Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Various SotS questions
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:40 am 

I guess these will primarily be directed at MythMage :)

Could you tell what supernal rank and HD you had/have in mind for the various faerie lords and sovereigns?

What would the base creature be for them? For instance, The Queen of Air and Darkness, or Cernunnous?

Do you have anymore info on The Queen of Air and Darkness? Preliminary stats or anything? She seems like a very interesting character. Also interested in Songs version of Baba Yaga and Cernunnous.

Thanks for any answers!

Post subject: Re: Various SotS questions
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:51 pm 

Ironically, the Queen of Air and Darkness is the least interesting character of all. Oh she seems intriguing at first, but then you realize she is nothing but superficial style, cheap sarcastic wit, and brute force. The banality of evil, except she isn't even evil. A better-dressed version of me really.

Queen's base creature, last time I checked, was a daione sidhe. Basically a super fairy with all kinds of beauty and grace. Many of the highest standing nobility in Faerie are one of these. They happen to be one of the most primal of the fey. daoine-sidhe-repost-t147.html

This thread has a bunch of really old info on some of the big bosses of Faerie the-faces-of-faerie-t286.html

Post subject: Re: Various SotS questions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:43 am 

Paranoid Incarnation wrote:
Could you tell what supernal rank and HD you had/have in mind for the various faerie lords and sovereigns?

This varies depending on the power scale we plan to use, which got a bit hazy in recent years due to Pathfinder eschewing post-20th-level character advancement. In current Pathfinder, I would lean toward numbers like the following (which are similar to the scale used for Pathfinder's demon lords and assume a rank 1 demigod averages CR ~22):

Titania: 40 HD, rank 19, CR 40
Cernunnos: 40 HD, rank 18, CR 40
The Queen of Air and Darkness: 39 HD, rank 18, CR 39
Borlung: 37 HD, rank 15, CR 37
The Snow Queen: 37 HD, rank 15, CR 37
Adekagagwa: 37 HD, rank 15, CR 37
Siobhan Alastal: 36 HD, rank 15, CR 36
Baba Yaga: 37 HD, rank 13, CR 35
Talitu: 37 HD, rank 13, CR 35
Ifadoval: 34 HD, rank 13, CR 34
Asketi: 35 HD, rank 12, CR 34
Brasil: 41 HD, CR 34
Emmantiensien: 40 HD, rank 11, CR 33
Eithne: 40 HD, CR 33
Always Falling: 32 HD, rank 11, CR 32
Nirrta: 32 HD, rank 11, CR 32
Ruona Neida: 30 HD, rank 12, CR 32
Gottenrvnr: 39 HD, CR 32
Elias Alastal: 30 HD, rank 11, CR 31
Oberon: 30 HD, rank 9, CR 30
Crieddylad: 32 HD, rank 7, CR 29
Inciona: 35 HD, CR 29
Damh: 28 HD, rank 7, CR 28
Vae: 27 HD, rank 6, CR 27
Arca Dubh: 32 HD, CR 26
Mab: 25 HD, rank 5, CR 25
Verenestra: 25 HD, rank 5, CR 25
Fate Weaver: 27 HD, rank 3, CR 25
Fionnghuala: 24 HD, rank 3, CR 24
Nairna: 29 HD, CR 24
Vivienne: 23 HD, rank 2, CR 23
Hleid: 23 HD, rank 2, CR 23
Lyonesse: 27 HD, CR 22

Quote:
Do you have anymore info on The Queen of Air and Darkness? Preliminary stats or anything? She seems like a very interesting character. Also interested in Songs version of Baba Yaga and Cernunnous.

KCG is right about the daoine sidhe as the most prolific base creature. That said, I've learned some things since my last draft of that critter and would redesign it to be less uber-nymph and more spirit of the land before building stats for Faerie Lords out of them.

Honestly, I'm a little shy about sharing the rough work on Baba Yaga and the Queen of Air and Darkness, as they didn't really get anywhere near the polish they deserved. Cernunnos didn't either, but he at least did get some appreciable review by the team, so I have posted him up in his own thread.

The Queen of Air and Darkness is a difficult character to work with due to how she was depicted in older editions, a mere puppet of a greater evil. Our version was meant to be her own master while keeping the association with apocalyptic power. I planned to build her as a fey sorcerer (for comparison, Titania is a bard). She is quick to put down anyone who openly threatens her position, but is content to subtly toy with the fears and anxieties of anyone who represents a potential threat to get them to do her dirty work without realizing what her goals are. When not orchestrating an armageddon on one miserable planet or another, she hosts competitions among her courtiers to present the strangest mutations, most novel magic, and performances of exquisite derision, pain, or sorrow. She is closely allied with some deities of death, destruction, and beauty, such as Pharasma and Calistria of Golarion, and her minions sometimes go out of their way to victimize the enemies of psychopomps and proteans when a mutual interest arises. Her minions have at times hunted down enemies of elemental evil cults in the dark wilds for similar reasons.

Baba Yaga I see as somewhat similar to her 2e depictions, a wanderer of the Mortal Coil and a masterful manipulator of foolish adventurers. She would be built as a high-level hag, possibly a storm hag or blood hag with conjurer and loremaster levels. Politically, she has enemies among the various outsider groups whose interests she opposes and whose servants she manipulates (demons, especially Orcus, devils, the greater night hags, inevitables, and powerful clerics of good deities). Her schemes usually secure her long-lasting power in the mortal world, famous artifacts related to life and death, and serve to weaken and fragment mortal civilizations on a grand scale.