Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shattered Star Feedback
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:40 pm 

Feedback for 2/12 and 2/26

I missed most of the first session, so not a whole lot to say on it. Was some nice background on the artifacts we're chasing, and it was a huge temptation not to reel off the sins that correspond to the "virtues" they supposedly go with. I don't think Phaedra would make the connection just yet. Kari did a good job with the shard's influence.

Tonight's session was pretty short, but it's always fun to get into some draconic combat. Phaedra's a really versatile character, and different from Heinrick or the blasting sorcerers I play often. Forcing myself to get creative, like with the grease spell, even when it doesn't work. Looking forward to chasing down Blondie. It's also a big change of pace for me to play an unabashedly selfish character; even my villains are typically serving what they feel is a higher cause, rather than just going for fame and fortune, not caring who gets in the way.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:47 pm 

That combat was probably more harsh than it was written to be (though I suppose we're also more powerful by a not-insignificant margin, too). Two on four was a pretty rough time, and I figure the original adventure, written for four players, intended it to be four vs four. Hopefully we'll fare better when Kari can join us.

Kinda wish I'd used an ear-piercing scream on that last round instead, but it is what it is. Something to remember for next time.

Reminded once again that tanglefoot bags are nasty at this level of play. Was hoping we'd get our hands on some.

The treasure does emphasize that this party is likely to end up selling a lot of the loot we get – weapons and armor aren't really something Kari or Phaedra need, and they're the wrong sizes for Alfie.

I totally wasn't expecting to see grease come into play, and while it didn't pan out, it was a nice surprise, and if it had worked, the timing was perfect.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:31 am 

Phaedra will probably take one of the chain shirts. As a fashion statement if nothing else. Gold, you know...

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:43 pm 

I’m glad you enjoyed getting some lore and background. Hitting that middle ground between giving out info without giving out too much info is difficult, and I’m not sure I struck the right balance there.

In terms of this combat there was a lot that played into that battle being such a slugfest. In particular, the numbers as you observe Glab didn’t favor you. Lacking the person you lacked (Kari) too also hurt, because you lost your go to source of area damage that could have easily cleared out the relatively weak enemies in tight quarters.

Your tactics as a whole were hit or miss. Yelling out when you saw the wererat downstairs set you up for the fight on the stairs which led to the guards upstairs not being caught unawares. As it was you got lucky and managed to catch her on the stairs behind some good rolls. Had you tried to cut her off first, then fought her, you could have caught the upstairs guards playing cards, and maybe even been able to jump them with a couple summons out.

As it was though, sending the bird in first saved you guys a lot of pain, as did closing. With 4 crossbows and available cover they could have put a serious hurting on you at a distance. Splitting up your attacks onto 3 people at a time, in contrast, didn’t help you. Had you focused your fire more aggressively (especially against the weaker foes, rather than your blond foe) you might have spared yourself a lot of flank sneak attacks.

As to treasure, keep in mind this is pretty early in the adventure. Give it time and get deeper into the teeth of the adventure. Also keep in mind your unusual party composition.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:24 am 

While I generally tried to focus on the injured ones first, once it became clear their AC was at least 16 and I'd need to roll a 9 or better to hit, I decided to stick with targeting the ones I could flank, as that improved my chances of landing a hit by 10%, especially since, unlike Phaedra, Alfie doesn't get multiple attacks per round.

While I did consider slingshotting the tower girl who retreated to tanglefoot Phaedra, I couldn't move into a position where Alfie could get a clear shot at her, due to the angles and corners. Which was a pretty smart tactical decision, on her part.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:31 pm 

Owing to leave and travel, we will not play this weekend on March 12th. The game will resume on 26 March.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:26 pm 

I wrote out feedback in a document that I have consistently every day for a week and a half forgotten to email to my home computer. At this point I figure it's time I gave up on my memory and just rewrote it.

...****, I was sincerely about to sit down to rewrite it after that intro note but now I can't remember what I wrote either...

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:20 pm 

Feedback for 3/26/17

That was a pretty intense game. The rope navigation puzzle wasn't immediately obvious, but not too difficult once the dice cooperated. Obviously, the big fight was the main feature of the session.

You've said more than once you thought we were all dead once we charged in. I have to admit, for a moment there, I thought the same. It was definitely won by the skin of our teeth, kinda literally in Phae's case. Honestly, given our resources at the time, I'm struggling to think of an alternative we could have done. I was on my very last summon, had no offensive spells and only one spell slot left. They were far better prepared for ranged combat than we were, with only Alfie's sling and an unfused Phaedra's crossbow, maybe a couple of cantrips. I feel like getting into a shooting match with them, even from cover, would only have resulted in us getting slowly worn down.

The Intimidate checks definitely saved our asses in that one, even if it led to longer term problems later. Kind of a recurring theme for adventurers everywhere, isn't it?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:23 am 

Feedback for last time:

-I enjoyed the RP and background. One caveat though is that while I don't think this party has any qualms about going after magic items on general principles, I do think that the IC motivation to do so right now was a bit thin. Presumably we will try to break the curse at some point, but we haven't had much talk of that yet or idea of how to do it, so the impetus to court more powerful curses seems a little shaky. That said, we have characters that are inclined to be interested regardless, so it's kind of academic.

Speaking of curses, I don't know why you were all so suspicious of Kari. There are no curses on Kari, I triple guarantee you.

From the sound of it I guess I missed an ideal blasting situation. Alas...

This week's feedback to come. A comment I will append to last week's, though, is that there was some question of hit points in the current fight and whether to apply leftover damage from last week. Are we still using reserve points? If so that would have taken care of it, but I'm not exactly sure whether we're adopting Kain's house rules wholesale or a la carte.

Following on from that, it might be good to maintain a campaign-specific list. I'm not sure that the approach of incorporating Kain's houserules by reference and then posting only differences from those served Wicked well... it seems like a lot of rules in the former category would get forgotten or applied inconsistently. Might be a decent medium-term goal to put together a campaign list. Thoughts?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:52 pm 

Coriat wrote:
Feedback for last time:

-I enjoyed the RP and background. One caveat though is that while I don't think this party has any qualms about going after magic items on general principles, I do think that the IC motivation to do so right now was a bit thin. Presumably we will try to break the curse at some point, but we haven't had much talk of that yet or idea of how to do it, so the impetus to court more powerful curses seems a little shaky. That said, we have characters that are inclined to be interested regardless, so it's kind of academic.

Yeah, I kinda agree here. I'm willing to make sacrifices to move the plot along, but this was a bit thin.

Quote:
Speaking of curses, I don't know why you were all so suspicious of Kari. There are no curses on Kari, I triple guarantee you.

That's just what a cursed person would say!

Quote:
This week's feedback to come. A comment I will append to last week's, though, is that there was some question of hit points in the current fight and whether to apply leftover damage from last week. Are we still using reserve points? If so that would have taken care of it, but I'm not exactly sure whether we're adopting Kain's house rules wholesale or a la carte.

Following on from that, it might be good to maintain a campaign-specific list. I'm not sure that the approach of incorporating Kain's houserules by reference and then posting only differences from those served Wicked well... it seems like a lot of rules in the former category would get forgotten or applied inconsistently. Might be a decent medium-term goal to put together a campaign list. Thoughts?

Agreed many times over.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next