Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: My 5E Experience
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:43 pm 

So I ran my first D&D Next game yesterday (I recall testing it once a while back when it was in beta stage but only lasted a session I think). Kain was my only victim because the rest of you are jerks.

My favorite part is the simplicity. I have a lot more experience with 3rd Edition, particularly 3.5 and Pathfinder, but if I had the same time with 5e I probably wouldn't even need to reference the books. It was also very convenient to have a bunch of normal to great human type guys in the back for quick use (though I ended up only using one of said statblocks).

The fact that charging isn't a thing (at least by default rules) in this edition really threw me off. Forced me to change the way I ran the first encounter. Probably just as well, as said first encounter might have ended up killing the NPC whose sole purpose (from a metagame view) is to keep Kain's character from dying from some CR 1/8 encounter.

Speaking of which, it is a very good thing these exist, and in quite a variety, because with a lack of healing classes among them it's entirely possible that a single CR 1 monster could kill Kain's character and/or some of his allied NPCs entirely by luck. I get the impression this game expects you to play smarter than other editions, particularly at 1st level. It certainly rewards smarter gameplay to an extent (but hey if your rolls on the surprise arrows both suck there's nothing you can do).

The worst part so far is only having one player. :(

Post subject: Re: My 5E Experience
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

I loved the mechanics, and I've been breathing 3e since 2000. The game really sort of steps back and lets a DM run whatever kind of story he wants to tell. Magic seems slightly toned down, and a lot of stuff is written into the martial's rules, like "you can get away with not paying for your food because you're a pirate" or "people who travel with you can't get lost" and "you remember the general layout of places"

I'm at the level where the roll means a heck of a lot more, armed with plain old shortswords (need to get longswords asap) and leather armor. The game adds Dex to damage if you use Dex to attack and Str to damage if you use Str to attack. It's nice, not having a massive feat chain just to make your concept viable.

I'm also coming off reading the third Pathfinder rulebook that I've said, "alright, this was too much" about. The sheer simplicity of the rules here is very freeing, and yet the characters created with the rules are just as rich. It seems like a lot of things were looked at and discarded. Spring Attack, a three feat chain that lets you move, attack, then move. Nope. Basic rules, you can move before, during or after you attack. Two weapon fighting? You can just do it, you get two attacks. The second doesn't get bonus damage unless you have some abilities that are able to provide that for you. But things just work instead of having to fiddle endlessly with your build. There isn't an army of restrictions in place to keep you from doing things until you have the proper feats.

All in all, I really like it. It's not enough to get me to give up on Pathfinder, but it is fun enough that I'd never turn down a game. KCG's right, the worst part is lacking the group dynamic.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:44 pm 

You do know you can use your morningstar, right? With your feat you could use two morningstars if you had them without any penalty. I understand the notion that yes you're going to want longswords, but for now? Morningstar will do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:29 am 

IF you can swing a game that isn't on a tuesday or saturday I can try and swing my participation. The simplicity is very much a selling point for me and a group dynamic is always helpful. I know my first 5e session consisted of my rogue halfling being mauled to death by a wolf when he picked the wrong bush to hide in, but I still had fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:34 am 

I like your experiences here because they mirror my own. Concepts are just so much easier to execute because you're not burdened by the onus of rules mastery to create feat chains just to not screw up a build. Magic steals less of the spotlight. Everything feels slimmed down, but sharper.

Going from 3E to 4E was very jarring, IMXP. Going back to 5E was like coming home and seeing all your friends had grown up a little while you were away. If I was still in FL, we'd have to get a game going.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:37 pm 

KobaldArchmage wrote:
IF you can swing a game that isn't on a tuesday or saturday I can try and swing my participation. The simplicity is very much a selling point for me and a group dynamic is always helpful. I know my first 5e session consisted of my rogue halfling being mauled to death by a wolf when he picked the wrong bush to hide in, but I still had fun.

I might be down for a weekday or Sunday game, but with Kain being my only player presently, he gets priority. If one of your days works for him, we can try it out. But nothing's even being discussed until you post a character in my awesome thread.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Regrettably, if it isn't Saturday, I don't have it free. Not even a half hour session.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:32 pm 

You know what's really fun?

When you plot out a couple of fairly probable scenarios to give your player(s) some cool and exciting adventuring, but then they do the most unexpected things and open the door to even cooler things.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:42 pm 

I can only offer my continued regrets that my availability and Kain's are mutually exclusive. If my other thing on Saturdays falls through, I'd love to join you guys.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:04 am 
Site Admin

I have no idea what I did that was unexpected. Everything seemed so straight forward.