Dicefreaks

Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to dicefreaks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Way of the Wicked discussion
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:30 pm 

Just to reiterate, we will be playing the first session of my evil campaign this Sunday. Is 1800 - 2200 EST a workable time slot for everyone? After this week, I plan to use our regular Saturday time slot.

Can everyone make their own maptool tokens, or do you need me to create one for you from the pictures you've chosen?

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Way of the Wicked discussion
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:15 pm 

[quote="WarDragon"]Just to reiterate, we will be playing the first session of my evil campaign this Sunday. Is 1800 - 2200 EST a workable time slot for everyone? After this week, I plan to use our regular Saturday time slot.

Can everyone make their own maptool tokens, or do you need me to create one for you from the pictures you've chosen?

Timing works for me. I'd love it if you created a token, since tokentool is a **** to me.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:44 am 

Swapped characters. If you have a chance Dana I'd love to swap some history on him back and forth.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:51 pm 

Sure. I'll be on AIM all day, as usual.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Session 1 feedback.

Wow. I didn't even realize how much I've missed playing. Thanks again for doing this, WD.

Our prison break went great thus far. I imagine we're dealing with warrior 1s at this point, rather than any real threats. The sergeant and wizard might be the only foes of concern as individuals, though a mass of longbow shooting, AC 16-18 having warriors can quickly ruin our day.

Despite having little disguise or bluff, we shouldn't shirk away from employing them. If they work (and there isn't a reason they won't, unless our low level foes out roll our low level selves), great. If not, we do it the murdertastic way. The ogre makes a nice heavy in front. I'll be interested in getting to know him better as a character, assuming he survives.

Nice pack of deus ex machina to help us out, even if some of us possessed the ability to free ourselves already.

Dam feels like a dwarven barbarian over an elven wizard. Puella is pretty cool, though I'm curious about her face. Since she lacks the mask, what exactly am I looking at? I'm assuming a scar marked flesh, (hence my mention of beauty), but I actually don't know. Gaer feels...like pure rival. Same distaste at overkill, similar tactics, same gear preferences, constant vying for female attention over me...we'll see where that goes.

Armed with a shield and sword, I'm dealing 1d8+4 19-20, with AC 18. Armed with claws, I'm dealing 2d4+8 (on full round), with AC 16. Not going to lie, I feel pretty badass.

Copy pasting the flavor text into a word document is step one for all my adventures, WD. If I have time, I try to go in and make sure there isn't a cutoff.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:01 am 

Feedback

I agree that we could have made our own way out; but I'm not going to knock WD for using the boxed text. The escape is going well so far and I foresee no major road-blocks; of course my tendency to hang back and avoid direct fire certainly accounts for the difference in confidence between Kain and myself. Though, a bit of metagame induction suggests that as long as we play it smart we should be fine whether we go in guns blazing or sneaky.

I told you guys I was going to have the character flaw 'kills people who slow down the game'... and I do. :) That may be some of the dwarven barbarian you see, Kain, and the rest is certainly from his blending in to the crowd he was part of. Luc is probably the most dominant personality, so consider what you saw something of a mirror, with Gaerlan second and Puella an intentional third. It is certainly an interesting little bunch -- I foresee this group capable of working together and must admit I am a little surprised. Luc and Gaeman do seem like rivals, but they are distinct enough that it can be a 'friendly' rivalry. And, Damodred is already starting to see Puella in something of a fatherly way.

WD, I would suggest being a bit more miserly with those skill check results... or being less obvious that you are giving them away. ;) I certainly appreciate the opportunity to benefit from them, but that is a common trait of new GMs (one I've always been guilty of myself) so quash your player sympathy with an iron hoof! (Sorry, too much Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog... who am I kidding? There's no such thing as too much Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog.) One way to be sneakier about it is to just get in the habit of always calling for everyone to make a perception check and then just applies modifiers based on distance yourself. :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:14 pm 

Feedback

I hadn't expected quite that little grab bag of tricks to start with - I'd have been happy for even a lock pick or a distraction - but I suppose that for a boxed adventure it is a safe item to give away. It allows everyone to have access to their toys (among other things) from the onset, which is a safer start than the alternative. I appreciated that it played into Gaerlan's arrogant direction in general - he's completely misconstrued the origin of the veil and his mystery visitor.

Lucavi I get a very black knight feel from - amusingly what Kain said he was aiming for. I think he and Gaerlan could be good foils for each other. He's less charming than Gaerlan, but more proper. I look forward to seeing how it plays out. I definitely feel like Lucavi is the stronger at this point - especially in terms of combat abilities. We'll see how it goes in the long run though. I feel like Lucavi has a lot of stuff that is strong now, while Gaerlan potentially could get stronger in the long run.

Damodred - Damodred comes off as a true sadist. Completely self interested, delighting in causing pain, and brutally efficient. I'll be interested in seeing where he goes. Gaerlan isn't exactly repulsed by it - he doesn't have a sense of empathy for Damodred's victims - but the entire thing seems very messy.

Puella - Feels very introverted. Skilled, with lots of power, but quiet, shy, and reserved. I didn't get a great feel for her personality, but there is plenty of time.

So far so good overall. Thanks to Dana for running this adventure. I look forward to seeing how our jail break goes. My thoughts run along Kain's. I'd prefer to go stealthy for now, then go into full combat once things get ugly. There is a fair bit of bluff in this party, and the more we can pick off before things go sideways the easier it is going to be in the long run. That last fight went easy with two save or loses (though I think Luc / Gaer could have totaled that guard between them), but while Puella has unlimited sleep's Damodred does not. The more we can conserve resources for now the better off we'll be later when we need them.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:26 pm 

Art is a plus.

I think, yes, so far so good (though maybe we should ask the next guy things like "how many guards" and get a clearer picture of the opposition). I suspect we're off to a relatively decent start at beginning to forge ties with one another, certainly by the standards of four villains who have never met before. Will be interesting to continue to learn what makes my fellow convicts tick. Got a few good puzzle pieces but I suspect there are plenty more to reveal.

WD, I like your portrayal of Grumblejack so far - not too many other deeply characterized NPCs to comment on, yet. Blackerly is a foe, but I'm not sure it's really become personal yet (that may require more center-screen interaction with him than we've had thus far)

For myself and my portrayal Puella, I think so far, I am pleased. We'll see how it goes!

Overall - I am looking forward to our next game.

Kain, here is Puella's maskless description from her page in the PC thread:

Quote:
This young woman might have grown beautiful in another life, but beneath her garb the marks of whip, flame and steel mar her body. Only her face is scrupulously unsullied.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:45 pm 

DM Feedback 10/13/13

I'm really glad everyone enjoyed the session (especially you, Kain, and thanks for all the advice getting ready for it). I was pretty nervous about my first time DMing live, and I'm glad I didn't manage to screw it up too badly. Sorry about the technical difficulties. Hopefully I'll be able to get the next one a bit more polished.

Yes, the veil may have been overkill for a clever and experienced group like you guys, but we don't want things to be too hard right off the bat. I can't wait to see how you use the window, though... and I'm curious just where Gaerlon does think Tiadora came from?

I'm really enjoying the interplay between your characters. The egomaniac rake, the sadomasochist knight, the just-plain-sadist snobby elf, and... I don't honestly have a good read on Puella yet. I get a little bit of a puppet master vibe off her, the way she hangs back and lets everyone else do the dirty work, just helping them out. If there's going to be a problem PC, at first glance, I tend to think it's Damodred, but I'm sure he can keep it on a leash. Just try not to murder the DM if I'm the one holding things up.

Thanks to those who mentioned liking Grumblejack; I hoped he'd fit in well with you all. I'm enjoying playing him as someone to react to you guys, and I hope he makes it out. With all your displays of magic, you've got him pretty well brought to heel at this point, even with no Intimidate checks. Every good group of villains needs minions, right?

Aluroon wrote:
Lucavi I get a very black knight feel from - amusingly what Kain said he was aiming for. I think he and Gaerlan could be good foils for each other. He's less charming than Gaerlan, but more proper. I look forward to seeing how it plays out. I definitely feel like Lucavi is the stronger at this point - especially in terms of combat abilities. We'll see how it goes in the long run though. I feel like Lucavi has a lot of stuff that is strong now, while Gaerlan potentially could get stronger in the long run.

You'll have your smite-worthy fight soon enough. :P

Vaelius wrote:
WD, I would suggest being a bit more miserly with those skill check results... or being less obvious that you are giving them away. ;) I certainly appreciate the opportunity to benefit from them, but that is a common trait of new GMs (one I've always been guilty of myself) so quash your player sympathy with an iron hoof! (Sorry, too much Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog... who am I kidding? There's no such thing as too much Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog.) One way to be sneakier about it is to just get in the habit of always calling for everyone to make a perception check and then just applies modifiers based on distance yourself. :)

I was rolling several skill checks for you guys behind the scenes. Which ones did you have in mind?

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:45 pm 

Oh, almost forgot. Everyone gets 500 xp.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next