Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Way of the Wicked discussion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:08 pm 

That may be true as well.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:39 pm 

I really enjoyed the Izevel scene. I really really enjoyed helping expand her horizons by straight up ripping the roof off with my giant dragon. That was way more fun than just dragging her outside.

I'm kind of curious what statues we might find. I suppose I should not be surprised that the guys who got stoned right away were mooks, and some of those might have been crushed by falling roof anyway, but I'm hoping the furthest interior, still-roofed room might hold some more badass types or maybe even some fellow priests and priestesses of hers from way back, if she had any. Even if we find little of interest it was still a good scene though.

I liked the vampire meeting scene for different reasons. Seems to me that the Gaerlan of a few months ago might have given in to his emotions and started that fight that we teetered on the edge of. The functionary guy was definitely pressing a few buttons, probably unintentionally but fairly blatantly. Also cool that we got the castle legally.

Finally I enjoyed the scene with Teeg. Some stuff alluded to there that has been on my back burner for a while. Sorry I was slow on the responses - attention on other rooms for most of it. It didn't need to be a long scene anyway, though.

Overall it was a good session. I felt more comfortable than last time, which was kind of rusty. The pace did drop off at times in the other rooms as well though.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:50 pm 

Coriat wrote:
I liked the vampire meeting scene for different reasons. Seems to me that the Gaerlan of a few months ago might have given in to his emotions and started that fight that we teetered on the edge of. The functionary guy was definitely pressing a few buttons, probably unintentionally but fairly blatantly. Also cool that we got the castle legally.

So did I, but if you thought that pressed Gaerlan's buttons... I'll just say that his automatic assumption of superiority is probably going to ruffle some feathers, here and elsewhere.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:39 am 

WarDragon wrote:
So did I, but if you thought that pressed Gaerlan's buttons... I'll just say that his automatic assumption of superiority is probably going to ruffle some feathers, here and elsewhere.

You know what he feels he's superior right?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:21 am 

This is going to be slightly truncated, because I'm rewriting it from scratch.

Largely agree with Coriat.

Gaerlan's biggest flaw is his pride - and quite intentionally. It's the source of all other flaws, and so it shouldn't really be a surprise if it creates problems: it is in fact intended to. That doesn't mean I always want things to blow up in his face (that's no fun), but I'm not going to object if he rubs some people the wrong way, or his approach doesn't work on everyone, and it creates problems (or requires people to back-fill, as Puella often does). It should not be a surprise when he reacts poorly to slights, is protective of his servants, and deals with others as (at best) peers. This is the same character that made a hobby of taunting and provoking Tiadora from like day 1. If you think he's intimidated by a vampire, or a medusa, or... well, anyone at this point really, we're on very different pages in terms of his characterization. He is only willing to let others guide a situation as needed by guile (e.g., when he is still in control of the situation in its own way).

It's also worth nothing that, in particular, his protectiveness of his servants has been a long established trait. It's the surest way to **** him off, even more than insulting him.

I greatly enjoy that non-combat options are often used to solve combats or threats. It might be one of my favorite parts of your game. Ripping off the roof instead of beating the medusa unconscious was awesome. Overall the relative non-belaboring of combat as a whole and the details of mop-up is particularly lovely. Unrelated: damyn girl, you fine. Just need to find out if she's crazy enough for Gaerlan to be truly interested.

There are some threads that are falling through the cracks, which I'd like to see picked up (this is on me as well) - most obviously Arissa.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:11 am 

Echoing the others. Izevel really was the highlight of the session. It was a fresh experience, approaching combat from a different angle than our usual, not even dealing a single point of damage (to the medusa, anyway. The roof, however...).

I do confess, once you mentioned it, I was a little sad that we won't be redeeming Izevel, as I love getting a chance to redeem an NPC, but this isn't the game for that.

Looking forward to more of her in the future.

The set-up for going after the vampire weren't particularly compelling scenes for me, but I can appreciate that Aluroon's getting to indulge in classic Gaerlan after the long break.

I am looking forward to this, though, primarily because it finally looks like the chance to make progress on the long-standing player goal of vampirizing Gaerlan.

One thing I noticed is that, ICly, Gaerlan sometimes doesn't behave as if Irulen is a full member of the Knot, relegating her to duties similar to other NPCs. Possibly a source of tension between the siblings that could be explored?

Since neither of the others seemed to broach the subject... in case the vampire doesn't take up the whole session (which he very well might), what's our next group activity? Recruiting the dwarves? The serial killer?

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 pm 

Glabrezubane wrote:
I am looking forward to this, though, primarily because it finally looks like the chance to make progress on the long-standing player goal of vampirizing Gaerlan.

Indeed, though for obvious reasons IC it isn't as pressing of a goal in the immediate.

Glabrezubane wrote:
One thing I noticed is that, ICly, Gaerlan sometimes doesn't behave as if Irulen is a full member of the Knot, relegating her to duties similar to other NPCs. Possibly a source of tension between the siblings that could be explored?

There's an in part OOC purpose here in keeping the number of characters in a given scene, combat or otherwise, relatively low. Part of the original agreement with WD was that she'd mostly be in the spot light when he wasn't, for whatever reason. That said, the idea of it as a source of tension is intriguing, though I try to avoid Irulen / Gaerlan interactions on screen.

Glabrezubane wrote:
Since neither of the others seemed to broach the subject... in case the vampire doesn't take up the whole session (which he very well might), what's our next group activity? Recruiting the dwarves? The serial killer?

The impression I got from WD was that the expectation was a meeting with Fireaxe on the horizon.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:13 am 
Site Admin

Aluroon wrote:
The impression I got from WD was that the expectation was a meeting with Fireaxe on the horizon.

Good ol' Fireaxe. How's he doing these days?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:40 am 

Extremely well, by all indications! Who knows if it'll last, though?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:06 pm 

I am not bitterly opposed to a house ruling that fiends can only breed with creatures of a matching appearance (hell hounds with dogs, humanoid fiends with humanoids - I guess also gelugons with insects, cornugons with lizards/dragons, etc.?). That said, I would prefer to keep the vanilla approach here, partly because I feel there is an enormous weight of precedent and partly because ruling otherwise would mean retconning at least one past scene.

3.x half-fiend description included:

Quote:
"A fiend's magical nature allows it to breed with virtually any creature."

A statement they backed up with a large array of published half-fiends.

In published PF material, the published a bare half-fiend stat block without flavor text, but their published monsters have continued the trend. Fiends have been shown able to breed with anything from minotaurs to griffons to cephalopod aberrations from the depths of the sea.

Now, I do not expect to actually deploy the half-fiends under discussion. In fact, ironically, the only half-fiends that seem likely to mature in anything like time to be fielded in this actual campaign would be half-fiend animals. Furthermore I have ample access to humanoid fiends through bindings. However, it seems inestimably preferable to sire a future line of half-fiends from the fiend originally gifted personally to my witch as a sign of Belial's favor than it would be to just randomly dial into an infernal sperm bank.

Either way, let me know your ruling soon so that I can adjust if needed.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next