Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Outside Ghastenhall
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:20 pm 

Quote:
Ghastenhall Base

In a shocking display of ingratitude to the Cardinal and Thrane's efforts to secure the Nessian Knot a comfortable safe-house, they have elected to hide their minions outside of the city instead. It took quite a bit of doing, and a couple of close calls with Talirean patrols (-1 Secrecy), but all of Belial's Bound are now holed up in a small, abandoned castle a day's ride from the city. Empty since its last heir died supporting the Barcans in Markadian's coup, Melrov and Schmidt are currently directing the Bound's efforts to restore it to habitability without arousing further suspicion. This involves a great deal of digging, and housing many of the troops in hurriedly-excavated underground chambers, expanded from the castle's cavernous basements. Provisioning may become a problem, requiring either an apparently-legitimate supply line, or risky raids of the surrounding countryside. Still, they are safe and hidden for the time being.

After the Knot has arrived and toured the site with Schmidt and Melrov, particularly the digging works where weary slaves toil to excavate their new home, Puella addresses the two men as they climb rough-cut stairs back towards the ground level.

"Our people have suffered much and labored hard these last months. For a time, out in the wilderness, they had hard labor and harsh treatment every day, with no end in sight. Now that we have emerged from the Horn, I wish that those who endured - even the least among us - could have a time of rest."

They emerge from the underground galleries back out into daylight. Argossarian waits in the castle courtyard, shielded from prying eyes, and the witch retrieves a bulky cloth-wrapped object, almost her size, from the saddlebags the dragon carries.

"Please announce to our people that we grant them their rest." she instructs Melrov. "I will carry on the work."

A glance in Gaerlan's direction. "I must ask to borrow your songbird for a time."

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Outside Ghastenhall
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:42 pm 

Gaerlan turns his attention from the ruins to the Witch, "So long as you don't let it fly away." He brushes dirt off his shoulder. "I for one would prefer another method. The castle is fine enough, but I would not have ours living in the darkness. They've done so once already within the Horn."

He waves over Schmit "I want a meaningful history of the castle, including previous owners before I go to meet with the Duke at the end of the week."

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:08 pm 

"Of course, sir. I shall repair to the Great Library at the earliest opportunity to seek out the records you desire." And no doubt a few tomes of his own interest, but it's hardly fair to expect a scholar to do otherwise.

A day or two later, he reports back. "The records were old and quite obscure sir, untouched for the past eight decades. I must say say, Herr Thrane was quite helpful in navigating the labyrinthine stacks, and quite interesting to speak with. A very learned man, unusually so for the devoted, if you will forgive my saying so."

"It seems the castle belonged to a succession of minor knights, never held in full title, always reverting to the Duke of Ghastenhall upon the tenant's death, and quickly handed out again. The last tenant was a... quite fervent supporter of the Barcan kings, and worshiper of the Dark Prince, and thus rather vehement in his denunciation of Markadian the First's rebellion. There was a small siege of this building, which accounts for a good deal of the damage. The knight, his name was blotted out from the records, made quite the final stand, and after his ascension, King Markadian declared the place ill-favored, due to the Asmodean chapel found within. Since then, no one has dared risk the King's displeasure by taking it up. It's been granted, bought and sold, and reverted back to the Duke a half-dozen times in the intervening years, but never occupied."

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:42 pm 

WarDragon wrote:
"Of course, sir. I shall repair to the Great Library at the earliest opportunity to seek out the records you desire." And no doubt a few tomes of his own interest, but it's hardly fair to expect a scholar to do otherwise.

A day or two later, he reports back. "The records were old and quite obscure sir, untouched for the past eight decades. I must say say, Herr Thrane was quite helpful in navigating the labyrinthine stacks, and quite interesting to speak with. A very learned man, unusually so for the devoted, if you will forgive my saying so."

"It seems the castle belonged to a succession of minor knights, never held in full title, always reverting to the Duke of Ghastenhall upon the tenant's death, and quickly handed out again. The last tenant was a... quite fervent supporter of the Barcan kings, and worshiper of the Dark Prince, and thus rather vehement in his denunciation of Markadian the First's rebellion. There was a small siege of this building, which accounts for a good deal of the damage. The knight, his name was blotted out from the records, made quite the final stand, and after his ascension, King Markadian declared the place ill-favored, due to the Asmodean chapel found within. Since then, no one has dared risk the King's displeasure by taking it up. It's been granted, bought and sold, and reverted back to the Duke a half-dozen times in the intervening years, but never occupied."

The report leaves Gaerlan in good spirits, and he has another mission for Schmit. "You are to delve into the libraries of Ghastenhall for the foreseeable future. Identify works of particular interest or merit, acquire copies if possible, and otherwise make note of their locations. I don't intend for anything to happen to Ghastenhall, but I'd be remiss if I allowed such a treasure to vanish entirely if something were to happen. I know that's asking a great deal, but I trust you can manage?"

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:03 pm 

"It will be my greatest of pleasure, sir Cimo," Schmidt says, with utmost sincerity. He's fairly salivating at the thought of spending days at a time in the Library.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:16 am 

Among other things, Irulen gathers a blood sample from each of the Knot's many minions, soldiers, assassins, and slaves. These are cataloged, labeled, and carefully stored.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:08 pm 

Aluroon wrote:
Gaerlan turns his attention from the ruins to the Witch, "So long as you don't let it fly away." He brushes dirt off his shoulder. "I for one would prefer another method. The castle is fine enough, but I would not have ours living in the darkness. They've done so once already within the Horn."

"There will be no flying where my work will take us. And I will look into alternatives, with Herr Schmidt, as soon as time allows." the witch promises.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:37 pm 

Soon, instead of being roused yet again to work in the tunnels, the weary and hungry slaves of the Knot find themselves confronted with something new. Instead of overseers making the rounds with whip and chain to assemble work gangs, the Knot's people waken to the smell of cooking fires and roasting meat wafting from long tables set up in the castle courtyard. Instead of long hours on lean rations, this day at least is full of leisure and plenty of humble but filling food - roasted buttered potatoes, fresh-baked black bread, hot soup with good meat in it. For the former Sisters in particular it is a sharp change from the starvation rations that sometimes prevailed in the Knot's jungle fortress.

Supervision is still omnipresent, but the soldiers of the Knot do not harass any who do not make trouble, and some mingling and conversation is allowed between slaves formerly assigned to different parts of the Horn. For many it may be the first time in months to speak with a friend, family member, or former comrade.

There are two, however, who are nowhere to be seen - Puella and Bianca. The Knot's people are given to understand that this holiday comes precisely because of this - the Red Witch has taken the work of all onto herself to allow this day of rest. Gossip has it that Puella is working some spell in the tunnels below - how else could one woman do the work of hundreds? As for the Songbird, likely relatively few here even know her, much less miss her.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:56 pm 

Below, the two women are alone. Bianca sits, holding a golden lyre strung with angel hair that shines faintly with its own light in the darkness. Puella stands, a shadowy black figure against the light. Her hands are on the other's shoulders, power flowing from the witch to the blind bard to sustain her playing no matter how weary the fingers may grow.

"Remember, Songbird," the witch had said at the beginning, "the longer we can play, the longer they can rest."

[Puella crafted a lyre of building during the voyage and is using it for the renovation/expansion work in order to allow everyone a holiday. Puella will stop Bianca if the latter manages to play for a double work day (16 hrs) - can't have the fingers falling off - but otherwise she'll try to get as much playing as she can, helping with many applications of heroism, bear's, etc. The lyre's effect is measured in half-hour increments and Bianca can pass the Perform check needed to extend the playing time on a natural 1.]

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:14 am 

Although the feasters are not harassed, they are certainly observed. This would not be the first time Puella has tried to offer a gentler approach - or at least a gentler alternative, to offset the overwhelming harshness that awaits defiance - but as she remarked to Dessiter, positive incentives are not her specialty. Will the Knot's slaves, ground down by torment and labor, react to this new bounty with gratitude and hope? Have some of the remaining Sisters had enough of the brutal responses to wilfulness, will the prospect of better treatment induce them to behave? Or will this gesture simply kindle new flames of resistance? And what of the many others now in the Knot's care, formerly of Farholde or the outlying villages?

Even though the witch herself toils below with Bianca, she has left orders, and expects a full report of her people's reaction.

[i.e., bump?]

Report this post