Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: My 5E Experience
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:36 pm 

I feel that I should wait a session or two before offering a real take on the mechanical system, since I was mostly feeling my way through it this past session with your guidance.

That said, I sure felt like a badass with that Bear Totem and Unarmored Defense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

You heard it here first, folks, Coriat loves 5e, it solves all RPG problems ever and Pathfinder is old clunky lame news.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:57 pm 

You know, I realize if Mezentius lets his weapon go that he can grapple two monsters at the same time. All it requires is a free hand or other grapple-y appendage.

I mean, theoretically speaking Valian could too, but let's be serious, Valian isn't the divine descendant of Herakles.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

I am curious how grappling works that one does not need to maintain the free hand after they have grappled. In my mind's eye, Mez had thrown his spear around the guy's chest and that's how he was 'attacking' with the spear while really smashing the helmed horror into the ground.

As for my religious preferences, I will have you know that I only pay lip service to the Greek gods and my true faith lies with Herne.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:52 pm 

Well considering being grappled only prevents you from moving away, it seems to consist of nothing more than the grappler grabbing onto you, rather than previous editions where your combative ability is also limited. Doesn't do anything to prevent you from attacking after all. The grapple ended when he chose to attack instead of maintaining it (since he needed both hands to use his weapon), but the flavor of the attack was just too awesome, and since rules wise none of what he did was illegal it was all gravy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, I hadn't realized the grappled ended at all. I do like the new reach rules though. No adjacent nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:25 pm 

Speaking of reach, I've been screwing Mezentius out of opportunity attacks: I was reading his feat as granting opportunity attacks with his improved reach, but that's by default. What the feat does is let him make opportunity attacks against foes entering his reach, as well as moving around in his threatened area as usual. Basically meaning he should have gotten an extra attack against the helmed horror.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:47 pm 

I know a grapple needs a free hand to start, but does it end if I stop having a free hand or can I bind them up as Kain mentioned? I can see how needing to keep the hand free might make sense, although I didn't see it in the appendix. I guess I need to get a one-handed weapon for those occasions when I want to both grapple and stab. Or get the 5e version of Improved Unarmed Strike for those dual-grappling Herculean moments.

Or else I need to develop that other grappley appendage that you mention.

It was fun to grapple the guy either way.

I'm reading up on how opportunity attacks work now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

I think Coriat and I were operating under the same assumption, which is that the grapple did not end, and he did not need a free hand to maintain it.

The grappled condition ends if the grappler is incapacitated.
The condition also ends if an effect removes the grappled creature from the reach of the grappler or grappling effect, such as when the creature is hurled away by the thunderwave spell.

I suppose putting something in your grappling hand could be read as voluntarily releasing the grapple (no action required), but I hadn't read it that way during the combat. I suppose it's up to you, DM.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:08 pm 

Reading the grapple rules again, it does appear that by RAW there is nothing requiring that the appendage must continue to be dedicated to maintaining the grapple. However as the DM I am going to have to require that for common sense's sake. If Mezentius acquires a magic ponytail we can talk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next