Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: "Thel."
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 pm
Posts: 1181
Within the great Cathedral of Vetra-Kali Eats-The-Eyes, the zealous cries of the soldiers of the Inquisition have turned to tormented moans and whimpers for relief. The screams of Gabriel the mage, sounding an immense agony of body and soul alike, mark the uncertain tide of battle finally shifting decisively in favor of the Nessian Knot and their dark minions.

But even before the battle is fully done, Puella is moving on. Just seconds ago, four slaves of the Knot made a break for freedom, using the magic of the Horn's teleporting thrones. Now...

Quote:
<Puella> "Soldier Melrov, take the hounds and follow."

<Puella> The witch sits upon the throne. "Thel."


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Thel."
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:14 am
Posts: 1370
Puella finds herself transported to a ruin, with little besides the teleporter throne fully intact. Walls are crumbling and overgrown with moss and vines, letting the afternoon sunlight shine into the throne room, along with the forest's sweltering heat and humidity. Any other furnishings either broken and decayed beyond repair or long since removed.

Further exploration reveals the place to be inside of a small keep, built into one of the lesser stone spires that surround the great Horn of Abbadon, a few miles distant, and easily visible over the trees. The Inquisitor's base camp is set up in the ruined entry hall, which still gave some shelter from the elements; it shows every sign of being recently inhabited, and more recently abandoned. The horses that Tengille's sorcerer spoke to Myrtle of are nowhere to be seen, nor are the girls in immediate evidence.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Thel."
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 pm
Posts: 1181
"No horses?" Puella frowns to herself, but she wastes little time wondering about the reasons. As soon as Melrov makes it through the portal behind her, she assigns the ranger to lead the tireless hounds of Hell in running down their prey. The witch herself will provide aerial support.

She rises off the ground as the hounds raise the hunter's call, ringing through the jungle.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Thel."
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:14 am
Posts: 1370
Melrov and the hounds are quickly able to pick up the trail, finding where the horses left the encampment, presumably ridden by Myrtle and the other two slaves... and lose it again just as fast. Though none of them should have the skill to evade pursuit, signs quickly peter out, and Puella herself can see no sign of them from the air. In one place, Melrov swears that he sees a set of hoofprints disappear before his eyes, as if a strong wind simply blew them away.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Thel."
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 pm
Posts: 1181
Puella presses her lips thinly.

"If you cannot follow tracks, then rely upon your judgment as a hunter. They are riding from they know not where, to they know not where, and without maps. So it must be that they will end up following the land. Where will it lead them?"

The witch scowls. There is the smell of magic and miracles about all this, but that is no excuse not to be diligent. Either might have its limits - as she well knows.

"Find the river they will run into, or the steep ravine that they will have to turn and ride along. Do not waste time. I am going to the Horn to follow other paths."

She reappears in the throne room, and swiftly dispatches Grumblejack, armed with an iron circlet, to stalk the desolate country roads bordering upon the jungle's edge.

"Dispose of any of the country people that cross your path," she commands simply, "and though you do not need it, carry a light through the night. Use that and the circlet to seem to be a rustic who can offer aid."

The ogre can fly over the swamps and thickets far faster than horses can pick their way through. Perhaps, if these runaways do make it through to Farholde, they will find a rescue much different than the one they dreamed of.

Zikomo is summoned next. The wugs are to send hunting parties out in all directions, to aid in the search from the Horn's end. It is not certain, after all, that Myrtle and her confederates are headed for Farholde.

And if not, it will be a last chance for the Bane-Wogs to prove their worth.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Thel."
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 pm
Posts: 1181
Prove their worth they did not, Dear Readers, at least not to their masters' satisfaction. The Bane-Wogs have croaked their last. It's all in the logs.

But before they died, they did bring back the corpse of one runaway. Not slain by the Knot nor their minions - but nobody outside the Knot and the Bane-Wogs knows it, and the wogs are not talking.

Puella has the body nailed to the door of the first floor's punishment room. Let the crucified corpse serve as a warning of the fate the masters deal out to runaways.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Thel."
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 pm
Posts: 1181
But the witch has other avenues. Her magic has already brought her knowledge of the runaways' hiding place. Sanctum.

But she has not yet spied out Myrtle herself. As hours turn into days after the escape, Puella bends her spells to that task again and again, till they succeed.

[will dc 21 with a -9 to -14]


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Thel."
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:14 am
Posts: 1370
It takes time, but eventually the witch does pierce the protections of whatever holy place the girl is in. She first finds her at night, praying and then going to sleep in a small, unadorned cell with a cot. The next morning, Myrtle rises early and attends a morning mass where the priest's prayers temporarily block out Puella's sight by the radiance of the god's presence. Later that same day, Myrtle is seen walking purposefully down a dirt road through an open field, with a small group of others dressed in the same plain, white robes as she.

As Puella continues to observe throughout the following day, she sees the group of pilgrims climb a great mountain, traverse a hedgemaze, and then finally be received inside a great temple. At each of these places, there is a great light that blocks her vision when Myrtle draws too near to it. Each time, when the scrying clears once again, the girl seems to have a renewed sense of purpose and resolve, even when the marks of tears track her face.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Thel."
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 pm
Posts: 1181
Puella does not neglect her scryings, even with so much else vying for her attention. She has promised to bring them back, and the witch does not take promises lightly.

Weeks have passed. Where are the runaways now?


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Thel."
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:14 am
Posts: 1370
The former slave girl appears to have found a job in a tavern; the customers are friendly, the place is clean, and she is paid well. She appears happy.

Myrtle... scrying on Myrtle after the first time grows increasingly difficult. Puella is unsure if her will has hardened, or some other force is protecting her. The next time she does get through, Myrtle is speaking with the priest she saw once before; this time, the man notices her sensor, and his face takes on a wrathful countenance as he calls upon Mitra to dispel it.

All attempts at scrying her after that prove futile.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

suspicion-preferred