] "I am sure that by rooting out this evil, we will also strike a fatal blow against him."
[22:44] "You should use your new power to apologize to Verdursus," Valian advises the Chosen One.
[22:44] "Ive been thinking. It is our duty to show the populace that the Gods have wrought judgement against the Duke and his cronies." Zeno remarks.
[22:44] "Zeno, your divine inspiration has led us well so far. If it is necessary, I shall decide our course, but first, what course would your visions have us tread?"
[22:44] "Indeed; the Guildmeister, and his master, or his tool, the Duke, are the author of all troubles in this Duchy. Only by stamping them out, we open the path to greater things."
[22:45] "Yes, yes, I shall do so, friend Valian, when next I encounter the poor creature... where did he go?"
01[22:45] <@DungeonMaster> The bear is back to licking itself next to the thrashed zombie.
[22:46] "I see the duchy turning on the guilds and the Duke. I see a valiant warrior standing against the evil that bears down on Perseus City."
[22:47] "We need to be in the streets speaking out. Zeus will perform miracles at our bequest."
[22:48] Lysander hesitantly approaches the alchemical bear, his hands raised, slowly. "Mighty Verdursus? I am sorry if I gave you offense or fright before. I did not know of the pain you already feel."
01[22:49] <@DungeonMaster> The bear looks up at you. "I am not Mighty Verdusus. I am Bear. Do you have food? I want food."
[22:49] "Then our course is clear. First, we must revisit the Isle, that we may be sure the goblin armies will go north, and that we will have time to prepare for a heroic defense. And then immediately we must follow these visions - at that time we shall return to the city and use the time we gain to rouse the people against the enemies without and within."
[22:50] "Of course, of course..." He gives Bear some dried meat from his pack.
[22:51] "If you wish help in preparing a defense, friends, I know some folk that can aid us."
01[22:51] <@DungeonMaster> Bear begins eating the meat.
[22:52] "Actually I think we are preparing an assault if Im not mistaken. Mezentius, how confident are you that your army will follow strict instruction?" Zeno asks.
[22:52] "Zeno, ever since we spoke with our guest I am filled with immense confidence about everything. I do not doubt it in the least."
[22:53] "My concern is for the innocents. I can speak out in the streets, warning of invasion, but there is no tolerance for the spilling of innocent blood."
[22:54] "Hmm, even so, there is another group who opposes the Duke, and loves these lands, whom I flatter myself have some small trust in me. A group of the dispossessed, wrongly labelled bandits, when all they desire is survival and peace."
[22:55] "Perhaps, Lysander, it is time to become King of the Bandits. Or those wrongly labeled as such."
[22:55] "But you must answer a critical question first."
[22:55] "If naught else, they would be glad to give shelter, away from the eyes of our enemies."
[22:55] "Ask it."
[22:55] "Are those the men who were banished?" Zeno asks.
[22:55] "Are these men cowards?"
[22:56] "As with any group of men, they cannot be painted with a single brush. But for the most, they are willing to fight if the need is upon them."
[22:57] "Zeus be praised. I was much concerned that they would all be pusillanimous wretches."
[22:57] "There is even a former knight among us, who turned from the Duke's depravities."
[22:57] "But if they be men of mixed and largely better sorts, as you say, my hopes are high."
[22:59] "Indeed they are, men and women alike."
[23:00] "And yes, Zeno, some were banished from their homes, others chose to flee oppression. The survivors of my village, destroyed for a Guild warehouse, are among them."
[23:00] "They say that in the uttermost East there was a man called Tamerlane, who from a position as leader of a single bandit camp raised himself up to be unchallenged emperor of all the eastern lands. Perhaps our path is similar."
[23:00] Zeno slips Mez a gold piece, "Pusillanimous?" he mumbles.
[23:01] "First of all, then, let us go to recruit these men."
[23:01] "The bandits need my spiritual guidance. Their sentence is unjust and it is my duty to rescend their punishment." Zeno replies.
[23:02] "Perhaps it may be so. And our camp is not so very far from the Isle of Repose, if that be th eone you spoke of, good Valian."
[23:02] "Indeed, a group from our camp split off and tried to settle there, in hopes of easing the strain on food supplies; thirty left for that place, and ten returned, bearing tales of madness."
[23:03] "Pusillanimous indeed, Zeno, for before we met you, Valian and I encountered the a band of the shamefully wretched and cowardly outlaws human imagination could conjure up, so much so that they had been cast out of even the fellowship of other criminals."
[23:03] "The Cannibal Savages," Valian nods.
[23:03] "Lets share in a long rest before we set out to meet the leaders of this band of brave souls." Zeno suggests.
[23:04] "Let's." And thus they do so.
[23:05] During the rest they may or may not have discussions.
01[23:05] <@DungeonMaster> AND SO THE BEST LEG OF THE ADVENTURE COMES TO A CLOSE. WHAT AWAITS OUR HEROES AT THE BANDIT CAMP? CAN A RESISTANCE BE MUSTERED AGAINST THE TREACHEROUS DUKE? WHAT IS THE GUILDMEISTER'S PLOT? AND WHAT GREAT EVIL OVERSHADOWS THE DUCHY? FIND OUT SOME OTHER TIME!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

suspicion-preferred