Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: My 5E Experience
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:24 pm 

WarDragon wrote:
I can only offer my continued regrets that my availability and Kain's are mutually exclusive. If my other thing on Saturdays falls through, I'd love to join you guys.

Look just kill and eat your friends and join my game already. I'll even let you start at 2nd level.

Kain Darkwind wrote:
I have no idea what I did that was unexpected. Everything seemed so straight forward.

Well first off I thought you'd go south first. Then I thought maybe you would coup de grace or knock extra-unconscious the guy in the bed, rather than just try to steal his jewelry right off him. THEN I thought you either running away, possibly joining with Margaret to ambush Krusk and Nebin before they could leave the island, or else get knocked out and...well...that would be spoilers.

You turning around to fight back, half-dead, and succeeding was the last thing I expected. Granted I stupidly failed to make use of Krusk's rage in any instance and Nebin simply failed to prepare any real combat spells aside from his acid splash cantrip and color spray, but it still managed to be both the most unexpected twist and overall leading to perhaps the most fun adventuring to come. But I think the best part is that it's a result of the player's action, not something I just made happen. Storytelling as Gygax intended, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:04 am 

Another thing I notice, as I try to assemble good encounters for my one PC and whatever helpful NPCs are about, is that there is in fact a great deal of difference between monsters of otherwise identical CR. On the low end you have zombies with a very low AC and movement who nevertheless could theoretically survive an infinite amount of punishment. On the other you got guys with remarkably high AC who go down pretty quickly if you can manage to hit them at all. It becomes very clear that some monsters are better dealt with through magical assaults, while others just need some good old-fashioned weapons-inserted-into-flesh (or the convenient magical void beneath).

Having only one player continues to be frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:28 pm 

I might show up this coming Saturday, depending on whether I need a PHB to learn this game or whether the basic rules online are enough.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Coriat wrote:
I might show up this coming Saturday, depending on whether I need a PHB to learn this game or whether the basic rules online are enough.

Where are the basic rules online?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:40 pm 

Here?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:42 pm 

Has anyone used 5e rules to run a modern-world game?

Apparently the DMG has rules for modern firearms

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, they're taking forever to load for me, but they look like they should be up to date (the site is dated after the release, not during the playtest).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:05 pm 

Coriat, the basic rules should be fine: anything lacking I can relay to you directly.

Go ahead and post whatever first level character you are feeling like playing in my game thread and then I'll message you additional info to properly integrate you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:35 am 

Oh yeah having a second player is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

I agree, and hope that said player can continue to play. Regardless, I'd be interested in hearing his take on the mechanical system. As someone with a solid system mastery of Pathfinder, who has played no less than four characters over the past year, Coriat has a perspective I'd value.

However, I do think his barbarian is overshadowing my ranger. I propose he is turned into a halfling, and maybe just takes a -2 penalty to all rolls. And one of his teeth should be crooked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next