Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Gape Wide the Gates of Hell
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:22 am 

Not long after the Hibernian Knot's defeat, a moonless midnight finds the witch in the lower levels of the Horn, the libraries. A summoning circle, painstakingly hand-inscribed by her acolytes under the watchful eye of Herr Schmidt, awaits her final inspection.

Now acolytes and the Herr both are allowed to witness the culmination of their work, the great spell that can breach the veils of the world and call forth beings from the afterlife to bind into the witch's service. Names culled from the forbidden tomes the Abbey once held locked away now wait to be tested.

Spirits of wine mingled with Puella's own blood are spilled to lend the spell power as Puella's magic reaches across the void, her incantation building ever so slowly into a crescendo, power from the Red Witch and the Mask to create a mystic link, to draw open, ever so briefly, the Gates of Hell.

As the spell reaches its climax, every torch and lamp in the room dies, and all gathered are plunged into darkness, save for the faint red light shining from the Mask itself. A light which reveals....

[DC 23 Will saves for four barbazu]

The witch's words, in the sacred tongue of Hell, for any who answer the call of her magic are brief.

"Many a conjurer might attempt to entice you with rewards to put aside your duties to the King. I will treat with you otherwise. I offer only one reward: the knowledge that you will serve, not the ambitions of some self-centered conjurer, but the sacred cause of the King's war. I will not take you from your duties to answer my whim, but rather I will make you my partners in the duty I shoulder in His name. For as I am the High Priestess of Belial in Talingarde, so in His name do I demand your service. As I serve the High Priest of the First King in Talingarde, so in His name do I demand your service. In the First King's name, war has been declared upon the nation of Talingarde. I bind, compel, and adjure you: serve me and mine as our soldiers in our endeavors, aid us in our goals and protect us against our foes, and lay low in battle all who would challenge us as we prosecute His war."

Links:

Barbazu statistics
Puella's opposed Charisma checks to coerce service (unmodified)

[Puella is employing a lesser planar binding in a pre-engraved circle enhanced with a calling diagram and dimensional anchor. She is attempting to call and bind four barbazu.

The DC to avoid being drawn into the binding is a DC 23 Will save. SR does not apply. For any barbazu that fail their save:
The barbazu cannot attempt to break the circle with Spell Resistance (due to diagram).
The barbazu cannot attempt to leave the circle with dimensional travel (due to diagram) for nine days, after which the dimensional barrier will expire.
The barbazu can attempt a DC 25 Charisma check once per day to break free of the circle. A natural 20 is not an automatic success.

What I need from you, WD:

-Roll will saves against the spell and determine how many barbazu are called. Puella can cast up to four bindings a day, and if she doesn't capture 4 on the first day, she will recast on the next day till she has 4 barbazu trapped.
-Assign a bonus of +0 to +6 to Puella's opposed Charisma checks (pre-bonus results linked above) based on a) the nature of the service and b) any reward.
-Roll opposed Charisma checks for the barbazu to determine whether she can coerce them into service.
-Roll unopposed Charisma checks for the barbazu to break free, or you can skip this check since they have low Charisma and the DC is beyond them on a natural 20.
-Note that any natural 1s (none yet) on Puella's Charisma checks will result in the called creature braeking free of the circle.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Gape Wide the Gates of Hell
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:40 pm 

In response to Puella's power, three bearded devils are dragged across the Void, cursing her foully in the Infernal tongue. They listen sullenly to her offer, and share a quick glance among themselves. A long moment stretches out, before their apparent spokesman addresses her aloud in the same language.

"Thou art presumptuous, witch, to call us from the eternal battlefields of the Blood War to aid in thy puny mortal struggle. Belial is no Lord of ours, we soldiers of First General Bael. Not to mention thy rudeness in leaving out the customary sacrifice..." All three look at the gathered acolytes hungrily, clutching their glaives. "But, thou doth make pious noises well enough. And Talingarde, forsooth? Favored country of the loathsome Mitra?" The devils spit on the ground, in unison, at the mention of that name. "Aye, to the slaughter and desecration of his minions, gladly shall we lend our aid. Release us, and we shall be on detached duty to thy cause."

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:03 am 

Puella has summoned more barbazu since then, Dear Readers. Nine merciless soldiers of Bael now obey the witch's every command.

But she is not the only denizen of the Horn who will be making a compact to Hell. No - for the witch's will brings Elise to the summoning circle one midnight, weeks, perhaps even a month or more after Puella burned Elise's previous familiar alive and let the Mask drink in the smoke.

Puella and Gaerlan are both waiting when the witch arrives, and Elise finds that the witch's control relaxes enough for her to speak. Or is that itself one of the witch's commands - to speak her mind? After weeks of servitude enslaved to the mind of another, the difference between freedom and slavery can start to... blur.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:16 am 

Gaerlan is well dressed, as always. Tonight, unusually, he has chosen reds and blacks, rather than his usual blues. He looks more the part of a hellish alter boy, but he is far from an initiate. Silvery armor gleams in the darkness.

That charming smile she's seen so many times before, "Good evening Elise. I understand you've decided to embrace the Father Below. I'm very proud, and I'm eager to see what manner of servant the Father Below will send you." Gaerlan's touch is so unlike Puella's harsh treatment. He's the gentle hand on her cheek. The blanket in the night.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:54 am 

Elise takes full advantage of the opportunity to speak freely for the first time since her capture. "I embrace... necessity, as always. You have made it quite clear," she says to Puella, "what the results of summoning a truly suitable companion would be, therefore I must accept what is available. Frankly, I've no idea whether it will even work."

Report this post