Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Suicide Squad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Kain Darkwind wrote:
I told you I'd be waiting!

Technically, I don't think the GL or JH movies were part of the Murderverse...it is just the three most recent movies at this point. And if by 'TV shows', you mean the CW offerings, I think they have their own struggles, but all in all offer more faithful and recognizable adaptations than the Murderverse has. If however, you mean the Timmverse, I would argue that said entity blows all comicbook adaptations out of the water, and still remains the gold standard for adapted comic material.

I mean the Snyder films and the DC adaptations that precede it by five or six years. Aside from The Dark Knight Rises (which completely tossed the idea of a "realistic" Batman film out the window... which wasn't necessary a bad thing), I can't think of a single decent DC movie that wasn't straight to video (and, thus, part of the Timmverse/DC Animated). The Murderverse really only includes MoS, BvS, and now SS, and they've murdered more than just hundreds of thousands of characters, but are a hair's breadth away of doing so to a franchise before getting it off the ground. Let's hope WW fixes things, although at this point I'm not holding my breath.

Yes, while the CW adaptations have their own issues (especially Legends of Tomorrow... I couldn't get past the third episode), by and large they respect the source material and are sincere in their attempts to work with the characters.

Quote:
I said before when DC announced their Justice League plans that they were doing it backasswards, trying to get the Avengers payoff without laying the groundwork and struggling through their Incredible Hulk and Captain America: First Avenger low yield offerings that laid a firm foundation and built real excitement.

Agreed then and now. (And for the record, of the first wave, Captain America: The First Avenger was actually my favorite.)

Quote:
Also, if you cut out the boring parts of BvS, you have a movie that feels nearly identical to Suicide Squad. The MCU has (or had, at the beginning before we started to see producer oversight start to stifle things) distinct feels to its movies. Captain America was a period piece, the sequel a spy-thriller. Hulk was a psychological struggle. Iron Man runs on themes of technological advancement and responsibility. GotG is the train job in space. Etc.

I agree to the extent that the two films have a brooding, morose quality to them, particularly the middle parts of SS. I do think that BvS was actually trying to tackle some thoughtful ideas; unfortunately, nuance, subtlety, and development aren't are Snyder's forte.

Quote:
Also, it was really glaring when I heard pieces of music from GotG in Suicide Squad. Maybe don't use the same songs as the movie you are invariably going to be compared to. Can you imagine if Deep Impact had Aerosmith's 'Don't want to miss a thing' playing in it?

Yeah, I'm tired of the Pop, Rock, and Rap they keep trying to cram into these films. They do not feel or sound genuine in most cases because it's clear they're trying to hard. In GotG it worked because Star-Lord used that music in the film as a tie to his origins on Earth and mother; that is, it was organic. In SS, it was an attempt to sound clever and to make it clear that this wasn't like other super-hero movies; instead, it sounded lame and forced.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:38 am 

Have not seen Suicide Squad myself yet, but reading through this, if anyone hasn't watched Suicide Squad: Assault on Arkham, you may be more pleased (or, at least, less displeased) with that.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, I don't mind Assault on Arkham. A far superior interpretation of the characters and a better use of The Joker.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:53 am 

All the hemming and hawing makes me think this movie isn't very good at all.

I'll continue to save my money for Marvel flicks. Sorry DC you just don't know what you're doing. Or you don't care.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

The Serge wrote:
Kain Darkwind wrote:
I told you I'd be waiting!

Technically, I don't think the GL or JH movies were part of the Murderverse...it is just the three most recent movies at this point. And if by 'TV shows', you mean the CW offerings, I think they have their own struggles, but all in all offer more faithful and recognizable adaptations than the Murderverse has. If however, you mean the Timmverse, I would argue that said entity blows all comicbook adaptations out of the water, and still remains the gold standard for adapted comic material.

I mean the Snyder films and the DC adaptations that precede it by five or six years. Aside from The Dark Knight Rises (which completely tossed the idea of a "realistic" Batman film out the window... which wasn't necessary a bad thing), I can't think of a single decent DC movie that wasn't straight to video (and, thus, part of the Timmverse/DC Animated). The Murderverse really only includes MoS, BvS, and now SS, and they've murdered more than just hundreds of thousands of characters, but are a hair's breadth away of doing so to a franchise before getting it off the ground. Let's hope WW fixes things, although at this point I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, from DC (since I was born [and slightly before]), we've had the following movies. (Only using core properties, so things like Watchmen and V for Vendetta are out, and only using silver screen movies, so no Timmverse.) My ratings in ().

Reeveverse
Superman (A)
Superman 2 (A)
Superman 3 (D+)
Superman 4 (D-)
Superman Returns (C+)

Burtonverse
Batman (A)
Batman Returns (A-)

Shumaverse
Batman Forever (C)
Batman and Robin (D)

Nolanverse
Batman Begins (A-)
The Dark Knight (A)
The Dark Knight Rises (B)

Murderverse
Man of Steel (B-)
BvS: Dawn of Justice (D+)
Suicide Squad (C)

Assorted Crap
Steel (D-)
Catwoman (F-)
Constantine (B)
Jonah Hex (F)
Green Lantern (D+)

Quote:
(And for the record, of the first wave, Captain America: The First Avenger was actually my favorite.)

Mine too, but it was financially less successful than anything other than the Incredible Hulk, which again, I loved. I know that if a crap film shat money onto a studio, they'd make a dozen sequels though, so I'm focusing on the important parts to them....you have to make these movies, which may not make a fortune, but set your studio up for an Avengers to follow.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, if you cut out the boring parts of BvS, you have a movie that feels nearly identical to Suicide Squad. The MCU has (or had, at the beginning before we started to see producer oversight start to stifle things) distinct feels to its movies. Captain America was a period piece, the sequel a spy-thriller. Hulk was a psychological struggle. Iron Man runs on themes of technological advancement and responsibility. GotG is the train job in space. Etc.

I agree to the extent that the two films have a brooding, morose quality to them, particularly the middle parts of SS. I do think that BvS was actually trying to tackle some thoughtful ideas; unfortunately, nuance, subtlety, and development aren't are Snyder's forte.

Suicide Squad tries to tackle some thoughtful ideas too, like ethical quandaries, means vs the ends, honor among thieves, etc. Just again, nuance and subtlety weren't on the agenda. And I don't know if that's Ayer's fault here or the studio's.

Quote:
Also, it was really glaring when I heard pieces of music from GotG in Suicide Squad. Maybe don't use the same songs as the movie you are invariably going to be compared to. Can you imagine if Deep Impact had Aerosmith's 'Don't want to miss a thing' playing in it?

Yeah, I'm tired of the Pop, Rock, and Rap they keep trying to cram into these films. They do not feel or sound genuine in most cases because it's clear they're trying to hard. In GotG it worked because Star-Lord used that music in the film as a tie to his origins on Earth and mother; that is, it was organic. In SS, it was an attempt to sound clever and to make it clear that this wasn't like other super-hero movies; instead, it sounded lame and forced.[/quote]

Lame and forced, but also, in the case of Greenbaum's Spirit in the Sky, ripped directly off from Guardians of the Galaxy as well.

Report this post