Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Rumors in the Lord's Dalliance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:52 am 

1. Have you ever been to the choir hall of Balentyne? Amazing! The priests are such beautiful singers and sometimes the stone saints that adorn the place join in the chorus. Such a miracle!

2. Mad Martin is a strange one! He tends the rookery in the Watchtower. They say he never leaves except for necessities. He talks to the birds like people and has named every one!

3. Lord Havelyn is a good soul but so grim and gloomy. For so great a lord to be unhappy, he must be guilty about something!

4. That Captain Zack Eddarly is a handsome one, isn’t he? Such a gallant! And still unmarried at his age. He’ll make some lady of proper breeding quite a catch won’t he?

5. Balentyne’s magister, that creepy Tacitus, has been spending a lot of time working on something in his tower! I don’t know what it is, but it’s said that something unnatural was recovered from the north.

6. Ye Merrie Men are coming to town and the hand-some William Marcus Marlow is coming with them! Can you believe it? The Bard of Barrington! Here! They are doing the “Fall of Am-berlyn”! Oh, I can’t wait!

7. They say the bugbears are massing up north. I wonder what their up to? Well, it doesn’t matter! We’ll be ready for ‘em! You’d think those shaggy walking carpets would have learned by now that the Watch Wall is unbreakable!

8. Soldiers today! A worthless, shiftless lot! Balentyne is in total disarray. Soldiers today are too lazy – not like in my day.

9. There’s a pack of dwarves in town led by a grumpy short fellow named Barnabus Eisenbauch. They’re here to fix up the watchtower or so I’ve heard. A hard working fellow -- just don’t challenge him to a drinking contest. He’ll drink you under the table every time!

10. I’ve heard that Father Donnagin was sent here after the church demoted him from bishop. He got into some sort of trouble – serious trouble I’d wager to be banished to the Watch Wall.

11. Bellam Barhold is such a lush. He does enjoy his wine. He’s always complaining about how he can’t get any of the good stuff here in the borderlands.

12. Have you seen Kaitlyn Mott? She’s the most beautiful woman in town! How did an ugly lump of a man like Captain Franz Mott bag a looker like her? And how does he keep her, that’s what I want to know!

13. Have you had any of Mama Guisseppe’s beef stew? Delicious! I hear she goes up to the Watch-tower and cooks a big batch of it for the men every Monday! What a nice old lady.

14. Those dwarves are a thieving lot! I heard one of them was caught picking a man’s pocket.

15. Lord Thomas Havelyn is the most honorable and capable commander that Balentyne has ever had. If he can’t keep the Watch Wall working, then no one can!

16. Did you hear about prisoners escaping from Branderscar? Were they ever caught?

17. Here’s to the soldiers of Balentyne! One hundred of the finest fighting men it’s ever been my privilege to serve with.

18. I hear Captain Varning is leading another patrol out tomorrow. I wonder how long they’ll be gone this time? The last time they were gone for five days! If you ask me, these patrols are a waste of time. They’re just an excuse for Varning to get out of the tower and gallivant around the country side instead of doing his fair share of guard duty.

19. I hear a raven arrived at the rookery last night! I bet it carried important news though I know not
about what.

20. Do you know how the Lord’s Dalliance got its name? It was once a brothel! I hear there used to be a secret passage to the basement that allowed the Lord of the Watchtower to sneak in here and have a good time. Of course it must have been sealed up years ago.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Rumors in the Lord's Dalliance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:30 am 

OOC: Feel free to use this as a limited pbp thread, for trying to butter up specific people for further information. That will require additional checks, at higher DC than 10.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:02 am 

Puella's map:

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:12 am 

Between Puella's disguise as a servant, and Lucavi's disguise as an officer cadet, you pretty much know the layout of the tower, if not details of all the rooms.

1. The Dwarven Vault, to which the hidden passage connects. Dusty and used for storing emergency rations.
2. Armory. Lots of weapons, fully functional forge usually being worked to repair gear.
3-6. Captains' quarters. Kept locked, servants are not allowed inside.
7. Toilet.
8. Main thoroughfare. Various people coming and going constantly. Several guards and servants present at any given time, chance of someone important.
8a. Servant's entrance. Kept open during the day, but two guards posted at all times.
8b. Pontine gate.
9. Barracks. Never empty; occupied either by sleeping guards at night, or loiterers between shifts. 3 guards at all times; inside during the day, outside at night. Beds for 120 guards.
10. Kitchens. Very busy.
11. Pantry. Holds enough for a day or two, frequently refilled from town.
12. Mess hall. Usually a few guards present, but packed when Mama Giuseppe is cooking.
13. Storeroom. Flammable, but frequently visited.
14-17. Priests' cells, vestiary, shrine.
18. The bridge. Spans River Tyburn, highly strategic crossing. Dwarven stonework. Buckets dropped from bridge supply the tower with water.
18a. Drawbridge.
19-21. Gatehouse. Includes two storerooms with provisions and cistern for additional water. Servants do not come here often.
22. Aldencross gate. Patrols ride out through here, official visitors enter. Two guards.
23a. Seal of Balentyne. This great stone emblem is one of Balentyne's most prominent features. Two guards beside it.
24. Bridge of Death.
25. Gatehouse level 2. Two guards with bows, cauldron of hot sand to dump through murder hole, four dwarves working during the day. Portcullis raised and lowered from here. Door to 24 usually open for ventilation.
26. Choir Hall. Center of worship, home of "singing saints." Clergy gathers to sing daily, perform a great ceremony weekly, attended by half the off-duty guards and all leaders.
27. Fountains and courtyards.
27a. Discipline platform. Rarely used.
28. Statue of Markadian I called the Victorious.
29. Storage shed. Unlocked.
30. Stables.
31. Great Hall.
32. Flag room.
33. Gatehouse Battlements. Armed with siege weapons, always patrolled by four guards and one captain. During the day, Eisenbauch and four dwarves are at work.
34. Guardroom/Hall of Honor. Two guards, walls carved with names of all who have died in Balentyne's defense. Stone cap can block stairs to great hall.
35. Prison. Currently empty.
37. Currently empty; guards don't like to talk about it.
38. Tower 3rd level; archer strongpoint. Thousands of racked arrows.
39. Upper guardroom. Two guards at all times.
40-41. Magister's lab and quarters.
42. Rookery guard room. Two guards.
43. Rookery. Hundreds of messenger ravens. Door locked; Mad Martin leaves only for meals and worship.
44. Landing. Two guards at all times.
45. Guest room. Well furnished, currently unoccupied.
46-47. Lord's chambers. No entry without permission.
48. Keep's roof. Trebuchet, currently inoperable, under repair by two dwarves during day. Three guards permanently posted.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:35 pm 

OK. So, an infiltration focused organization of this information: potential objective areas ---- known fixed barriers that stand in their way ---- likely solutions.

Let me know if you notice any mistakes or have more to add.

Captain's rooms ---- locked and near, though not on, main thoroughfare 8 ---- pick locks while under invisibility, with lookout posted so that the burglar doesn't open the door to come back out while someone is passing through

Soldiers' sleeping quarters ---- three guards posted at all times, opens onto main thoroughfare 8 (two guards also posted at 8a) ---- disguise can get us in much earlier, but as a major target to e.g. murder guards in their sleep, likely left for the final assault if practical then.

Kitchens ---- very busy and opens onto main thoroughfare with three guards plus two at 8a ---- simple disguise likely sufficient for poisoning Mama's stew

Priests' rooms ---- only way in is through hall 8 and barracks 9 (see above) ---- may be too dangerous to infiltrate early for assassination or similar given the location next to many sleeping/loitering guards. Drawing out would be superior.

Gatehouse, portcullis and drawbridge ---- 3+2 guards posted to 8 adjacent, two guards posted at 25 (murder holes), 4 guards, captain, 5 dwarves at 33 (gatehouse roof) ---- should likely save till among the last targets, at which point improvise (many defenders may be gone by this point). Perhaps disguise, perhaps straight combat; circumstances will depend on our prior successes or failures.

Seal of Balentyne ---- two guards posted ---- why is this guarded 24/7? Investigate.

Keep level 3 (magister's quarters and way to level 4) ---- entry through Great Hall (31), then Hall of Honor (34) with two guards, then 36 9missing description?), then Upper Guardroom (39) with two more guards. Possible magely wards on/past door ---- invisibility may be a good way to get up to and past level 3 on the stairs, but guards would likely have to be considered in order to get through the magister's door (disguise would be unlikely since he is not sociable, though perhaps we could deliver his dinner and slip someone invisible inside). Alternate possibility is flying or spider climbing if we level/find scrolls/whatever, since the magister's quarters are known to have windows. Drawing out may be superior, or Killiketz might also be of further help.

Keep level 4 (lord's chambers and route to roof) ---- entry through Great Hall (31), then Hall of Honor (34) with two guards, then 36 (missing description), then Upper Guardroom (39) with two more guards, then Landing (44) with two more guards, possible additional defenses past door ---- Getting in would likely require dealing with guards; as above.

Keep roof (trebuchet and guard post) ---- as above plus three guards and two dwarves stationed on roof ---- invisibility would likely be sufficient to get all the way to the roof, as would disguise as a guard shift or dwarf.

Rookery tower ---- entry through armory (2) with workers, then 32 (Flag Room), then 38 (arrow stockpile - may also be of import), then 42 (Rookery guard room) with two guards. Rookery is locked and entry disallowed ---- entry at second level (32) from 27 could bypass armory, but the guards at 42 might need to be either dealt with or to be us in disguise (or both) in order to pull this off. 42 looks like a pretty isolated guard post, but we would still want to be quick and quiet so as not to tip off Mad Martin.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:32 pm 

36 is just a stairwell.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:39 am 
Site Admin

WarDragon wrote:
1. Have you ever been to the choir hall of Balentyne? Amazing! The priests are such beautiful singers and sometimes the stone saints that adorn the place join in the chorus. Such a miracle!

2. Mad Martin is a strange one! He tends the rookery in the Watchtower. They say he never leaves except for necessities. He talks to the birds like people and has named every one!

3. Lord Havelyn is a good soul but so grim and gloomy. For so great a lord to be unhappy, he must be guilty about something!

4. That Captain Zack Eddarly is a handsome one, isn’t he? Such a gallant! And still unmarried at his age. He’ll make some lady of proper breeding quite a catch won’t he?

5. Balentyne’s magister, that creepy Tacitus, has been spending a lot of time working on something in his tower! I don’t know what it is, but it’s said that something unnatural was recovered from the north.

6. Ye Merrie Men are coming to town and the hand-some William Marcus Marlow is coming with them! Can you believe it? The Bard of Barrington! Here! They are doing the “Fall of Am-berlyn”! Oh, I can’t wait!

7. They say the bugbears are massing up north. I wonder what their up to? Well, it doesn’t matter! We’ll be ready for ‘em! You’d think those shaggy walking carpets would have learned by now that the Watch Wall is unbreakable!

8. Soldiers today! A worthless, shiftless lot! Balentyne is in total disarray. Soldiers today are too lazy – not like in my day.

9. There’s a pack of dwarves in town led by a grumpy short fellow named Barnabus Eisenbauch. They’re here to fix up the watchtower or so I’ve heard. A hard working fellow -- just don’t challenge him to a drinking contest. He’ll drink you under the table every time!

10. I’ve heard that Father Donnagin was sent here after the church demoted him from bishop. He got into some sort of trouble – serious trouble I’d wager to be banished to the Watch Wall.

11. Bellam Barhold is such a lush. He does enjoy his wine. He’s always complaining about how he can’t get any of the good stuff here in the borderlands.

12. Have you seen Kaitlyn Mott? She’s the most beautiful woman in town! How did an ugly lump of a man like Captain Franz Mott bag a looker like her? And how does he keep her, that’s what I want to know!

13. Have you had any of Mama Guisseppe’s beef stew? Delicious! I hear she goes up to the Watch-tower and cooks a big batch of it for the men every Monday! What a nice old lady.

14. Those dwarves are a thieving lot! I heard one of them was caught picking a man’s pocket.

15. Lord Thomas Havelyn is the most honorable and capable commander that Balentyne has ever had. If he can’t keep the Watch Wall working, then no one can!

16. Did you hear about prisoners escaping from Branderscar? Were they ever caught?

17. Here’s to the soldiers of Balentyne! One hundred of the finest fighting men it’s ever been my privilege to serve with.

18. I hear Captain Varning is leading another patrol out tomorrow. I wonder how long they’ll be gone this time? The last time they were gone for five days! If you ask me, these patrols are a waste of time. They’re just an excuse for Varning to get out of the tower and gallivant around the country side instead of doing his fair share of guard duty.

19. I hear a raven arrived at the rookery last night! I bet it carried important news though I know not
about what.

20. Do you know how the Lord’s Dalliance got its name? It was once a brothel! I hear there used to be a secret passage to the basement that allowed the Lord of the Watchtower to sneak in here and have a good time. Of course it must have been sealed up years ago.

1. Under investigation
2. Done
3. Unconfirmed, unlikely to be true or matter
4. Done
5. Done
6. Awaiting
7. Near completion
8. Near completion
9. Targeted for completion
10. Done
11. Done
12. Done