Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: The perfect stalemate (feedback)
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:23 am 
Site Admin

Thanks. Normally those references would be fresh in the mind from the previous article - or so I thought. Do you think that it is still hard to follow with that in mind?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:49 pm 

No, that helped considerably (turns out I had forgotten about the Pact Road thing entirely, thus a good deal of my confusion).

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:15 pm 

Re-read the entire thing. I like it, very well thought out as a piece of fluff, though I'd expect no less from you, Selah. Reminds me of a Stratfor article written in D&D, heh.

One thing might bear mentioning; I assume that Cania has similar anti-teleport protections to Maladomini, but they aren't spoken of anywhere. Was that intentional?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:00 am 
Site Admin

WarDragon wrote:
Re-read the entire thing. I like it, very well thought out as a piece of fluff, though I'd expect no less from you, Selah. Reminds me of a Stratfor article written in D&D, heh.

I think that was the inspiration when I started it so very long ago... And thankyou.

Quote:
One thing might bear mentioning; I assume that Cania has similar anti-teleport protections to Maladomini, but they aren't spoken of anywhere. Was that intentional?

I think the Mephistaran Gambit commentary makes a brief, indirect mention of teleportation trapping. I said a while back that IMO most planar rulers take advantage of anti-teleportation strategies. Severing astral links would constitute the smallest aspect of that.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:41 am 
Site Admin

What I like the most about this is the nostalgia. It takes me back to a time when Dicefreaks was a place to passionately argue motivations, hypotheticals, 'who would wins' and internal monologue of some of the most famous cosmic entities in the game.

Who even really recalls what a Shadowbane Stalker is? I'm sure it's something from one of the Complete Divine/Champion books, probably a divine assassin or rogue. But that's not really what is compelling about Beelzebub. Rather it is in that opening story, the unfolding plot, the dismissive attitude towards Surgat, the "I do not 'ask', I will command." And that is what was compelling about Dicefreaks. This reminds me of that.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Kain Darkwind wrote:
What I like the most about this is the nostalgia. It takes me back to a time when Dicefreaks was a place to passionately argue motivations, hypotheticals, 'who would wins' and internal monologue of some of the most famous cosmic entities in the game.

Who even really recalls what a Shadowbane Stalker is? I'm sure it's something from one of the Complete Divine/Champion books, probably a divine assassin or rogue. But that's not really what is compelling about Beelzebub. Rather it is in that opening story, the unfolding plot, the dismissive attitude towards Surgat, the "I do not 'ask', I will command." And that is what was compelling about Dicefreaks. This reminds me of that.

I have to agree on what Dicefreaks was all about. For as much as the subtitle at the top of the page says "Where flavor meets mechanics", it always started with the search for great flavor. The mechanics we came up with were always an attempt to fit that flavor.

Some of my best memories from... has it been fifteen years? A little less? ... ago were of those tens of pages long thread debating about this or that aspect of good or evil or law, etc. I still recall the excitement of reading Serge's early work and wanting to find a way to be part of it. We were a place of great ideas and flavor.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:13 pm 

Oh, for the glory days to return... I admit I came for the high-level stats, but I stayed for the erudite discussion. The idea that mechanics should fit fluff, and vice versa, shapes my gaming philosophies as they formed, and still does to this day.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:03 pm 

I kinda ended up here on accident: I was on a Hell kick and it led me to tGoH. Then I found out WarDragon was here and forced myself in. That the community collapsed shortly thereafter is no doubt a coincidence.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:56 pm 

Yeah, Dicefreaks and tGoH had a big impact on how I design D&D material. I lurk around since some of the discussion and stat work is really neat to read, as well as inspiring.

Anyway, as far as the new parts of the perfect stalemate goes, I like the most current. It underlines exactly why Hellish politics are so complex. Layers on layers of plans as well as motivations make that shine through nicely. It's a blast to read.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:58 pm 

Leaves you wondering what will happen first: Evil attacking itself to death, or Good politically-correcting itself into complete obsolescence.