Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Pathfinder Interest Check
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

I'll admit, it seems like House on Hook Street is a significantly shorter affair than Necropolis, which is an massive adventure that moves you through numerous seriously high levels. It's not just the 3 level gain vs 8 levels, it's 3 low levels vs 8 high levels.

(Glab, if you do run Necropolis, it seriously benefits from a lot of Mummy's Mask artwork, I have all of the pdfs if you need to borrow them to obtain the art.)

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:02 pm 

Right now, of all the players who've expressed a preference, WD is the only one that favors Necropolis over the House on Hook Street. As such, I'll probably end up running two House adventures. If they go well, my schedule continues to allow for it, and there's enough interest (which, granted, is a lot of `if`s), I may try my hand at Necropolis following Hook Street's conclusion.

Appreciated, Kain. I'll hit you up if/when Necropolis seems more likely.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:23 am 

Glabrezubane wrote:
Appreciate the kind words, Selah, Kain. You're both welcome to join if circumstances change, just drop me a line.

KCG, what adventure would you prefer? No preference is a valid response.

Necropolis sounds cooler. So I'd say I prefer that.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:56 am 

Houserules.

In the same way that the events of the Avengers informed Hell's Kitchen in Daredevil, the events of Curse of Crimson Throne inform the attitudes of NPCs in The House on Hook Street. If your character is based in Korvosa, where The House on Hook Street will take place, it would be difficult for them to be ignorant of these events unless they're amnesiac. If you'd rather have them be an adventurer from a distant land they won't have any need to know what's under the spoiler.

Spoiler:
Seven years ago, a deadly epidemic called "blood veil" swept through Korvosa, far beyond the ability of the city's clerics and paladins to heal the thousands infected. Roughly 2,200 of Korvosa's population of 18,500~ dead, leaving Korvosa worse than decimated. The affluent and the influential were, of course, among those who could afford to pay for healing, and so the victims of the disease came disproportionately from the impoverished, the disenfranchised, and the ethnic minorities like the Varisians and the Shoanti.

The Queen declared a quarantine of one of the poorest neighborhoods, overcrowded Old Korvosa, destroying all wooden bridges to the district and blockading the one remaining stone bridge, effectively consigning all within the district to dying of blood veil, leading to riots.

Though the Queen has since been deposed, Old Korvosa has turned away from the traditional authorities and Korvosa's established religions, distrusting them due to the former's terrible treatment and the latter's absence of support.

You may, if you so wish, incorporate this into your character's backstory. Perhaps they were a survivor of blood veil, perhaps they lost someone to blood veil. Perhaps they were a relative or are otherwise connected to the heroes that saved Korvosa seven years ago (the player characters of Curse of the Crimson Throne).

It is worth noting that while options that cure disease would be flavorful in light of such a backstory, that the `nightmare plague` of The House on Hook Street does not function as a disease under the rules. While such choices will not be useless, they are unlikely to see play more than once or twice over the course of the adventure.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:25 am 

Assuming my application is not rejected, I'll need some guidance as far as figuring out where my character will come from.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:33 pm 

I believe I'll do a native Korvosan.

This may help, in deciding whether to be from there or not KCG: http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Korvosa

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone who wants help with regional information can ask me. I have all paizos campaign setting books.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:44 pm 

KingCrazyGenius wrote:
Assuming my application is not rejected, I'll need some guidance as far as figuring out where my character will come from.

If you're willing to play through the House on Hook Street, though I know it isn't your first pick, you're certainly welcome.

I can be reached on AIM or google hangouts, as well, if that's more convenient for you.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:09 am 

If we're doing Hook then we're doing Hook. It's cool by me.

When do we get character creation rules?

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:57 am 

The House on Hook Street is designed for 6th level characters. Starting wealth is standard WBL. The particulars of character creation starting ability scores and hit points are under houserules.

Report this post