Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Gates of Hell and Mythic Adventures
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

KingCrazyGenius wrote:
Would you forsee a template of any sort being necessary? Even if just a fairly minor one that notes shared resistances, immunities, weaknesses, and other powers?

Not a template. I prefer a design formula, akin to demon princes in Dungeon or Pathfinder, which does what you describe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:09 am 

That's probably what I meant.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:21 pm 

Kain Darkwind wrote:
Not a template. I prefer a design formula, akin to demon princes in Dungeon or Pathfinder, which does what you describe.

Preach it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:19 am 

Oley a new question - What about Malefircarim? They were born of the Overlord's blood as well. Will they possess MR? If so, why won't mephisto or Dispater? They were Hellspawns to begin with, before their ascension to Lordship.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:48 am 
Site Admin

I would not do the malefircarim as mythic if I did the Nessians as it. I would want to differentiate between the Baatorians and Baatezu, even if working within the Gates of Hell layout.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:50 am 

They were an accidental creation, so I would say no. Aesmadeva and friends were intentionally imbued with mythic power, but we clearly see that most pit fiends do not possess any such thing. But ultimately mythic or not is a distinction that doesn't matter to over 99% of the cosmos.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:23 pm 

Mmm... If I got things right, the new 'cap' you envision (I know you hate this cap thing but I'll nag you anyway) is 40, correct? So a 40/10 mythic party would be able to take a 45 CR challenge. Will you change the CR's accordingly, or leave as is? It does mean that such a party would take Iomaeda or Bahamut or even Iblis with ease as currently built

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:33 pm 

You speak of a 40 level 10 mythic party so blithely. In such a cosmic framework only a handful of such mortals would exist, and if they work together then yes the Great Wheel would creak and shutter beneath their footfalls.

Imagine how quickly the cosmos would change if, say, Demogorgon and Pazuzu formed a permanent alliance.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:34 pm 

Most of the numbers pitched on this thread tend to assume, as Kain says early on, that the cap is 30/10. I prefer 40/10, and if you go with 40/10 you should probably scale the numbers upward.

That said... KCG mostly has the right of it. Whatever your most powerful possible 'mortal' is (and calling a capped out on mythic character mortal is questionable), generally speaking they are hideously / miraculously rare. I would never envision a party of capped PCs just arising and stomping across the cosmos. A capped mortal is the kind of thing that arises once in the history of a given world under very specific circumstances. More often beings that even begin to approach that level of power become gods.

On the path to that 'capped' status, a given individual almost certainly becomes vastly more important and influential than most games are capable of representing. They aren't just capable of rubbing shoulders with gods or ruling nations - they are capable of shaping the destiny of an entire world. They take post-apocalyptic worlds and turn them into paradises. They fight off the end of days. They overthrow pantheons. They are so powerful individually that analogues in other media are difficult to find. The Dominator from the Black Company might have been a capped out mortal, but I struggle to think of individuals beyond that. Rand (Wheel of Time) with the Choedan Kal might approach one in power. Think beyond godlike power - except the greater gods.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:52 pm 

KCG - your argument invalid for my question due to 2 reasons:
1. This all hypothetical to begin with.
2. Kain has alread used the 30/10 cap as a reference - meaning that he also had these numbers in mind when deciding the CRs. If the cap rises by 10 levels the question that rises is wether he aimed at this soecific level or for the 'cap' when deciding on th suggested CRs

That aside, I agree with everything you bothh said

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next