Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: 5ed General Discussion
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:11 pm 

Well I was still a bit groggy from having just woken up, and was committed to moving "forward" that I really didn't know which ways I could actually go. So I can't really blame our direction on anyone else.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Eh, there were a ton of things that all combined to go wrong. The room the dragon is in allows the party to spread out; the party lost initiative and the fight's first move was a massively powered breath weapon in a confined area. Nearly any turn would have taken you to an easier, goblin/rat/kobold/skeleton fight like the ones you've already had success with. Pug forgot (because the DM's map wasn't showing) about the guard goblins in the room nearby. Despite fighting a white dragon, no warding of cold or employing fire against it was planned on. No stealth employed to get the jump on it. No making Pug go first to suck the first hit. Etc. There was just a lot that could have gone right, and instead it didn't. A lot luck, a lot chance, some of it under the party's control. The natural 20 on Diplomacy was pretty much the only upside to the encounter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:45 pm 

Well I've definitely learned my lesson: assume direct control and give the other players no input.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

A massive overhaul of the ranger class has been released. Favored enemy and beastial companions have gotten a major upgrade.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:19 am 

Damn, Wizards did a really good job with this edition, 5e completely blows Pathfinder out of the water.
Pity there's a serious lack of options other than the official core books.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:07 am 
Site Admin

I don't really think they've blown PF out of the water. The two systems offer two different ways to experience adventures. 5e is significantly lower on options for character creation (although expected given PF's longer run), but seems to work those options into a looser framework for actual play.

PF simulates reality and fantasy reality better, so if high simulation is a desired quality, PF beats 5e there. PF also offers a ton of options in the form of hybrid classes, some very steampunk choices and even some very complicated concepts like the vigilante and occult classes, that require a massive amount of system mastery to function. Adventure-wise, nothing 5e has put out comes close to touching PF, even the good ones. Setting-wise, nothing 5e has put out comes close to touching Golarian. And monster-wise, PF has an enormous amount of foes to choose from, far surpassing the single Monster Manual's offerings. Finally, you can't buy legal pdfs of the 5e books, and the 5e SRD still holds some material back from the players, keeping it from being conveniently accessed online. PF has from its inception, provided full online support for all of their core rules, and allows even the non-core rules to be posted up as part of the OGL.

I really enjoy playing/running both. Latter additions to the PF ruleset have given me fatigue (I didn't want or need 3 new fear based conditions), but I ran a campaign for 5-6 years off of PF. 5e has been fun, but I don't see it blowing PF out of the water.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:46 pm 

I do expect and hope that 5e will prove less topheavy and quicker to run at high levels, by a mile or two.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16