Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Sweet Dreams (Week 18)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:33 am 

Only after he has settled his interest the matter of Elise and the possible parentage of her child does Gaerlan tear himself away to see to other pressing business. He gatherd the Knot as interested and makes for the top of the Horn once more to meet with Ezra. Arissa's corpse still rots in the entrance to the level where he ordered it left the day before. The smell is overwhelming, but Gaerlan pays it little attention, girdled as he is in unholy powers.

He calls forth the shade once more, reviewing his array of lesser wraiths before getting to the point, "Your sister is troubling the dreams of mine. She claims you know some secret of her return." He smiles in part, thinking of the vision of her begging. "Apparently the afterlife is not to her liking. What ritual does she speak of Shade? Speak plainly in this matter. If the Horsemen are so rankled I would know their will."

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Sweet Dreams (Week 18)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:46 am 

Ezra takes his time in appearing, and examines Arissa's corpse before replying to the Knot. "Yes... the Horsemen rarely grant prayers to return the dead to life, as I am sure you know. Charon is loath to let a soul slip his grasp, and other powers fear to let them reach for their followers' souls. But there are other ways..."

"We had a ritual, rarely used. It was considered too dangerous, too costly, to invoke often. It was never inscribed in the hall of murals, like those lesser summonings," the wraith says, waving dismissively at the hellhound by Gaerlan's side. "The sacrifice required is great, but no more than you have made already in bringing the Horn to its present state, and when she returns, Arissa's power shall be greater than ever. If you are ready, I can teach it to you now, or I can aid in its performance myself."

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:24 pm 

"What sacrifices?" Gaerlan circles Ezra, pacing around the undead priest. "And what manner of return?" he asks warily. He ignores the buzzing flies around Arissa's corpse and the gagging smell.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:31 pm 

The masked witch is present, unmoving in contrast to Gaerlan, in the shadows of the vaulted third-floor entry.

"Gaerlan speaks for me as well. The Knot of Thorns should understand this task before choosing whether to accept it. Tell us what is needed - and what will come of it."

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:11 pm 

<Gaerlan> "What sacrifices?" Gaerlan circles Ezra, pacing around the undead priest. "And what manner of return?" he asks warily. He ignores the buzzing flies around Arissa's corpse and the gagging smell.

<Gaerlan> The masked witch is present, unmoving in contrast to Gaerlan, in the shadows of the vaulted third-floor entry.

<Gaerlan> "Gaerlan speaks for me as well. The Knot of Thorns should understand this task before choosing whether to accept it. Tell us what is needed - and what will come of it."

<GM>Ezra floats in place, not deigning to follow Gaerlan's movements, though his spawn - including the newest one, granted him after Arissa's murder - make a larger ring around them all. "Wealth. Icons of enemy faiths, or items of power. Living souls, to balance the scales for a potent servant."

<Gaerlan> "And in return the Horsemen cough her back up to us, whole and hale?" Gaerlan's sarcasm is obvious.

<GM>"Her return... she will not be as she was. Though the ritual can call her back, it will not be as one of the living. She will keep her mind and her powers, but beyond that... her form, even whether her spirit floats freely as mine, or wears her flesh once more, will be in the Horsemen's hands."

<Gaerlan> "Another undead priest of the Horsemen." Gaerlan spits.

<GM>"Do you despise me so, when those same gifts empower you, to a smaller extent? And would you rather not gain some favor, than suffer their wrath... or wait to see if she returns on her own?"

<Gaerlan> "I despise what you are, not who you are Ezra, you know that. In another life," there is a stressing on the word, "No doubt we might have been the best of friends." There is a bit of teasing to his tone.

<GM>"Perhaps," the wraith says. "Or the bitterest rivals. It is hard to tell the difference, in both of our faiths."

<GM>"But if Arissa returns by this method, she will be as much your ally as ever."

<Gaerlan> A laugh, "So reassuring. Still, your point is taken. I too might even cling to the hand that drew me from the afterlife."

<GM>The wraith nods. "Fools are they who rush heedless to the next world. Are we agreed, then, that Arissa is to be brought back from beyond the veil?"

<Gaerlan> Gaerlan glances at Puella, then back, "In principle perhaps, though the cost must be more fully articulated."

<GM>"Of course..." The wraith expounds for some time.

Mechanically, the ritual costs 5k gp, at least half of which must be made up of magic items, or icons/relics of non-evil religions. It also requires that living, non-evil, sentient beings be sacrificed to the Horsemen, with total HD at least equal to the target.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:30 pm 

"The Horsemen want much for little. It seems like this route might well gain us a second Ezra." is Puella's verdict once the pair are back out in the sunlight.

"If we must return her, then let me try a different path. There is no healer in Heaven or Hell more gifted than my Lord. Even death is not beyond Him."

Report this post