Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Epic BAB
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:50 am 

Greetings
I'm running Gates of Oblivion (modified since the group eats undead for breakfast) for my level 23 group and have run into a problem.
They are meeting Khayals among others but the problem is the base attack bonus.
One khayal is lvl 16 plus lvl 10 shadowdancer.
Genies have BAB as a fighter i.e. Khayal 16, shadow dancer 7 and epic +2 = BAB 25
My players claim that BAB stops at 20 and from there you only get +1 per 2 epic levels and I think it is so wrong but can't find rules to support my view. Yes I can house rule but already having a 16 pages house rule document it would be nice to be able to back up my sense of rightness with an official ruling.
Can someone here back me up (hopefully) or do I have to make yet one more house rule.
Thanks in advance
Tamara

Post subject: Re: Epic, Mythic and the Divine
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:40 am 
Site Admin

I am unsure which ruleset you are running, and this seems to be its own question, not a comment on the material. However, here is my best answer.

In 3.0 and 3.5, base attack for creature HD continued in epic as it did prior. So a 30HD outsider has +30 BaB.
Base attack for class levels stopped after 20 class levels, and then provided +1 per two levels. So a 30th level fighter has +25 BaB.

Those do not cancel each other out. If you have a 10HD outsider and 30 fighter class levels, you have +35 BaB. (10+25) If you have a 10th level fighter and 30 outsider HD, you have +40 BaB. (10+30)

You do not use outsider (or any other type) HD for consideration to determine whether a creature has reached 'epic attack bonus'. Only class levels.

Iterative attacks cap at four no matter how high your BaB is.

So your Khayal shadowdancer, assuming it is a 16 HD outsider and 10th level shadowdancer, has a BaB of 16+7=23.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:12 pm 

Sorry twice :|
I should have asked if this was the right forum for my question and if not to be moved but my eyes were glued to the word Epic.
I should of course have mentioned I use 3.5 with a small dose of PF and my homerules.
Anyway you have answered my question
Thank you
Tamara

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

No apologies necessary. I could move the question myself if I weren't so lazy. Glad I could help.

I think your original calculation included the shadow dancer BaB of 7, the HD BaB of 16 AND an epic attack bonus for being 23rd level? You don't get the epic attack bonus until after you hit 20 class levels, and you stop getting a BaB at that point as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:39 am 

Hi Kain
You are right I did include the +2 for epic level.
I was under the impression that once you reached lvl 21 as a character/opponent you added the epic progression to whatever else BAB but now I know better.
Thanks again
Tamara